No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFB is becoming more like the NFL every day. It will benefit a relatively small number of athletes. A handful will get wealthy very quickly...and well before they would have otherwise...

This is the classic recipe for the Golden Rule. The schools with the most gold...will rule. The separation between the haves and have nots will become much bigger. Add in a 12 team playoff to the portal and NIL...and I think you can see where this is heading...a 64 team Super League...with the rest being relegated to a sub league/FCS. The beauty of CFB being a unique sport is over. It hasn't been real unique in a while...but these things will kill a sport the way most of us know it.

I think most of us agree the NCAA was a joke when it came to being a regulatory agency over the sport...but welcome to the wild wild west now...
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      I think the NILs will eventually settle down once companies realize they're pissing away money on busts.
      It's boosters. Not companies. NIL is the pretense for ginormous slush funds. Again, there's notthing particularly immoral about compensating people for their talents. But, it's not some sort of free market "are you getting your money's worth for your brand" calculation. It's rich boosters asking "are you getting wins".
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• No. 1 recruit in the country flips from Florida State to go play for Neon Deion at Jackson State. haha wow

Comment

• Holy shit!

Comment

• $$$$$$$$$$$$

This is already a total free-for-all.

Comment

• Michigan needs to be on the cutting edge of recruiting in the NIL age. I doubt they'll do much but they have both the cache and the cash. It's a perfect opportunity to hit the reset button after wandering around in irrelevancy for most of this century.

I've always contended that Michigan got caught flat-footed in the early 2000s when the huge TV deals started rolling in and somewhat leveled the playing field among P5 conference members. The 85 scholarship limit from the 1990s was in full effect and now everyone had gads more cash to spend on facilities. The days of self-recruiting and hording talent among blue bloods was significantly diminished. Michigan seemed to be whistling past the graveyard an then one catastrophic head coaching misfire set them back a decade (at least).

It's been a huge climb back to the top of the Big Ten mountain. If they don't adapt to this new landscape, as much as they may be loathe to do, then they will find themselves right back where they were for the last 15 years.

Comment

• Incidentally, Jackson State is playing for the HBCU national title on Saturday. Heavily favored against South Carolina State.

Comment

• Well, to be on the cutting edge is to be outside the scope of NIL. These schools are going to basically build a slush fund and dole it out under cover of NIL.

Comment

• OK, early adopters then. My point is I'm worried they will likely just let things play out rather than taking a proactive approach. They are grade-A fundraisers on the academic and medical side. Time to apply those strategies to revenue sports or watch the recent gains quickly recede.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      OK, early adopters then. My point is I'm worried they will likely just let things play out rather than taking a proactive approach. They are grade-A fundraisers on the academic and medical side. Time to apply those strategies to revenue sports or watch the recent gains quickly recede.
                      I'm certainly not going to disagree with your point. M is currently getting heaps of credit for winning by doing so with integrity. For sure, this is an amorphous concept but if you've been around M football for a while you know what this entails. They're basking in the limelight of touting who says you can't win without cheating?

Optimizing, some say weaponizing, NIL is not likely to become a U of M athletic department's goal. Quite the opposite. Money under the table - the dark side of football recruiting - given to athletes to sign, has been, as far as we know, scrupulously avoided. Ostensibly making this activity happen in the light of day via NIL isn't going to change how M handles this ..... you and I would agree much to its disadvantage.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So how exactly does NIL figure into a five star guy going to Jacksonville State? Aren't there 100 schools in the country with more cash to throw at a kid than them?

Comment

• The coach is Deon Sanders - same position in pros as the recruit is signing for at JSU.
                          I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Either Deion knows how to sell the NIL package better than FSU, or the kid loves Deion.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                So how exactly does NIL figure into a five star guy going to Jacksonville State? Aren't there 100 schools in the country with more cash to throw at a kid than them?
                                How many kids are getting $1.5 mil deals?
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X