Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It wasn't a surprise they got in, Bama Bag Men are legendary.

Comment

• I personally sent the Committee some deer jerky.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Bama schedule was lousy but it wasn't completely absent of competitive games like the Badgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          I personally sent the Committee some deer jerky.
          Where the fuck is my jerky asshat?
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Yeah, Wiz, when I saw that Vegas had Bama as a huge betting favorite to win the eye test whatever little hope I had was squelched.

If it were Washington with Alabama's identical season then OSU is in. I believe that 110%. As I said, the single most and, really, only important thing on Alabama's resume was the name Alabama.

That's the system.

In the law there's a saying that tough cases make bad law. In particular, where facts and perceived justice run up against the lae. Some judges will contort the law to reach an outcome and you end up with a horrible legal precedent that fucks shit up going forward. Most judges will bite the bullet and dispense the harsh, potentially unfair ruling.

IMO, the CFP has done the former. I don't even really dispute that Alabama is probably better than Ohio State. But, I also think they're better than Georgia. Is anyone going to keep Georgia out in favor of Alabama? C'mon. That sort of highlights the silliness of that point - but let's grant it. That's fine. OSU is too limited on offense. So, certainly defensible.

What I find way less defensible is the process. I think it was a remarkable setting aside of objective data. Either that or you just can't make it with 2 losses (sort of debunked by Auburn's ranking last week). So, there's no sense that the CFP is following any sort of rules, process or otherwise. It's entirely ad hoc with an underlying presumption that Alabama gets credit for being Alabama. Even that would be ok if they SAID IT. Instead, they cited Alabama's body of work. ZERO top 15 wins. Two close to close-is top 25 wins. And that's it. Bad precedent. Just say that it's Alabama. Because the next non-SEC team that comes along with a shit resume is not going to get in.

Now, F USC! Those asshats have beaten OSU more times in the past 14 years than M.
            Last edited by iam416; December 4, 2017, 07:57 AM.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• M-Borg Resistance/OSU Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded with by talent, esq.

Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
              WingsFan 101.38 vs. 77.72 whoDean

Chance to win 99% 1% Chance to win

Yep, Brady and Julio failed me this week. Hope that doesn't happen again in the playoffs.

This mean you are in too?
              Last edited by whodean; December 4, 2017, 07:27 AM.
              Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Well, Alabama tried to do he “right” thing by playing a #3 ranked Florida State team to start the season. It’s just more bad luck than anything that Ohio played what turned out to be a great Oklahoma team and Alabama knocked out FSU’s QB and they turned out to be a shitshow.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  the single most and, really, only important thing on Alabama's resume was the name Alabama.

That helped, and you know actual football plays on the field.

The whining is cute though. As if oLIEo isn't regularly the recipient of plenty of unjustified results. "Heh"
                  Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Maineevent:

Yeah, you can't blame Bama for a shit schedule. They tried. But it seems "they tried" shouldn't carry any weight with the CFP.

The bigger issue is 9 conference games. 3 conferences do that. Ohio State's extra conference game was either at Iowa or at UNL. M's extra conference game was either at Purdue or at Wisconsin. These are the games B10 teams (and P12 and B12) teams are playing instead of chicken shit Saturday games.

If Georgia were in the B10, e.g., they would have dropped Samford and had to play a road game against one of Bama, Ole Miss, Arky, A&M or LSU. That's what 3 conferences are doing.

Comment

• Yeah I never did get the rationale for adding the 9th game, it's like the naive Big Ten believed the lie.

Comment

• Exactly. They should go back to 8 post haste. Especially for teams in the East that have 3 hard games baked into their schedule.

What's even worse is that the B10 intentionally tries to match brands. They want "big" crossover games. Now, heh, with UNL sucking this year and basically the entire West sucking, it didn't matter much for 2017. BUT, it is still an intentional effort to create hard games - games 2 other conferences won't ever play. And in a regime where a 2 losses is absolutely disqualifying for any B10 team.

And you thought the Delaney Bowl was bad!

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                          .......The whining is cute though.....
                          Not from talent ...... the osu fan base in general? Maybe but the sensible osu fans, no.

Great analogy about contorting legal rulings that don't conform to the law but seem just then those contorted rulings fuck up future ones by creating crazy ass precedent.

That is a perfect description of the CFP Committee.

I don't have a dog in this fight other than the current system appears to arbitrarily penalizes conference champs. If every conference were identically organized and played by the same rules, scheduled games according to the same rules then maybe the concept of "the four best teams" could be fairly applied. But they don't.

The CFP committee's approach since their formation has been no different that using the Coaches and AP polls to determine the top 4 teams. My view is that how the P5's conferences/divisions are organized, not uniformly across CFB and not on the basis of competitive balance but rather on the basis of improving regional viewership to drive up the pay-off on TV contracts should drive a certain play-off approach. That would be an 8 team playoff.

This way at least, conference champs get a play-off berth and the subjective diddling around is limited to the other three spots..... and I care less about the whining of #9 in that circumstance than I care about the whining of #5.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I'm leaning toward 8, too. Might as well do 5 + Group of 5 + 2.

To reiterate, I think a healthy Bama is better. I think right now I may take OSU, but that will change. And if Bama had their normal wins then I'm way more ok with it. I still don't think 2 teams from one conference should get in, but I'm probably a kook on that.

But, to champion Alabama's "body of work" is laughable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                              Great analogy about contorting legal rulings that don't conform to the law.
                              Reminiscent of 1973 when Michigan walked off the field sure they were going to the Rose Bowl because OSU had gone the previous year. That was the rule. But wait! The rule does not apply if the Michigan QB is injured during The Game! Must have been in the fine print.
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Delaney and folks are great at making the dollars churn, they are woefully inept at this type of politics. He doesn't even bring a knife to a gunfight.

Comment

Working...
                                X