Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct. Exhibits compliance! Which is why it is hilarious that ESPN splashed this story.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Do other teams self-report at all? I feel like I never see info for other schools

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Correct. Exhibits compliance! Which is why it is hilarious that ESPN splashed this story.
        Well now that everybody knows what an SEC-style program OSU runs, you're bound to get more scrutiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          Well now that everybody knows what an SEC-style program OSU runs, you're bound to get more scrutiny.
          I would think being SEC-like would invite less scrutiny, not more

After a 16 hour investigation we can positively conclude that Cam Newton's recruitment was completely clean and neither he nor his father have received a single penny illicitly since he committed to Auburn.

Comment

• Wasn't this their strategy before, to admit to tons of inconsequential little things?
            If it wasn't their "strategy" last time to throw up a smokescreen/diversion, it sure seemed to be. Remember, where there's smoke, there's fire...

• Athletic director Gene Smith and alumni association CEO Archie Griffin filmed a video message to football recruit Ezekiel Elliott, another secondary violation.
            Like several said in posts above, these appear to be "chickenshit' infractions---and I emphasize, appear, with the exception of the one I posted above involving Gene Smith. That one I don't get---how the hell does the AD himself do something that obviously involved a f'n LOT of planning and they call it "secondary"?! Of all people, Gene Genie had to know this one was wrong before, during, and after being involved, especially after the major violations ohio just got busted for with sweatervest.

Shame on Archie, too, for this one.

Comment

• how the hell does the AD himself do something that obviously involved a f'n LOT of planning and they call it "secondary"?!
              because in terms of consequence it is secondary
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• The Gene Smith one is dumb. But then, Gene Smith is dumb.

The others, who cares? I'm confident things of that "severity" occur even at Michigan. It's possible you don't bother reporting it to the NCAA since they are so small and petty.

Tobacco products + Fieldturf = NCAA violation...who knew?

Comment

Correct. Exhibits compliance! Which is why it is hilarious that ESPN splashed this story.
                  Well, I'm happy for them that their compliance department is doing that part of their job and "self-reporting" their violations. But was there something that got out in the open that prompted them to realize "oh-oh, we better get out in front of this!"?

Not only that, but shouldn't the compliance department be the first place Gene Genie calls when even thinking about doing stuff like putting together a "recruiting video" to send to a prospective recruit? Maybe, just maybe, too, they ought to try the "ounce of prevention" strategy by educating everyone, from Gene Genie on down, on the basics and more.
                  Last edited by Rob F; May 19, 2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• FWIW, the NCAA praised OSU's compliance, by and large. The self-reporting trivial bullshit stuff works.

Anywho, the nice thing about running an "SEC-style" program is that, well, SEC teams dominate. As OSU has and will.

Comment

• But was there something that got out in the open that prompted them to realize "oh-oh, we better get out in front of this!"?
                      Highly unlikely. This is SOP. The reason it's a story is Doug Lesmerises did a FOIA request for OSU's reported secondary violations across all sports and did a story on it for the Plain Dealer. Otherwise all of these trivial, non-story violations remain unknown and gathering dust. However, because it's Ohio State, THE Ohio State University, his story has enough "legs" to get picked up a little bit. Meh, whatever. They're going to continue to report absurd secondary violations until the cows come home. He can run the same story next May.

To be fair to the reporter, he's pretty much like "this is nothing" -- but he knows what sells.

Comment

• I'm not sure which is my favorite, but I like this one a lot:

On Aug. 20, assistant coach Dick Tressel responded to a text message from the parents of recruit Warren Ball asking which gate to use to enter Ohio Stadium for a scrimmage. Texting the parents of a recruit was a violation

Comment

• Glad to see Meyer making a "difference" at Ohio. He appears to be as ethically challenged as Tressel.
                          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

..... the nice thing about running an "SEC-style" program is that, well, SEC teams dominate. As OSU has and will.
                            ..... and in your world, this is fine. Have I got that right?

Moral and ethical boundries for those involved in osu sports - fans, players, employees - are always blurred. This I know with certainty. It's something about the culture down there .... maybe its the shit filled waters of the Olentangy River.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Michigan pioneered the concept of "professionalizing" college football. They were even kicked out of the Western Conference because they refused to a) give up the ringers Yost recruited to play for Michigan and b) refused to require that the football coach be a faculty member.

Michigan's faculty was actually in support of the Western's reforms in 1905-1907 but Yost and the athletic boosters and people who supplied the money to hire ringers spat in anger.

Spearheaded by the request of Michigan’s president James B. Angell, officials from the schools representing the Western Conference (U-M, Chicago, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana) met in Chicago in January 1906 to discuss major reforms.  Their target? Michigan football and its coach Fielding H. Yost. Here's how it played out.

Comment

• Funny. Thought CFB didn't exist pre 1950?

Comment

Working...
                                X