Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, this would rate as my favorite OSU-M program, but I've never seen it for sale, and at the moment I don't have $1500 or so laying around to procure it.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Right ..... didn't mean to imply the M game was the first game in the newly constructed Shoe.

Also, very cool programs. Not sure I like the last one (your favorite). Love the first ...... that explains why you think the Shoe is such a lovely building. Tastes will vary.

At the other end (not the one pictured with the columns), which is the end I entered on the one and only osu game I have attended in c-bus, it is a dismally drab building. I was also forced out of the walk-way by large men in black uniforms and white hats surrounding Lord Tressel as he arrived for the game with his entourage. Interesting.

The other interesting aspect of my visit (beside a great tailgate with talent and his family, sans his wife who is an M fan), was my seat. Perilously high in the closed end of the stadium, I was certain I was going to fall backward and drop straight down 200 feet or so to my death below as I climbed up to it. Then, during the game, I was again certain that if I stood, I would certainly keel over and face the same death only I'd be watching as I sky dived. Frightening.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• When OSU did their massive stadium upgrade they built a shell around the original stadium. The architectural detail in the original shell was much nicer, IMO. The shell retains the overall feel, I guess, with the series of arched entries. The shell also added on the last 20 or so rows...where you were probably sitting. The upper deck used to go up to Row 22 or so, and now it's 42. I've been in the last row -- coincidentally enough -- the last time OSU lost to M in Columbus. It's a loooooooong way up.

Part of the "historical comprised" was retaining the two towers at the end and the rotunda. So the shell stops short of both. I'm of the the opinion that the lowered field (it's 14 feet down from where it was) and the permanent, massive south stands are definite improvements and the shell is a downgrade.

In the image WM linked, you can see how the shell stops short of the tower and you can see where the additional rows are. Also, at the bottom of the seating you can see a series of entry ways going around the stadium. That was basically field level prior to the renovation. They used to put little tiny bleachers on the track to maximize seating -- that's where I sat as a freshman. Fantastic seats for roughly 10 yards of the field and awful for the rest, but being that close to the field was awesome...like literally 5 feet from the corner of the endzone. Anyway, the dug up the track...dug down 14 feet and added more seats.

In WM's picture, basically the scarlet and gray seats are the original seats and the others at the top and bottom and not.
        Last edited by iam416; November 18, 2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Not sure I like the last one (your favorite)
          It's not as nice, but it's from 1901 and it's handmade. I think that's pretty cool. The art is obviously much better on the other programs.

Comment

• Biased of course but I Love M's bowl, I know wherever I sit I'll have a great view. Hate upper decks, I'll always pay much more to sit in the lower deck than the upper deck of a large stadium. Especially if that stadium has 'suites' in-between the upper and lower decks.

Comment

• My in-laws have seats in row 9 of C-deck -- the upper deck -- on the 45. They're absolutely perfect seats for watching the game. Just fantastic. In particular, they great for starting to teach my son and daughter just a little bit about the game because you have that "coaches tape" view of everything. My son knows to key the OL and try to watch the routes if they don't fire out and will occasionally call out a missed open WR.

Anway, C-deck viewing is good up to about mid 20s or so provided you're between the 15s or so.

I enjoy A-deck because it's way louder and you really feel part of the game and it gives you a different sight line than TV. But, IMO, they aren't anywhere as good as being in the lower part of C-deck.

For big games, I try to get A-deck tickets because I want that amped crowd experience. If I'm taking my kids to see some slappy team, I definitely prefer C-deck.

Personal preference, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                I have programs from the entire 1922 home schedule as part of my OSU collection.

Did you save your ticket stubs as well?

Seriously, how much did they set you back?
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• In most any stadium, I'd prefer the higher decks as long as they are up towards the front. Perfect birds eye view. My Maryland tix were upper deck on the 45 about 15 rows back and they were great.

Comment

• Did you save your ticket stubs as well?
                    Heh. I'd love to pair the tickets with the programs, but....

Seriously, how much did they set you back?
                    So, program art from that period is generally pretty cool (IMO), and OSU has some really unique program art that is exceptional. So some of these program covers are really fantastic. But they're also pricey. I used to track auctions on eBay to see if I overpaid -- back when eBay was a real auction site. And a 1922 M program would average $300 roughly. I've only ever seen 1 of the 1922 OWU program (1st Ohio Stadium game ever), so I wasn't going to be outbid for that. That was over $300. Others were less.

I ended up with most of the 1920s home programs and all of the 1930s home programs I wanted (how cool is an OSU-Mount Union program with nice art?). And then roughly 10-12 pre-1920s...not as nice, but more significant (1916 NW when OSU won its first ever Western Conference title!) or a series of Thanksgiving Day programs from 1903 to 1907.

But, I did all that collecting back when I was in private practice and before I had kids. The days of disposable income! Now I scrimp and save for other things -- namely paying OP $500 when M beats OSU

Anyway, I love the collection. Lots of it on my walls.

Comment

• I was collecting for a while...I don't have anything that old but I've got every Rose Bowl program from 1946 to 2010 minus the Michigan-USC game at the end of the 1947 season. I've got about 30 random Cornell programs from the 40's and 50's and started collecting the Sugar Bowl but had to call it quits for a while.

Comment

• 1942 Rose Bowl is the only non-OSU I wanted, but never got around to getting it. I do have all OSU RB tickets from 20th C (except impossible 1921) put together in a single frame.

Comment

• Is 1942 the Duke game moved to the East Coast? That would be cool to have

Comment

• Correct. Played in Durham.

Comment

• Talent, we can ammend the 5 bills, np. Avatars instead?
                              "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Prime ..... I am sorely disappointed in you and that offer.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X