Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Though I was advised otherwise by certain NCAA rules experts (you can't have two head coaches!), Coach Fickell and his staff will coach the Gator Bowl. UFM will not be involved.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Here's the problem. We can all make fun of the turbin hire and furbin himself. But he's a great coach. One of the reasons he is? Organizational skills. Something Rodriguez lacks and may never acquire if his performance at Michigan is reflective of that.

meyer does nothing fancy. His teams play great defense. He runs an offense that makes the opponent defend the entire width of the field. It's a single back spread out of the gun. It has three basic components, a basic option offense, a short/timing passing game, and a triple option scheme. The triple option/QB read option is basically a split back veer out of the shotgun. Brionte Dunn don't believe a thing liar meyer tells you; you'll have no major roll whatsoever in an offense like this. It will be miller's and some fast skill guys who are good in space (where have we heard that before). miller is a perfect fit in the offense that meyer will probably run at osu. I'm not 100% sure the OL fits but he'll get it there quickly because, well, he's a darn good coach and will hire a staff that will be just as good as he is and will be 100% on board.

Under tressel's defenses, osu made a habit out of grinding up and spitting up offenses like meyer will probably debut at osu. That's going to be interesting in and of itself but, in the end, I'll bet M's and osu's offenses look remarkably alike in a lot of ways ...... at least in the 2012 season.

I have a sense that one of the big reasons the timing was right for turbin to return to football and to osu was because he feels HE will be a success at osu because of miller; I also think he knows that the NCAA is pretty much done punishing osu. If the NCAA wasn't, I don't think he comes. HIS ego is too big for him to risk disappointing osu fans and the media and tarnishing his rep.

Buchanan, just wanted to quote for general accuracy. I think you're right about what has made UFM an incredibly successful coach and I think you're generally right about why he came out of retirement now. TBH, I think he would have rather waited a few years, but the OSU job came open now and, as you noted, he really likes Braxton Miller. It's odd -- when he was doing a recruiting show for ESPN last signing day, Miller was the one recruit he really raved about.

I do disagree a bit with your take on Dunn. I think UFM wants a big back in his offense. In 2006 Wynn was that guy. For the next 3 seasons, they used Tebow in that role. Miller isn't big enough to fill that role. He'll need someone big (he has Carlos Hyde at the moment).

What I will agree on his that his offenses haven't had a true "feature" back. He generally uses several different backs, very effectively -- to the tune of 600/700 yards per season.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Though I was advised otherwise by certain NCAA rules experts (you can't have two head coaches!), Coach Fickell and his staff will coach the Gator Bowl. UFM will not be involved.
        Not sure over the past decade where OSU exhibited any interest in playing by NCAA Rules & Regulations.? Urban Myth will be "coaching" from a secure and undisclosed location.
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Apparently OSU was granted a waiver to allow Meyer to recruit but he cannot do any coaching of the team.

I trust OSU at their word.
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I don't know why Meyer should NOT coach in the bowl game. He's been hired as the new coach. He's collecting a paycheck. Put him to work.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It's not his team or his staff. He won't even have his staff in place until after the bowl games.

Frankly, I'd rather have him focused on recruiting.

Comment

Frankly, I'd rather have him focused on lying.
                Fixed it for you.
                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Brilliant, insightful and a fantastic contribution.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                    Apparently OSU was granted a waiver to allow Meyer to recruit but he cannot do any coaching of the team.

I trust OSU at their word.
                    Good point SLF.
                    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I don't blame you iam. I'd love to have a full time coaching staff doing nothing but recruiting too.

Comment

• I think he'll be there.

After all, this bowl is about him.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• He won't.

Comment

• Too big a chicken?

Comment

• He wants to spend some more time with his Family.....

Comment

I do disagree a bit with your take on Dunn. I think UFM wants a big back in his offense. In 2006 Wynn was that guy. For the next 3 seasons, they used Tebow in that role. Miller isn't big enough to fill that role. He'll need someone big (he has Carlos Hyde at the moment).

What I will agree on his that his offenses haven't had a true "feature" back. He generally uses several different backs, very effectively -- to the tune of 600/700 yards per season.
                                ........ Dunn wants to be a featured back. hyde looks to be a solid replacement for herron. What it will come down to is whether he thinks he'll get more (earlier) playing time at M or at osu, what kind of OL he'll be running behind and what kind of coaching he'll have.

I think an argument can be made that he's not more likely to play as a Freshman at either program. It's a wash. As far as offenses and offensive lines go, if he's looking to step to the NFL as a RB, he's better off at M. I can't compare Fred Jackson with osu's running back's coach (which is an unknown because osu doesn't have a hire yet (right?). But M's Fred Jackson has sent a lot of good backs to the NFL. I think that may be the swing factor for Dunn to M.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X