Clear All

• Tuesday's CFB Playoff Rankings:

1) Alabama
    2) OSU
    3) Clemson
    4) Washington
    5) Michigan
    6) Wisconsin

OSU will drop down to 4 come selection time because Clemson and Washington will both play in CHampionship games. M will hang at 5.

Most likely Final Four:

1) Alabama vs. 4) osu in Atlanta*
    2) Clemson vs. 3) Washington in Glendale*

*Alternatively:

1) Alabama vs. 4) Washington in Atlanta, GA
    2) Clemson vs. 3) osu in Glendale, AZ

Wisconsin could claim a spot if they beat PSU handily in Indy if either Clemson or Washington lose their conference title games. No way M sneaks in even though they are probably among the top 4 teams right now. For that to happen, Wisky has to win a stinker in Indy by a score of something like 6-3 and Alabama, Washington and Clemson all have to lose their Conference Title games (not happening).

NY6 Bowls (Tie-Ins):

Rose - Wisky (B10) vs. CU (P12)
    Orange - M (B10) vs. FSU (ACC)
    Sugar - Auburn (SEC) vs. OU (B12)
    Cotton: PSU (at large). WMU (at large).

Yeah, I know conference championships and all that. PSU is not better than osu or M and if the play-off committee is doing their jobs, they'll put the best teams in the CFP, which includes osu, and leave Wisky, PSU and M for selection to the NY6 Bowls.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I think that's right, thought I actually think Ohio State will stay in the top 3.

Here's the thing with Penn State -- they tied w/ OSU for the East. They both finished 8-1. They win on a tiebreaker. But you should only count H-t-H once. As for Wisconsin, not only did OSU win in Madison, they also had a better conference record than Wisconsin (8-1 v 7-2).

It's clear to everyone that the B10 CG is between its 3rd and 4th best teams.

Now, I think it gets interesting if Washington or Clemson loses. Then a 2nd B10 team is in. I honestly think it should be M at that point. Further, if it's Colorado that wins, then I absolutely think it should be M. If Colorado wins, then the final spot is between Colorado, M and the Wisky/PSU winner. Fucking seriously. That's not a question.

I'd love to see M out, and I think that's the most likely scenario. But, IMO, there's no way Penn State or Colorado should go ahead of them, and probably not Wisconsin (that game was, at least, 7 points in AA).
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

No way M sneaks in even though they are probably among the top 4 teams right now.

Yeah, I know conference championships and all that. PSU is not better than osu or M and if the play-off committee is doing their jobs, they'll put the best teams in the CFP, which includes osu, and leave Wisky, PSU and M for selection to the NY6 Bowls.
        Wait a minute, if they are "doing their jobs" and M is a top 4 team, M gets in. Otherwise, M is not a top 4 team. Expand the playoff system already, holy bejeebus.
        Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wellington_beefhouser View Post
          ...... Expand the playoff system already, holy bejeebus.
          I'm talking about NOW. Sure, every CFB fan wants an expanded, 8 team play off. The logistics of that are tough.

Again, you are right, if M beats Iowa and osu, we aren't having this discussion but that's not what happened. CFB play-off selection isn't ever going to be black and white under the current set-up so, what we're talking about here are the subtleties involved in deciding who the best teams are in the current set-up. It's a discussion worth having .......

..... speaking of which, talent is right pointing out how it gets interesting after next weekend and the conclusion of the P5 CCGs (well, those not involving the B12). Like him, under the right set of circumstances, as improbable as those are, M could still be picked for the FF.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I don't want an expanded playoff. I didn't want any playoff, tbh. You go to 6 (with play-in games) or 8, and the next cry will be 16, and so on. And the P5 CCGs were intended to be a de facto play-in game or at least a strong consideration. At 16 playoff teams (or whatever), it's just too much unless you knock the regular season down to 10 games and drop the CCG because playoff winning teams are already playing 15 games.
            Last edited by AlabamAlum; November 27, 2016, 09:57 AM.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I agree with AlabamAlum. And Ohio State is very much on the bubble, IMO.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The only metric that Ohio State is lacking in is a CCG. There can be no doubt that they are a top four team. None. Without their inclusion, this playoff is lacking.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                  I don't want an expanded playoff. I didn't want any playoff, tbh. You go to 6 (with play-in games) or 8, and the next cry will be 16, and so on. And the P5 CCGs were intended to be a de facto play-in game or at least a strong consideration. At 16 playoff teams (or whatever), it's just too much unless you knock the regular season down to 10 games and drop the CCG because playoff winning teams are already playing 15 games.
                  This gets to the meat of the problem of an expanded play-off, the logistics of it.

I can't say I NEVER wanted a playoff but I can say, it was never a terribly interesting discussion because of the reality of LOGISTICS. College Presidents won't let it happen in the context of the NCAA.....

...... if it were to happen, the P5 would mount an effort to break away from the NCAA and do their own thing. I'm not sure that would be at all good for CFB or even possible given the view of revenue sports from top school administrators from the presidents on down.

So, we've advanced to this shitty spot in determining who is the best CFB team in the land. Is it better than the AP and Coaches Polls of the past, split championships and all that BS? For me, I don't think it is much better at all.

Comment

• 1. Bama
                    2. OSU
                    3. Clemson
                    4. Washington vs Colorado winner
                    5. Wisconsin vs Penn State winner
                    6. Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State winner
                    7. Michigan
                    8. Florida State
                    9. USC
                    10. Western Michigan

Unlikely but Clemson losing opens up an extra spot in top 4... Washington losing only opens the spot to who beat them, Colorado who will jump a ton today and would jump up again after a win over Washington... Wisconsin & Penn State winner imo looks potentially left out in favor of Ohio State...

Winners of CG will leapfrog Michigan, undeservingly in most cases... Everyone above except loser of Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State will go to NY6 bowl.

Comment

• Really, I'd love to see the shitstorm if the committee has the balls to put 2 teams in the CFP ahead of Michigan that Michigan beat down...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

So, we've advanced to this shitty spot in determining who is the best CFB team in the land. Is it better than the AP and Coaches Polls of the past, split championships and all that BS? For me, I don't think it is much better at all.
                        What it does is give a two-team margin of error. With the BCS, the best two teams were crowned and played for the trophy. This gives you the best two, and two extra in case of an over or under evaluation of the top two is made, so I guess it's better.

When it's expanded to 8 (and I think it will be when this contract expires), it'll be the top two with six extra teams to get a shot and it won't be long before there is a logjam of teams at the 6-through-12 spots and people will want 12 or 16 teams.

Comment

• Expanding to 8 will be done when the current contract expires if the logistics (3 rounds = 3 weekends) can be worked out and all the many stakeholders (bowl sites, conferences, tv, etc.) who currently are profiting will continue to profit. Can't see expanding beyond 8.

Comment

• It shouldn't expand beyond 8. There's no need.

Comment

• Which would get us to a couple of teams having 16-game seasons in college football. Which sounds crazy since I am old enough to remember 10-game seasons and a bowl game.

I am against it. Keep it at 4. Some people argued with me when I said we would have playoff creep.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                Which would get us to a couple of teams having 16-game seasons in college football. Which sounds crazy since I am old enough to remember 10-game seasons and a bowl game.

I am against it. Keep it at 4. Some people argued with me when I said we would have playoff creep.
                                I think most were hoping for playoff creep. I know that I was. I have always wanted 6. Power 5 conference champs and one at large not from a Power 5. (with byes for 1 and 2)
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X