Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AP has some more specifics...

Jim Tressel had past compliance issues

(AP) COLUMBUS, Ohio -- An evaluation of former Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel's job performance in 2005-06 rated him as "unacceptable" when it came to self-reporting rules violations in a timely manner.

In addition, Tressel was issued a letter of reprimand barely 6 months into his tenure for giving a Buckeyes jersey to a recruit in violation of NCAA bylaws. He was also warned that he and his staff needed to do a better job of monitoring the cars the Buckeyes players were driving -- an issue that would arise years later as the NCAA investigated the football program.

Tressel also had reprimands in his personnel file for permitting an outside person to coach kickers before a full team practice and allowing the mother of a recruit on an official visit to make a call for $7.93 that was billed to the university. In addition, his file contained at least two "letters of caution and education" about potential NCAA violations.

The records on Tressel were all released Friday by the university as part of a public-records request. He was forced to resign on May 30 for knowing about NCAA violations by players but hiding that knowledge. Ohio State is now facing an Aug. 12 meeting before the NCAA"s committee on infractions as a result of the scandal.
    In his '05-'06 evaluation, Tressel was graded "excellent" in 10 of 12 area. Yet the unsigned NCAA-Ohio State evaluation form also rated Tressel unacceptable in self-reporting violations and in "timely and accurate completion of phone and unofficial visit logs."

Tressel lost his job after it was discovered he knew back in April 2010 that players were receiving cash and discounted tattoos from the owner of a local tattoo parlor in exchange for OSU football memorabilia, but did not report them to his superiors or NCAA compliance officers until confronted with the evidence last January.
    This spring, the NCAA also investigated the cars driven by Ohio State players. That subject was broached in a letter from then-athletic director Andy Geiger dated Sept. 9, 2003, that cautioned Tressel that he and his staff needed to do a better job of monitoring the players' cars.

"In the course of the investigation, there were questions surrounding, among others, (redacted name's) automobiles and cell phone use," Geiger wrote to Tressel. "I am writing to make it clear that the University expects you and your staff to pay attention to auotomobiles driven by the football student-athletes and report to the Athletic Compliance Office any unusual circumstances with respect to such automobiles."

In the more recent investigation, the NCAA and Ohio State delved into the cars owned by and loaned to Terrelle Pryor, the Buckeyes' three-year starting quarterback. Pryor announced shortly after Tressel was forced out that he would forgo his final year of eligibility to make himself available for an NFL supplemental draft.

The material released Friday by Ohio State also included:

- A letter of reprimand for allowing Dr. Pat Spurgeon to work with kickers before a full team practice. Geiger wrote: "It is our goal to avoid all violations. ... It is your responsibility to adhere to the NCAA rules and make sure you and your coaching staff understand the importance of strict compliance with all NCAA rules."

- Another letter of "caution and education" in Tressel's file, that said he allowed an unidentified student-athlete to "practice with the team during fall camp for 19 days despite (his) not having completed his NCAA Drug Testing Consent Form."

Tressel's attorney has said that the ex-coach intends to join Ohio State officials, including current athletic director Gene Smith and interim head coach Luke Fickell, for the August meeting before the committee on infractions.

Ohio State has suspended six players (five after Pryor's departure) for the first five games of the 2011 season and has vacated its 12 wins from the 2010 season, including its victory over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. In addition, it also self-imposed a two-year NCAA probation. The NCAA can choose to accept those penalties or can add to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clashmore Mike View Post
      First and foremost (and this isn't necessarily a proportional comparison), I saw all ya'll defending DickRod* when he was getting sanctioned by the NCAA...except that you were safe and sound amongst peers...not on a dedicated OSU board.

After that...all I'd say is that DSL doesn't have to be here, he chooses to be here at one of the lowest points I've seen Buckeye nation in awhile. The internet doesn't require accountability...and yet he is here for his team. I respect that.

*I assume it's all good to call him "DickRod" now that you don't have to defend him anymore...
      RichRod's sins were infinitely smaller than The Vest's. Showing up here to offer mouth diarrhea is still not impressive. What Hannibal and JRB just offered is priceless.
      Last edited by Rocky Bleier; July 15, 2011, 10:31 AM.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• You can bet Rich Rod would never let a player's mom make a $7.93 phone call on a university phone. Because Rich Rod believes in the Rule of Law

Comment

• Yeah, that's really what this last AP article is about.

Comment

• I can't speak for everyone else, but I wasn't defending RichRod once all of the details of Stretchgate were clear. The belief amongst a lot of Michigan fans at the time was that Bill Martin ran a completely disorganized and incompetent athletic department that submarined RichRod. I'm still not sure about that. Regardless of the reason for the violations, we penalized ourselves in a manner that was proportional to the competitive advantage that we received by practicing for 15 extra minutes a day and having some obscure assistant monitor summer workouts. People in the athletic department were fired. All of this for a series of microscopic violations that were discovered after an investigation was launched under false pretenses.
            Last edited by Hannibal; July 15, 2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Jim Tressel blows it up and Gene Smith assures us there is nothing to it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjK2Oqrgic"]‪Nothing to see here‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Frankly, I am stunned by what appears to be malicious incompetence on the part of AD gene smith. If I'm andy gieger, when I do my turn over and pass down, I make a point to let smith know that tressel needs watching as gieger apparently did watch him and recorded violations that were perpetrated by him heretofore not publically known.

I'd like to know if there is crossover here between what geiger knew and was doing about osu's basketball program and Jim Obrien in 2004. Looks to me like geiger was doing a good job gigging tressel. Was he gigging Obrien? My bet is that he was ..... like, doing his job. geiger retired in 2005 and it does not appear that had anything to do with Obrien ..... but maybe it had something to do with tressel in that he was riding him too hard and someone wanted to hire a guy who wouldn't.

In comes gene smith in 2005 and then gee in 2007.

Something just smells bad here as it doesn't pass the stink test. There is an appearance that tressel may have wielded tremendous political power arranging for the hiring of an AD who wouldn't ride him thus giving tressel free reign to do what was necessary to keep the pipeline of high level talent pouring into the football program.

Something like this would have had to be engineered at high levels involving the Regents. Did tressel's reach go that far up? Maybe it did. I don't think its unfair to advance the argument that people involved with the management of osu's football program brought in managers who not only had connection with the NCAA Compliance boys (smith) but a guy who was willing to let tressel do what was necessary to insure the advancement of that schools football program. smith may be responsible for concocting a scam NCAA compliance reporting system that was intended to hide the more significant misdeeds of jim tressel. gordon gee may have been guilty of looking the other way as he may have been told to do by those that wrote his contract (the highest paid public University President in the US)

From gee's statements in the last 6 months, he appears to be a guy out of control and not in the loop with regard to the job his two principals (gene smith and jim tressel) were doing in his athletic department. Was that purposeful?

Lots of unanswered question here about how high up the misdeeds of osu go. Seems to me a case can be made that they go pretty high.
                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; July 15, 2011, 12:58 PM.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Frank Drebin and the NCAA have Auburn and ohio state surrounded.

"Looks like they're holding all the cards, Frank".

http://movieclips.com/DjAb-the-naked...rank-the-tank/
                  Last edited by Mike; July 15, 2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• If there was really nothing to see, why did Tressel resign?

Comment

• You'd have to ask Gene Smith, WM.

Comment

• I forgot to highlight perhaps the most interesting paragraph from that Dispatch article...

Other records from Ohio State were heavily redacted, censoring vital information. For example, in a May 6 email to Smith from the compliance office, the university blacked out the number of football players who had purchased cars from particular dealerships over a three-year period.

Comment

• Not earth shattering but osu seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.

In this press release from early Friday evening, it is reported that Doug Archie signed a check from the Athlete's "Emergency Fund" for $606 for car repairs in April to Auto Direct for an osu football player thought to be tp (redacted).

Can you imagine Michigan's compliance officer signing a check from a university account to pay for Denard's car repairs? Maybe this is legitimate but even if it is the appearance of it would make any reasonable man not even think about doing it.

You can't make this stuff up. Just incredibly stupid.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• All part of the plan. Not a big deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              Regardless of the reason for the violations, we penalized ourselves in a manner that was proportional to the competitive advantage that we received by practicing for 15 extra minutes a day and having some obscure assistant monitor summer workouts. People in the athletic department were fired. All of this for a series of microscopic violations that were discovered after an investigation was launched under false pretenses.
                              Yep. Heads rolled at Michigan for some petty shit, but tosu has Tressel "resign" (no, wait, "retire") and then acts like they're clean. This most recent revelation makes it obvious that Gene Smith is a big part of the problem and should be shown the door.
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Doug Archie, compliance director, is the one who paid a $600+ auto bill for TP with 'emergency athlete funds.'

This goes a whole lot deeper than Tressel who mysteriously got a 'retirement' instead of 'resignation'; probably in exchange for Ohio throwing him under the bus. He's due for a 'show cause' penalty from the NCAA and it would be very difficult for him to coach at the NCAA level again...

BTW, how many times did Gene Smith need to say, 'nobody but Tressel knew of these violations.' Keep saying it, maybe even you'll believe it soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X