No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might not be so bad. With everyone getting paid you might see athletes actually choose schools the way that we idealize them doing it -- based on relationships with coaches and comfort at the university. Stars will be more likely to stay in school more then three years and best of all, a modicum of competitive parity might return on the national scale. College football right now is in a situation where half the country has a stupidly self-imposed salary cap while the other half doesn't. That needs to be blown up as soon as fucking possible.
    Last edited by Hannibal; June 3, 2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• We'll have a nice period in a new system before loopholes are discovered and exploited. How long will it take?

Comment

• 2 minutes
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          We'll have a nice period in a new system before loopholes are discovered and exploited. How long will it take?
          I don't see any new ones being created.

Comment

• Somebody will find a competitive advantage off the field. Guaranteed.

Comment

• It won't be as bad it is today, with Michigan losing 5* recruits to shitty programs like Ole Miss because of payola.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                We'll have a nice period in a new system before loopholes are discovered and exploited. How long will it take?
                No time at all...they'll be built in.

The Big Ten and SEC are at the fore of their respective competing viewpoints regarding collegiate athletics, and those viewpoints are non-compatible. There's simply no getting around it without either a split or some sort, or the Big Ten accepting its role as Gerry Cooney to the SEC's Holmes. Any collegiate New Deal is going to created along the lines of how the SEC wants it, to their advantage.

Comment

• If that happens, I think that you are going to start seeing fan revolts in the Big Ten. I sure as fuck don't accept that, and I don't think that most Big Ten fans will either. There is a lot of pent up demand, especially at places like Nebraska, Penn State, and Michigan, to see elite football again, and I think that people are understimating that demand. The administrations at some places might not be aligned with these fans, but that's where the fan revolt part comes in. And if the fan revolts don't do it, watching the SEC rake in the bigger TV bucks will.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; June 3, 2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Pac 12 and B10 align quite closely, that is 26 schools out of 65 in the P5...

It'll be interesting to see where the Big XII and ACC sit and which side they take (B10/Pac 12 or SEC) on the many issues/rules regarding the implementation of a Division 4.

Comment

• Stop watching Espn... That's a start
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I'm done with the website. Hurts my eyes. Must be the lowest content:ads ratio on the net.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                          If that happens, I think that you are going to start seeing fan revolts in the Big Ten. I sure as fuck don't accept that, and I don't think that most Big Ten fans will either. There is a lot of pent up demand, especially at places like Nebraska, Penn State, and Michigan, to see elite football again, and I think that people are understimating that demand. The administrations at some places might not be aligned with these fans, but that's where the fan revolt part comes in. And if the fan revolts don't do it, watching the SEC rake in the bigger TV bucks will.
                          IDK...many fans would agree with you, but there are a lot- and you can see them here on this board- who do not wish to see their alma maters go the route of the SEC. The ?amateur? tag that hangs on Big Ten football (such as it has been defined for 20-30 years) means a great deal to some people. Its what separates college football from the NFL, at least nominally.

That said, we are all damned tired of running uphill against the cocky pricks from down south.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                            Pac 12 and B10 align quite closely, that is 26 schools out of 65 in the P5...

It'll be interesting to see where the Big XII and ACC sit and which side they take (B10/Pac 12 or SEC) on the many issues/rules regarding the implementation of a Division 4.
                            Agree, and both of those leagues present very interesting internal dynamics which would prevent any homogenous response. What is good for Texas and Florida State is to align more along lines with the SEC, which is not good for Kansas and Boston College.

Comment

• agree hoss... the big12 "south" would rather follow the SEC (I'd argue Baylor already does). In fact, I'd bet the Big12 follows the SEC and the schools in the north just follow along for fear of being left out.

The ACC is more complex. Duke and NC will most likely follow a more big10 path.. while VT and FSU would welcome the SEC (I'm guessing).

Comment

ESPN.com
                                By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com

Six months after Alabama agreed to a long-term deal to keep Nick Saban as head coach, details of his contact were voted and agreed upon by the school's compensation committee Tuesday.

The four-time championship-winning coach will make an NCAA-best $6.5 million in base salary per year through Jan. 21, 2022. The new contract adds two years and roughly $1 million annually in salary from the previous raise he received in April 2013.

More from ESPN.com
                                No contract, no matter how enormous, will keep Nick Saban's potential suitors at bay, Alex Scarborough writes. Story

Saban also will be awarded a $400,000 completion bonus per year, bringing the total contract to $55.2 million.

"We are honored by the commitment the University of Alabama has made to us with this new contract," Saban said in a statement. "It is certainly a mutual agreement in terms of our commitment to the University of Alabama. We will continue to work hard to keep our football program among the nation's elite."

In addition to having the highest-paid head coach in college football, Alabama also boasts one of the highest-paid coordinators in the game. Kirby Smart, Saban's longtime defensive coordinator, will earn more than $1.3 million through Feb. 28, 2017, after the compensation committee voted to extend his contract by one year.

Lane Kiffin, who was hired as Alabama's offensive coordinator in January, was approved for a three-year contract that will pay him $680,000 the first two years and then $714,000 the year after that.

New defensive line coach Bo Davis was signed through February 2016 at $450,00 per year, and inside linebackers coach Kevin Steele was also signed through February 2016 at a salary of $700,000 per year.

[+] EnlargeNick Saban, Jabriel Washington, Dillon Lee
                                AP Photo/Butch Dill
                                If Nick Saban completes the full term of his new deal, the total contract will be worth $55.2 million.
                                The UA compensation committee also approved contract changes for the rest of the Crimson Tide's assistant coaches:

• Offensive line coach Mario Cristobal was extended one year through February 2016, with an increase in salary from $475,000 to $500,000.

• Outside linebackers coach Lance Thompson was extended one year through February 2016, with an increase in salary from $400,000 to $428,000.

• Tight end/special teams coach Bobby Williams was extended one year through February 2016, with an increase in salary from $400,000 to $428,000.

• Running backs coach Burton Burns was extended one year through Feb. 2016, with an increase in salary from $315,000 to $335,000.

• Wide receivers coach Billy Napier was extended one year through February 2016, with no increase in salary.

• Strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran was extended through February 2016, with an increase in salary from $355,000 to $395,000

"My passion has always been to develop young men to their full potential as student-athletes," Saban said. "We've had great success in that area at Alabama and I'm appreciative of all the support and the resources we receive from the administration in order to make that happen. ... The past eight years have been productive in so many ways and we are grateful to call Alabama our home."

Comment

Working...
                                X