Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Still, the criticism Meyer has taken is less about blaming him specifically for the crimes that Hernandez allegedly committed, and more about the general sense that he cares a lot more about winning (which he has done everywhere he’s been, including an undefeated first season at Ohio State last year and two national championships at Florida, where he coached Hernandez) than he does about molding young men, or promoting a strong educational atmosphere, or any of the other things that are supposedly part of college sports.

As Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi wrote, “by the time Meyer left UF, his program was like a fleabag motel, infected from the shady characters he recruited and the discipline he failed to instill.” Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins may have put it best when asked to describe the kind of program Meyer ran at Florida: When Meyer left and new Florida coach Will Muschamp kicked Jenkins off the team after two marijuana arrests, Jenkins said, “No doubt, if Coach Meyer were still coaching, I’d still be playing for the Gators. Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win.”

Meyer does know what it takes to win. And at Florida, where his players were arrested at least 31 times, he won with a lot of off-field trouble makers on his team. It’s fair to criticize Meyer for that, even if his wife and daughter wouldn’t want to hear it."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Good ol' Butthurt Bianchi Prime. Still hurts to see UFM at Ohio State, doesn't it? Heh heh.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think there is a reasonable argument to be had about what the goals of college sports, the big revenue sports in particular, should be all about.

The notion that there is such a thing as a "student athlete" has become greatly diminished as college sports have become money making entertainment. Division I football is at center stage here. Division II wants a share of the money pie. There are others on the margins who either don't care to enter that fray and have said so (The Ivy League) and strap hangers that are just looking for easy ways to boost revenue so they can offer various athletic programs that will, at least, attract some more tuition paying folks to support the bloated salaries of their respective professors. Running a college is not cheap!

I also think that maintaining the value of the student athlete in college sports is key to preserving it as most of us have come to enjoy it. Tough row to hoe, however. A lot of work needs to be done to do that in a responsible way while allowing the inevitable impact of money to not do more damage.

What I'd like to see those in charge at the conference level (I don't trust an inept NCAA, who has their own self serving fingers in the money pot that is the NCAA basketball tournament to do it) doing is working to avoid big time college athletic departments becoming nothing more than front offices for what amounts to pro-sports where the athletes aren't paid and administrators are pocketing a ton of money.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• thats ... just wrong ...
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Geeze!

I've learned old men should keep their shirts on ...... even if you are taking hormone enhancement therapy.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yep...

The point is this: Tebow was the great deodorizer for a Meyer program that often reeked from the stench of players running afoul of the law.

Yep...unfortunately...

The notion that there is such a thing as a "student athlete" has become greatly diminished as college sports have become money making entertainment.
                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• That's actually not a bad article, that sums up Urbie. He does whatever it takes to win, and certainly delivers results. He is definitely a coach well-suited for Ohio... their fans should be giddy.

Comment

• EDIT: To give the thread a more appropriate name. I may change it again ... I may not... Depends on how long I go without my meds....
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• If one wants to think UFM is the devil, read articles by Bianchi and posts by Bianchi Prime. If one wants the truth, read more.

In any event, what everyone seems to agree on is that UFM is a hellagood coach. Why, even M fans were acknowledging that they believe he'll win a title at OSU.

Comment

• Our Gallant Defeat of the Day harkens back to RichGOD's first season. In 2008, an undersized, undertalented M team showed the heart and effort of true M men. They fought their undertalented guts out, but in the end lost more than they won. However, to every true M fan, those noble young men epitomized what it means to don the Maize and Blue and accrue one Gallant Defeat after another.

The game I've chosen from 2008 is M's bitterly contested border war loss. Undoubtedly their opponents were bigger, faster, surely cheating and probably received on officiating break after another in the game. But brave M heroically hung in against their border foes before finally succumbing. The loss to Toledo wouldn't be the last Gallant Defeat to a MAC foe either, though we'll have to change sports. In any event, this is the key play in M's brave loss to the Rockets (plenty of good seats still available, apparently):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAQ4KhhgT5M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAQ4KhhgT5M[/ame]

Comment

• One of my all time favorite osu defeats.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oPoXWRnJiE&feature=player_detailpage"]VICTORY.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• A loss from the 2011 season? I mean, ok, but that team sort of sucked donkey balls. 7 losses. The previous 6 seasons Ohio State had 11 total losses and 17 in the previous 9. That team was an abomination and a disgrace (though M fans surely envy their numerous "Gallant Defeats").

I would have thought the 2009 loss to Purdue more worthy of a nutshot loss.

Comment

• That is no way to start a day, full of hatred and anger.

OSU is obviously the 2nd best team in the B1G as the overwhelming facts clearly support while Michigan defines the Gold Standard since time immemorial.

Think about it, what are we now Team # 134, Christ we invented football, the longevity is truly amazing.

Nothing wrong with Silver Talent, try to have a nice day.
                              Last edited by Optimus Prime; July 18, 2013, 08:28 AM.
                              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                I would have thought the 2009 loss to Purdue more worthy of a nutshot loss.
                                Agreed ...... it was just the first one I found. Still, watching Danny Hope gloat in the post game press conference was pretty hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X