No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe in my heart of hearts this goes on to some degree at all schools.. a couple players are assisted to keep them playing. Not bullying, but assisting..

HOWEVER, what I read above, would be the extreme case and I would bet a good reason why some schools suddenly are winning... recruiting becomes easier if the kid knows he doesn't have to go to school.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• The same handful of schools that seem to rotate the top 5 spots or so on an annual basis.

Comment

• A lot of these kids have no business in college as they don't even desire higher education. Quite a few of them were 'helped' through high school just to get eligible for the lowly NCAA requirements. How are kids such borderline at academics going to make it at an actual top 200 university when they are helped so greatly just to get by in college?

Many of these kids would be much better off playing semi-pro for $30k/year, too bad there isn't such an option out there for them. I'm a big believer in higher education but college isn't for everyone. I always thought the NFL Europe should've taken high school kids that weren't eligible for college when I'm pretty sure they had the same age guideline as the NFL; 3 years after they graduate high school.

Comment

• Problems like those described in the article above crop up when key individuals inside the revenue sports programs lose sight of the core mission of university. The kind of shit going on between players and faculty at FSU is a symptom. It reflects very badly on FSU coaches, academic staff within the athletic department and graduate assistants.

Very few of these high value athletes, kids actually, have ever been held accountable and when you don't do that, don't set standards and rules and then make them accountable, you get behavior like this. It might be a tough job to do by the time the kid is 18 and on his way to play football at a big time university but it's doable. The coaches at FSU failed and, within the SEC, I'd bet stories like this are common place.

There's a fine line between winning in college football and working to get the kids in your charge a college degree. It seems to me that's a tall order these days with all the pressures to win and the money involved. Kudos to the B1G for doing a better job at that mission than the SEC.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
            A lot of these kids have no business in college as they don't even desire higher education. Quite a few of them were 'helped' through high school just to get eligible for the lowly NCAA requirements. How are kids such borderline at academics going to make it at an actual top 200 university when they are helped so greatly just to get by in college?
            The mantra of the dumb college football player has been around as long as there's been college football players.

Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
            Many of these kids would be much better off playing semi-pro for $30k/year, too bad there isn't such an option out there for them. I'm a big believer in higher education but college isn't for everyone. I always thought the NFL Europe should've taken high school kids that weren't eligible for college when I'm pretty sure they had the same age guideline as the NFL; 3 years after they graduate high school.
            This would be the death knell of SEC football.

Comment

• Good for the death of SEC football...

Some of these universities have 'special' classes only available to scholarship athletes, taught by so-called professors who only teach scholarship athletes.

Comment

• This would be the death knell of $EC football.
                Fixed It For You
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• $€?

Last edited by Ghengis Jon; November 23, 2013, 10:20 AM.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Arizona up 28-9 over Oregon at the half and looking good doing it. Damn your Michigan defense, Rich Rod! FUCK.

Comment

• Florida loses to Georgia Southern...ouch

Comment

• And G.S. did not complete a single pass.

Comment

• Oregon just getting embarassed now...unreal that they not only have outgained Arizona but they have over 500 yards but only 16 points!

Comment

• It's disgraceful what UFM did to Florida. I can't believe he lost that game today. I look forward to another scathing article from Bianchi indicting UFM for this embarrassing loss. I can't get over what a terrible job he did (and is doing) at Florida.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• If you like good old-fashioned meltdown, check out Oregon's Scout board right now. Excellent

Comment

• You would think that Oregon had just won a string of national titles under multiple coaches and this new guy Helf is ruining everything overnight!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X