Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    So, DV folks aren't allowed to work? That's fantastic. Even better if they're married and he's the sole source of income. That will really teach everyone.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• That is what you said.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think Urban should have to forfeit all post season play after the 2014 season. Do that and call it done.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          That is what you said.
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I said you would have to be an asshole to hire someone you knew was a wife beater because it would be difficult to have any respect for them
            Right, you wouldn't hire someone who you knew committed DV. Presumably you'd also not keep someone who committed DV employed. I mean, if you know you know. There's hardly a difference as to hiring and keep employed.

So, in your world you would literally not hire some who committed DV or keep them on the job because if you do that you're an asshole and, presumably, you think you're not an asshole. Ipso facto, in your world they'd never work again.

And if someone else dares to hire or keep employed someone who committed DV then you sit in smug judgment.

Don't run from your words.If you're going to be a troll, roll with it.

Comment

• Hack, you're probably right about my ignorance regarding media. I took a journalism course at M. The prof agreed to give me a C if I promised him I'd never go into journalism. OTH my wife and kids think I'm brilliant. Fooled them.

The media. Appreciate that you style yourself into the breed of investigative reporters with integrity and who report, as Joe Friday would say, only the facts, mam. However, I don't think its a stretch to put forth the argument that there probably is a conflict of interest in all main stream media outlets (your term not mine) between reporting the facts with integrity and the organization's bottom line. Editors and TV news producers have to struggle with this when it comes to time lines v. vetting sources. As consumers of the news, we hope they work this out on the right side of the pursuit of the facts. But I'm not encouraged: Dan Rather, Brian Williams. Rachel Madow, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Jason Blair, Jonathan Karl, Lara Logan, Stephen Glass. I'm not encouraged its happening.

I think you're hair splitting when you separate social media from the media in general. My view is that these days, they are one in the same. They are both sources of information the former occupying a rapidly increasing part of the consumed news space. You can disagree. We will disagree. Clearly, the standards of writing a story on Facebook and one that gets published in the NYT are going to be different, the editorial process of the NYT supposedly more rigorous, my list of high profile news personalities, some viewed before their lies were exposed as credible reporters and journalists, not withstanding.

Getting back to the case at hand. I'll stand on my position articulated up thread that osu and urban meyer will likely be victims of the media (my term not yours) whose investigations, trial and conviction will be regarded as fact based and completely appropriate by news consumers. There is a probability that osu is going to cave under the pressure. It's all part of the drift toward alternate reality creation that, yes, the media must accept a degree of responsibility for. As well, news consumers should take the blinders off and stop lapping this shit up.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 2, 2018, 12:49 PM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I have hired a few felons in my career. I am not religious but I feel some of the Christian mythology's beliefs on forgiveness are correct. We humans are a flawed bunch. We can change, though, and I am not sure how society is served by adopting a policy of "they shall not be allowed to ever work again."

Now, hiring someone who is unrepentant and actively engaging in whatever crime is different. But on the other side of that, I also generally expect the person to actually be convicted by a jury of his peers before he is shunned, too.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Jeff what's the name of that journalism prof you had? I'd like to send a thank-you card.

Comment

• heh heh

Comment

• Comment

• I forgot. now shut-up.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• BTW, just scoured my news feeds and, you are correct, WAPO is reporting the facts. It was nice to see.

Then we have ESPN on video. I can't tell you who is on it other than Finebaum but he is rambling on about the story, about urban's history (of being less than truthful) all the while, and frequently I might add, wisely using the word alleged, allegations, not yet proven, blah, blah blah.

Still you can feel the drift from facts to opinions and I guess that's OK for Finebaum to offer up his view of things. Does the typical sports news consumer know the difference?

Comment

• FWIW Just heard in person - Urban will be let go Friday afternoon, OSU is trying to figure out how much they owe him.

Comment

• In person?
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Wings Fan is very big in Columbus. Heard he works a lot with the wrestling team.

Comment

Working...
                                X