Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
    Hart ran behind a pathetic OL for all but his freshman season. Offensive line talent (along with coaching/development) really took a nosedive around '04 and has yet to really recover... Hart saw tons of defenders in the backfield, sometimes 4-5 on one play. He worked amazingly hard for some 0-4 yd gains...

No, not arguing Hart would've been a Heisman candidate, just that he should've been a near 6yd/carry back if his offensive line was average.
    Hart definitely ran behind some crappy OLs but people forget that Biakabutuka broke school records running behind a mediocre bunch with a terrible QB (sophomore Griese) taking snaps. Runyan was pretty good but everyone else on that line (Guynes, Payne, Denson, Adami) was pretty average. I think of Biakabutuka as a bigger version of Mike Hart but with a little more burst. Hart would have been a Heisman candidate if he could run a 4.4 40.

Comment

• Not officially an RB, but Denard should also be in the conversation when it comes to best ever at the position. He was arguably the best ball carrier that we have ever had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
        ....... Hart would have been a Heisman candidate if he could run a 4.4 40.

....... and had maybe two more guys of Runyan's skills on the OL that he was running behind. He did have some of the best vision I've seen of M backs and your are spot on, if he had some burst speed then top end speed to get separation, he would have been great. I clearly remember him getting run down by most Ss from lowly Indiana to osu.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The '06 line was good or, at least, acceptable.

Hart also suffered from shitty play calling. Even with that though, he had about five or six 10-15 yard runs every game where he would burst into the secondary but not take it all the way. Probably the best chain mover that I have ever seen. Squandered, of course, by the disasters of the late Carr era.

Comment

• Of course and admittedly, I've got that limited CFB mind focused on M football. I know the history to a certain extent but outside of that, meh. Like to hear some run game osu history that compares to M's.
            Well, a substantial number on the M list are relatively recent. Wheatley, Hart, Perry, Biakabutuka and Thomas. Plus Jamie Morris from the 80s.

Keith Byars was every bit the back and better than Jamie Morris.

Eddie George was every bit the back as Biakabutuka and a Heisman winner.

Chris Wells was better than any M back in the 2000s (Perry, Hart).

Maurice Clarett would rate very highly as a CFB player even with a single season (Biakabutuka, as noted, had one full season of starting).

Carlos Hyde had a really good season in 2013 and ended up as 2nd round pick by HARBAUGH!

Ezekiel Elliot, well, he's been good and will have another year to add to his tally and maybe get into the first round if they're still drafting RBs in the first round.

In the 80s, they also had Tim Spencer.

In the 70s, Archie Griffin and Pete Johnson.

In the 60s, John Brockington.

In the 50s, Hopalong Cassady.

In the 40s/1950, Vic Janowicz won the Heisman. Les Horvath also won the Heisman, but he was more of a QB/HB in the single wing.

And the all-timer is Chic Harley, OSU's first 3-time All-American and legend.

I'm sure I'm forgetting others.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• '69, M 24, 0su 12.

I remember Brockington but remember Kern more ..... for the number of times he threw the ball to Barry Pierson.

I could not find the box score for the game as I wanted to see Brockington's stats. This was the beginning of the classic slug fests of the 10 year war. Hope those times will return but I already know they won't be slug fests. urbs is no Woody!

Brockington played halfback and fullbackfrom 1968 to 1970. He was one of the so-called Super Sophomores who led the Buckeyes to an undefeated season and a consensus national championship in 1968. Brockington and the other Super Sophomores finished their college careers with a record of 27-2.

Brockington played at the left halfback position in 1968 and 1969, used primarily as a blocker for fullback Jim Otis. In 1970 Brockington moved to the fullback position and was the featured RB in Woody's offense. Brockington finished his senior season with 1,142 rushing yards, which was at the time an Ohio State single-season record. He also scored 17 rushing touchdowns that season

Bo Schembechler, who had previously been an assistant at Ohio State under Hayes, to revitalize its football program. On November 22, 1969, Hayes led his top-ranked Buckeyes into Michigan Stadium to face Schembechler's Wolverines in the first matchup between two coaches who would come to define the rivalry between the two programs. The Buckeyes brought a 22-game winning streak into Ann Arbor, but behind an inspiring 60-yard punt return by Barry Pierson that set up a Wolverine touchdown in the second quarter, and a defense that intercepted Ohio State six times (three by Pierson), the Wolverines won a defensive battle (both teams were scoreless in the second half) for a 24–12 upset.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 27, 2015, 12:31 PM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Bob Ferguson would be another. 2nd in the Heisman in 1961.

Comment

• UFM will throw out the first pitch at Ohio State Day on May 8th.......at Yankee Stadium.

Good financial move by the Yankees to piggyback a platinum brand. Buckeye leaves on the batting helmets can't be too far off.

Comment

• Platinum Brand? LOL

No 1st round Buckeye draftees projected for the NFL pending draft?

What do the Pros know that seems to allude Bucknut fans?
                    Urban Meyers shameful and caviler attitude about the embarssement must be disheartening?

“I hope one of them sneaks into the first round because first-rounders get treated a little differently,” Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said.

“It might be really important to fans,” he said on Friday. “They always want to be able to tell people that their school had a bunch of first-rounders. In the grand scheme of things, it’s completely unimportant.”

"Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Elude, Prime...elude...

...unfortunately for you, all Ohio State's 1st Round picks will be playing in Columbus this year. Ouch. Next season we can count first round draft picks....4? 5? 6? May be more than JH produced in his entire tenure at Stanford.

But, more importantly, what can I say...the best brand in baseball is honoring the world's premiere sports brand. FLAGSHIP recognizes FLAGSHIP.

Heh. It's fun posting like you!

Comment

• Hope I didn't offend you but if I did, please find it in your heart to forgive me.

These are such troubling times....I think I need a good cry.
                        "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• TRIGGER WARNING: The following post includes pro-Ohio State, anti-Prime material that may offend, injure, aggrieve or otherwise cause emotional trauma to the reader. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Prime:

FLAGSHIP!

UNDISPUTED!

fuck off

hello

Comment

• Is it really that big a deal to throw out the first pitch? I imagine the influence and benefit moves the needle for either franchise about .0000001 percent.

Comment

• Elder Steinbrenner was a Buckeye booster.

Comment

• I'll save Talent the work. He was a GA to Woody Hayes.

Comment

Working...
                                X