Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
    he can rake in tons of cash for signing memorabilia the moment he declares

Why must he wait? Never stopped the Buckeyes before...
    heh
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I think this is smart.. it is a weak class for QB's and if he goes to a team with a starter where he can learn for a couple of years, take the money. Sitting on the bench won't improve his stock AND i'm not sure the OSU system will either. Good year to be in his shoes. Next year may not..
      It's certainly an understandable move. The stars have certainly aligned for him. I mean, think about where he was on the morning of November 29th before the M game. He defines meteoric rise.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        From a football perspective that's very compelling. From a financial one, not so much.
        The only financial perspective where it makes sense to leave early to be a mid round (at best) pick is for the very short term.

Look at guys who have had long, successful NFL careers. How many of them were "project" guys? Cardale won't have a college degree to fall back on to be a gym teacher/high school coach ala Ray Jackson or Tryone Wheatley. 60 years is an awful long time to stretch out the $4 million or $6 million that he will make as a mid round draft pick. If he goes as a first rounder in a couple of years, he will make more money with his signing bonus than he would have made by leaving early. Plus, he has a much better shot at a 10+ year career ala Drew Brees, Tom Brady, etc. Even if you suck, you usually get a second gig just by virtue of another team thinking that maybe they can unlock your potential. Even Ryan Leaf managed to draw an NFL paycheck for five years!
        Last edited by Hannibal; January 15, 2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• hanny.. I don't believe his stock can rise, even starting next year
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
            The only financial perspective where it makes sense to leave early to be a mid round (at best) pick is for the very short term.

Look at guys who have had long, successful NFL careers. How many of them were "project" guys? Cardale won't have a college degree to fall back on to be a gym teacher/high school coach ala Ray Jackson or Tryone Wheatley. 60 years is an awful long time to stretch out the $4 million or $6 million that he will make as a mid round draft pick. If he goes as a first rounder in a couple of years, he will make more money with his signing bonus than he would have made by leaving early. Plus, he has a much better shot at a 10+ year career ala Drew Brees, Tom Brady, etc. Even if you suck, you usually get a second gig just by virtue of another team thinking that maybe they can unlock your potential. Even Ryan Leaf managed to draw an NFL paycheck for five years!
            Cardale and I may not be of the same approach, but given me a quarter of that amount I know what to do with it and will be set for life. So, bird in the hand. Injury risk, time to scout him properly, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
              Cardale and I may not be of the same approach, but given me a quarter of that amount I know what to do with it and will be set for life.
              If you live in a trailer park, perhaps.

Comment

• Cardale Jones' big problem is uncertainty at Ohio State. From what I understand, if UFM told him he'd be the starter next season, he would come back. My sense is that UFM will make no such promise because, well, why would you? UFM is in Cleveland with him and maybe he has a change of heart and promises CJ the keys, but I doubt it.

So CJ will make lots of money. Ohio State also has a program that pays for remaining credits to graduate for kids who leave early, so he can get his degree. And whether he gets his degree or not, there's always going to be work for him in Columbus. I wouldn't be surprised if it's TV work...he seems to be really engaging, at least from interviews I've seen. I mean, a local station is paying Jay Richardson (for DL) and Ben Buchanan (former kicker) to do Buckeye shows right now.

If Cardale keeps his nose clean and doesn't go all Ray Rice or even Ryan Leaf in terms of human behavior, he'll have plenty of opportunities for gainful employment in Columbus to supplement the cash he's going to get from the NFL.

Tom Herman said of JTB and Cardale that the reason they went with JTB was because he was more steady. When Cardale was good he was off-the-charts fantastic, but his bad was beyond horrible. So they thought JTB was the safest choice to shepherd them through the season. Now, this was in Summer Camp. By mid-season I think it became clear that JTB's good was really, really good, too.

Comment

• BTW, I'd love to have Cardale back. He makes throws that JTB and Braxton simply can't make. He made probably 5 or 6 throws in the CFPs that were ridiculous.

JTB is brilliantly accurate, but he's not squeezing shit into a tight window in the middle of the field.

Comment

• I'm fairly certain I could live off a 4% annuity on $4M for the remainder of my days.

Comment

• Apparently they pushed the press conference back so that UFM (and Ted Ginn Sr) could try to talk Cardale into staying. Interesting.

Comment

• Desperate times, desperate measures.

Comment

• I have more of those:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times - Dickens

To be, or not to be - Shakespeare

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump's mom

Obla di Obla da - Paul McCartney

We'll take the wind - Marty Mornhinweg
                          Last edited by Rocky Bleier; January 15, 2015, 02:07 PM.
                          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Dark days. Ohio State is set to lose their national championship QB early to the NFL.

Comment

• LOL @ Oracle and LOL @ Rocky. Good stuff.

Comment

• Stupid move on his part. Three games as a starter? He'll be forgotten faster than you can say Terelle Pryor.
                                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Working...
                                X