No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandusky cost Penn State 27.6 M, damn it would have been much cheaper and best for the kids that Jerry went "fishing" with the Sopranos instead.

The $27.6 million total doesn't include the first of five $12 million annual installments, paid by athletics in December, to begin covering the $60 million fine handed down by the NCAA as part of its landmark sanctions.

?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Rueben Foster -- student of the week - [img]http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Reuben-Foster-Sleep.jpg[/img] [img]http://blacksportso

Reuben foster farks.... Student of the week.
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• That's what the internet is all about. Great work!

Comment

• Yup. Love it!

Comment

• TUSCULOOSA, Ala. -- The University of Alabama has barred three football players from campus after their arrest on robbery charges.

The players are suspended from school pending a judicial review conducted by faculty, staff and members of the Student Judicial Board that is expected to be done by late next week, university spokeswoman Deborah Lane said on Friday.

Defensive back Eddie Williams, 20, and linebackers Tyler Hayes and D.J. Pettway, both 18, have been charged in separate robberies of two students on campus early Monday morning. Williams, Hayes and Pettway are charged with two counts of second-degree robbery. Williams also is charged with fraudulent use of a credit card and was also arrested a day earlier and charged with carrying a pistol without a permit.

Williams confessed to robbing a student who was punched in the head and face and kicked in the ribs and back. Williams said Pettway and Hayes watched him commit another robbery from a nearby vehicle about an hour later, according to court records.

Hayes admitted to participating in the first robbery and watching the second.

H-back Brent Calloway, also suspended indefinitely, is charged with fraudulent use of a credit card for using a debit card stolen from one of the students. He isn't barred from campus.

All four have been released on bond.

Tuscaloosa District Judge Joel Chandler has granted Williams' request to be allowed to return home to Panama City, Fla., while free on bond. Attorney Josh Swords said Williams would be in his mother's custody.

Post Extras:

Comment

• I guess this is the purpose of what over signing is all about.

Comment

• Maybe Saint Nick needs to raise their stipends.

Comment

• I did not know about this. MSU's OC hired by the Saints.

It will be interesting to see who Dantonio tries to poach.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I suggest Al Borges.

Comment

• Heh, yes please.

Comment

• Big problems for the NCAA. I'm glad to see they actually tried to nail a rogue program but they came out the big loser. It's time for that organization to go away. It's utterly useless.

USA TODAY delivers current national and local news, sports, entertainment, finance, technology, and more through award-winning journalism, photos, and videos.

Comment

• Agree. The schools don't want the NCAA to have power

Comment

• The NCAA has no power, even when they have evidence of something it requires cooperation by the guilty party of which there is no incentive to cooperate and no recuperations if you don't.

Comment

• Michigan was so smart to cooperate.

Comment

• ATM to let Johnny football take online classes....

doesn't come to campus except for football practice....

and people wonder why the sec is where they are.

ORT WORTH, Texas -- Johnny Manziel went to the Super Bowl where he hung out with the guys from Duck Dynasty. He was photographed with several other SEC players at Mardi Gras in New Orleans and spent part of NBA's All-Star weekend in Houston with rapper and friend Wale.

Johnny Football still finds time to be a college student too, even though the Texas A&M star doesn't have to be on campus very often for classes. His schedule this semester consists of four online classes in sports management, and he just got done with a series of tests and other work.

"Had my first round of tests last week, so I've been kind of pushing that off as much as possible doing my online stuff, and all three tests and three papers hit me in a week," Manziel said Monday night before accepting the Davey O'Brien Award that goes to the nation's top quarterback. "It was good to feel like a normal student again, just a busy one."

ESPN's GigEmNation

GigEmNation ESPN.com's GigEmNation covers everything Texas A&M, including college football and recruiting. GigEmNation
                                More:
                                ? Recruiting news | Blog

Manziel was initially enrolled in an English class on campus this spring with only 20 to 25 students before switching his schedule.

"I didn't think anything of it, and it kind of turned into a little more of a big deal than I thought," said Manziel, the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy.

While Manziel is having a good time, doing things other 20-year-old college students do -- or would envy doing -- the scrutiny he faces can be frustrating.

"I know plenty of friends who went down to Mardi Gras to New Orleans and other guys who went to the Super Bowl too," he said. "I was down there with other college football guys too, so I don't know, people like to give me a hard time more than others. There's college kids doing what I'm doing all around the country. People just think I'm going wild with it, when it's not like that."

Manziel is definitely under the microscope after leading Texas A&M to a Cotton Bowl victory and becoming the first Southeastern Conference player with more than 5,000 total yards in a season.

For those who wonder if Manziel's adventures fall within NCAA rules, he stays in touch with compliance people at Texas A&M to clear things in advance. Two weeks before the Super Bowl, for example, he let them know who he was going to the game with, where he was staying and how he was paying for everything.

The quarterback and his parents also met recently with A&M athletic director Eric Hyman, football coach Kevin Sumlin and other school officials.

"It wasn't more of like what to do and what not to do, it was just making sure we were on the same terms," he said. "I feel like by now if I was doing something wrong, compliance would have definitely figured something out."

Manziel said he's thick-skinned and not bothered by the negative opinions other people may have of him.

"People are going to say what they want regardless," he said. "Just like I have my opinion on people, certain people in sports that may rub me wrong, or some people, you're just going to be scrutinized by some people regardless of what you do and you can't please everybody."

Spring practice for the Aggies begins March 2, less than two months after Manziel accounted for four touchdowns and had a Cotton Bowl-record 516 total yards in a 41-13 win over Oklahoma, including an FBS bowl record for quarterbacks with his 229 yards rushing on 17 carries. That capped Texas A&M's first 11-win season since 1998.

So how does it get better for Manziel, who said he's never had more fun playing football in his life?

"A national championship. For sure it's not necessarily a Heisman. It's a national championship that everybody on our team was let down that we didn't win this year," he said. "Regardless of what our expectations were, we felt like we had a very good year and did some stuff that is really going to help our program, but it wasn't a 13-0 season like we had wanted at the beginning of the year. So our goal this year is go 13-0 and win every game."

Comment

Working...
                                X