Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I think at this point in time it's indisputable that offenses function better when you have fewer physical battles to win. Horizontal constraints, a running QB, various option plays -- all designed to remove defenders without a block.

At some point in time, though, you're going to have block someone pretty damn good if you want to win a national title. Oregon, for whatever reason, runs into that problem. Auburn's really good DL whipped them in 2010 and OSU's DL whipped them this week. Other "spready" teams in different conferences -- OSU this year and Auburn last year -- have OLs that are built knowing they'll have to block some really good DLs. Auburn, in particular, ran all over a fantastic FSU DL last year.

But, yeah, defense. Chris Ash is a huge fan the MSU quarters/press coverage scheme. And he has a DL that allows him some latitude. And Darron Lee is a fantastic player that was built to play in space and defend the spread.
    Last edited by iam416; January 14, 2015, 12:18 PM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• To me the problem with Oregon and other system teams is they are beholden to the system. They will stubbornly stick to it. There are times when you are going to need something else to fall back onto. The best teams can beat you numerous ways.

That's not to say Oregon's way can't win but they have to upgrade things they do. I kind of liken them to Nebraska of the late 80's, early 90's. They have a great offense that piled up points but didn't quite have the defenses of the Miami and Florida State. Osborne started recruiting better athletes on defense and all of a sudden you had a juggernaut program.

Comment

• Some of you may have seen the story about Jacob Jarvis on the BTN's Journey. ESPN picked it up and did something for the CFP build-up. These pictures were my favorite on Monday night/Tuesday morning. Good stuff: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...y-on-the-field

Comment

• Cardale is, apparently, still undecided on the NFL. I still wouldn't be at all surprised if he declares.

Comment

• There is little proof that Jones has the accuracy it takes to being a starting NFL QB.
            His biggest plays were made by his legs or by chucking it up to Smith & others... Denard Robinson like throws (Hail Mary to WR!).

Yes, Jones has a great arm strength, is hard to tackle, and huge size... but those QB traits are far behind the importance of accuracy and pocket mobility.

People shouldn't be fooled by that and how EVERYTHING around Jones made him look better... the elite coaching (Meyer + Herman) and elite talent. Also, defenses played Ohio State in a way that should allow QBs to pass the ball. Stopping Elliot was the focus.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Cardale is, apparently, still undecided on the NFL. I still wouldn't be at all surprised if he declares.
              Me neither. The guy has mouths to feed.

Comment

• Won't have to play no school. Srsly though, I can see the argument. Strike while the iron's hot.

Comment

• If his draft value was more predictable I think it would be an easier decision. If he was a surefire 3rd round pick, then I'd say go. That's a lot of money. But I think he could end up getting drafted considerably lower than that.

On the other hand, I guarantee UFM has told him it will be an open QB competition, so there's a very real possibility he may not start next season. If he were a guaranteed starter I think the decision is easy, too.

The variables on both ends make this a really complex decision for him. I've never seen anything like it. A kid who has played 3 games potentially getting drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. A kid that could get drafted in the 3rd round not assured of starting if he returns.

Comment

• Ezekiel Elliot set the B10 CG rushing record, the Sugar Bowl rushing record and the BCS Title/CFP game rushing record in Cardale's three starts. So, yeah, the point about others around him helping out is one that has to be taken seriously.

I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but in a way JTB's injury may have really forced Herman and UFM to focus on what they do REALLY well. So maybe they went back to the run a bit and really felt like they were going to ride Elliot to help Jones. And so Elliot ends up going off because he's the lynchpin. That said, in the CFP games they didn't treat Jones with kid gloves. They asked him to make some tough throws and didn't shy away from passing on first down. And he delivered gads of huge 3rd down completions. Interesting to think about the way the offense changed with CJ vs what it was with JTB. At least for me.

Comment

• I'm not in NFL heads but not third round. Nobody's gonna do that. Fourth or fifth maybe, and that's a decent shot. Guaranteed contract. Better than sitting invisible for a year.

Comment

• I wouldn't draft Jones if I was a GM. UDF, then yes.

I'm interested to see where Winston & Mariotta go. Tennesse is a situation where one of them might thrive with the young talent in place. The Titans have spent a significant amount of resources on their offensive line (Lewan, Warmack, Oher, Schwenke, & Levitre) & have two young WRs (Hunter and Wright). With an offensive minded head coach like Whis, that sounds like a good situation to me.

TB? Not so much. Lovie never seems to get his offense right. Their offensive line is one of the worst. There is Mike Evans... That's about it.
                        Last edited by Cody_Russell; January 15, 2015, 12:25 AM.
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Thing about the draft is 31 teams could think he's a POS, but if just 1 team likes him, he could go pretty high.

Comment

• The other thing is that I've understood this to be a weak draft year for NFL QB's. Mariotta and Winston and then not much else. That might artificially inflate CJ's value.

Comment

• C. Jones might work out with a NFL team that has a QB coach who'd put in the time to develop him. He's got great physical attributes, and he could probably make all the throws he needs to make. Tackling him is probably akin to trying to tackle a tree trunk. He'd be a bit of a project, but with the right coaching, he could be a good one.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• His arm strength is high-end NFL. He can make every throw. But, so could Jamarcus Russell. I think the biggest knock on Cardale if I'm an NFL guy is that he was beat out by JTB.

One advantage Cardale will have at Ohio State is that both Braxton and JTB are out of spring practice. He will get every first string rep.

Comment

Working...
                                X