No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW, it's telling that the Texas AD and not the conference commissioner is the one working on a "list of 20 names"

Comment

• Yep. And probably true
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Florida State's been trying to get into the SEC off and on since 1955. This move makes sense for them, and if the A&M move goes through, I think FSU goes next.

I've been told, from sources I trust, that Virginia Tech is talking to the SEC, but that there's considerable opposition to that move from both university administrators and members of the athletic department(I have to imagine Seth Greenberg, VT's basketball coach, would be a "hell no" vote in this debate). The consensus seems to be that VT won't go unless it gets the feeling that the ACC is no longer a viable conference home. Florida State departing for the SEC wouldn't be enough of a dealbreaker for VT to leave. If the SEC is looking to raid two or three teams from the ACC, however, VT would have to reconsider.

I do not want to see VT in the SEC, and I really wish this maniacal expansion drive would stop long enough for schools to see how well the competition works where they are, and if the market can support the kinds of financial aspirations these would-be mega-conferences have. But that seems to be a futile hope at this point.

Comment

• kbohls Top names UT, I mean Big 12, will consider from several sources: Notre Dame, BYU, Air Force in that order.
          18 minutes ago

Wow

Comment

• The Big 10 wouldn't let that happen.
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Have I mentioned how glad I am to be in the BIG?

Comment

• I'm sure Notre Dame wouldn't mind playing in Texas frequently. But are they willing to play Kansas and Iowa State and Oklahoma State and Baylor every year just to achieve that?

I'm guessing no and this is an example of how delusional and arrogant the Texas mindset has gotten.

Comment

• Hokies would 'politely decline' offer to join SEC

Posted on: August 12, 2011 3:09 pmPosted by Jerry Hinnen

As the Texas A&M-to-the-SEC expansion rumors reach critical mass, the inevitable follow-up question becomes: if the Aggies really are No. 13, who's No. 14?

According to Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver, it won't be the Hokies. Speaking to the Louisville Courier-Journal, Weaver said the school would "politely decline" any hypothetical offer to join the SEC. His reasoning:
                  "Virginia Tech has always wanted to be in the Atlantic Coast Conference and I would think that’s where we’re going to stay, because it’s the right thing and the best thing for our university" ...
                  "[W]hen you realize the travel involved and so on, we’re virtually in a ‘bus league’ right now. The SEC would cause other travel issues. Certainly there is (increased) revenue involved (with joining the SEC). But I just feel like, and this is me talking – I haven’t talked to the president or any of that – Virginia Tech would politely decline, because we’re very happy to be in the Atlantic Coast Conference.”
                  Of course, it's very easy to say that now when (as Weaver points out up front) any invite from Mike Slive is entirely hypothetical. With the SEC still not even having reached the point of extending the Aggies an invitation -- per both CBSSports.com's Tony Barnhart as well as other media sources -- it's fair to assume the league's decision on it's next expansion target is still a good ways off. If Slive ever did come calling, would Weaver still be so devoted to the ACC?

Maybe. As Weaver points out, the ACC has its advantages for the Hokies. (If Florida State did wind up the SEC's 14th school, the Hokies might be poised to dominate the league in football the way, well, they've already dominated it.) So we'll take him at his word for now.

But if the SEC's interest in Tech does heat up, we have a feeling Weaver will have to repeat himself -- probably multiple times -- before we rule the Hokies out entirely.

Comment

• Well, the last several weeks have certainly made me aware that Texas has a high percentage of delusional and batshit crazy fans. Thanks to them I now know that:

1) The Big12 is stronger without Colorado, Nebraska, and A&M than they were before.

2) BYU, Air Force, and SMU/Houston are better than the aforementioned three teams

3) Notre Dame is a virtual lock to join the Big12 now or, barring that, is a virtual lock to form a new superconference with Texas and Oklahoma and they will poach the best teams from all the other conferences, with everyone acknowledging Texas as their de facto leader.

Comment

• Former Irish assistant Brown in fair condition after self inflicted gun shot wound
                      Granger, Ind.
                      Corwin Brown has left the scene of a seven hour standoff with St. Joseph County Police injured with a self-inflicted gun shot to the torso and is listed in fair condition.
                      Posted:
                      10:48 PM Aug 12, 2011
                      Reporter:
                      NewsCenter 16 Staff

Former Notre Dame assistant coach Corwin Brown has left the scene of a seven hour standoff with St. Joseph County Police injured with a self-inflicted gun shot to the torso.

Police say the former Irish defensive coordinator and Michigan standout safety is now in fair condition at an area hospital.

Metro Homicide was called to the scene at Brown's home in Granger and crime scene tape has cordoned off the area. Police report they never fired their weapons in the ordeal. A search warrant has been served for Brown's house and an investigation into the standoff has begun.

Brown left the house in an ambulance around 7:45 p.m.

NewsCenter 16 can now confirm that shots were fired by Brown around 1:00 p.m. Police say that Corwin's wife Melissa did receive a contusion on her head from her husband.

Melissa Brown was not transported to a hospital for the injury.

Sources tell NewsCenter 16 that around 1:00 p.m., a scream was heard coming from the home. Police also report that they have never been called to the Browns' house before.

Units were originally responding to a report of domestic violence.

When units arrived on scene, the Browns' three children were outside the home with Melissa still inside. Police tell NewsCenter 16 that Corwin had originally prohibited Melissa from leaving the home.

Once she did leave, Brown remained alone inside for the majority of the standoff. Shortly before 6:00 p.m. Brown came out of his home onto the front porch with a gun, but quickly returned inside.

Negotiators communicated with Brown through text messages and phone calls and only used a bullhorn when Corwin did not return calls or texts.

Sources tell NewsCenter 16 that Bob Chmiel was on-scene during the standoff. Chmiel recruited Brown to Michigan and is a former Notre Dame assistant coach. Chmiel was not the person who was talking to Brown over a bullhorn towards the end of the standoff.

Police said Brown, who was a tri-captain of the Michigan football team in 1992, asked to talk to several friends during the standoff. Shortly before it ended, someone could be heard saying through the bullhorn: "Be a Michigan man today. Step up to your obligation."

Several seconds later the person said: "Please don't let me down. Please!"

Moments later a fire truck and ambulance rushed to the front of the house. The ambulance left moments later.

Police would not identify the person who had been talking to Brown.

AEP was contacted by Police and shut down power to the house. St. Joseph County Police was working with Mishawaka Police in addition to other agencies in the surrounding area for support.

Metro Homicide will conduct the investigation.

Brown served as Notre Dame's Defensive Coordinator under Charlie Weis from 2007 to 2009. When Weis was fired, Brown became defensive backs coach for the New England Patriots in 2010, but is not coaching this season.

Neighbors tell NewsCenter 16 there was tension within the family due to the fact that Brown did not have a job this season.

Brown was a standout safety for the Michigan Wolverines in the late 80s and early 90s.

"The Michigan family is hurting for Corwin Brown and his family," said Wolverines Athletic Director Dave Brandon on Twitter. "They are in our thoughts and prayers."

Brown went on to play for the Patriots, Jets and Lions in the NFL. He is known as a dynamic and energetic coach, who was a well liked by his players.
                      Last edited by JRB; August 12, 2011, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• I hope Brown gets the help he needs.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• With the SEC going to 16 teams... will the B1G and Pac follow?

Comment

• I don't think it's a question of "will they" but "when will they." When the dominos start to fall I don't think any conference is gonna wanna get caught with their shorts down. Let the power broking begin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mackenzie View Post
                              I don't think it's a question of "will they" but "when will they." When the dominos start to fall I don't think any conference is gonna wanna get caught with their shorts down. Let the power broking begin.
                              Who would the leading candidates be?

Would we look east to Pitt, Syracuse, UConn and Rutgers... or possibly Boston College?

Would we look west to Oklahoma (and OSU) and Kansas (and KSU)?

Comment

• Probably a stupid question, but is anyone overseeing all these superconferences that are supposed being formed?

Comment

Working...
                                X