No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the ``I was scared'' defense works better if you're talking about the IRS...

Comment

• He probably does know a good accountant, but he'd lie about it to protect his players....
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Looks as if the usc sanctions and JH leaving stanford are effecting the pac 10.

Equipped with their flashy new logo, the Pac-12 isn’t stopping there.
        As a potential NFL lockout looms, the conference that is in need of some added exposure is tossing around the idea of moving some of their games to Sunday this fall. That is, of course, if the standstill between the owners and the players continues.

Comment

• I wonder if Jimmy has even a small amount of regret about taking the SF job?

Probably not, but if the lockout turns south and there are no players to coach and no games to be played, he just might. After seeing all the good will thrown at Hoke these days in AA, he might just be thinking, "that coulda been me!".

Comment

• Can't worry about what you can't control Sean.

Comment

• This HBO show that I referenced in another thread looks like it's going to expose some very, very rotten to the core stuff about money, boosters and getting paid to play.

There are some excerpts from the show on sportsbybrooks about several Auburn players, and the money exchange is just ridiculous. And that was many years ago.

Things could get very ugly in college football very soon, what with the Fiesta Bowl nonsense, osu's lies and this pay for play stuff.

Comment

• Good. Let CF reset to get rid of this crap
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanB View Post
                  This HBO show that I referenced in another thread looks like it's going to expose some very, very rotten to the core stuff about money, boosters and getting paid to play.

There are some excerpts from the show on sportsbybrooks about several Auburn players, and the money exchange is just ridiculous. And that was many years ago.

Things could get very ugly in college football very soon, what with the Fiesta Bowl nonsense, osu's lies and this pay for play stuff.
                  For those of you who aren't up on what Sean is referring to re: the Fiesta Bowl, here's a link that might explain it :

Comment

• I took special notice of the last paragraphs of the above link,

"This is not a good day for the BCS. The Sugar and Orange Bowls have also recently come under withering criticism for the excessive compensation of executives and extravagant expenditures. Sugar Bowl executive director Paul Hoolahan's 2009 income of $645,386 was just 40K or so shy of Junker's. Last June, according to a complaint filed by a committee called Playoff PAC, the Orange Bowl treated its executives and college athletic directors to "Summer Splash," a four-day Royal Caribbean cruise featuring several stops in the Bahamas ... but no business meetings. (Spokespeople for each of the bowls deny any impropriety.)

"To its credit, the Fiesta Bowl has already adopted what it calls "sweeping reforms" to "improve oversight and transparency." SI.com will detail those and other aspects in a story on Wednesday."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1I3CWCSSy

and

As most college football fans know---especially those who , like me, favor junking the BCS in favor of a championship playoff---one of the biggest reasons CFB clings to its' Bowl system is that those who are in charge of the Bowls have fought for years to keep a tight grip with their greedy ---and now allegedly filthy---hands.
                    Last edited by Rob F; March 29, 2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• To be honest, I don't hold lobbying against the BCS, since it's not their fault that politicians decided to insert themselves in this ordeal in the first place. I'd much rather have the sleazebags who run the BCS determine college football's champoinship system than the sleazebags who run the country's government. Entities under attack from demagogic assholes like Orrin Hatch have to defend themselves. This is a principle that extends well outside of college football.

Comment

• HBO to reveal Play for Pay Scheme at Auburn, Ohio St and Michigan St....

Mar 29, 2011 - As the NCAA's Cam Newton investigation lurches onward silently in some alternate dimension, HBO Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel is set to drop a one-hour special on pay-for-play in college football that features four ex-Auburn Tigers players. Sports By Brooks claims to have a transcript of the program, in which Chaz Ramsey, Troy Reddick, Stanley McClover, and Raven Gray accuse Auburn and other schools including Ohio State, LSU, and Michigan State of handing out money (and sex) left and right.

The program is scheduled to air on March 30 at 10 pm ET. A few choice cuts:

McClover says there were money handshakes from boosters at other football camps too. At Auburn for a couple hundred dollars and at Michigan State. All the schools denied any wrongdoing. And things really started heating up a few months later when he went to Ohio State for an official visit where schools get a chance for one weekend to host prospective athletes.

McClover: "They send girls my way. I partied. When I got there I met up with a couple guys from the team. We went to a party and they asked me to pick any girl I wanted."

Kremer to McClover: "I think in one game you had four sacks, what did you earn in that game?"

McClover: "Four thousand. Against Alabama."

It goes on and on, and you really should read SbB's transcript and be sure to clear your Wednesday night schedule. Will anything come of this? College football fans know this stuff happens everywhere, but something this big could be the kind of thing that actually gets the casual public involved enough to cause some government body to lumber to life and attempt to "fix the system," whatever that means.

It's already been a busy offseason for Auburn. While celebrating their 2011 national title, they've also had to deal with a four-man robbery and a recruiting investigation distinct from the Newton case.

Comment

• As much as I don't like MSU, I tend to disbelieve that part of the accusation. Even MSU couldn't be that stupid. To offer recruits money after what they had been through with Denny Stoltz? I don't believe it.

Comment

• really, the NCAA only has themselves to blame. They actually encourage you to cheat.

Comment

• Well, the NCAA is a joke anyway, but I digress.

If they aren't going to enforce the rules, then forget the rules. Just let the teams do whatever they want, to get kids to come to school at their institutions. Drop the gloves, and let them have at it.

Comment

• Prosecutors seek prison sentence in KU tix scam
                                WICHITA, Kan. (AP) -- The government is asking a federal judge to put two former athletics department employees at the University of Kansas in prison for their roles in a $2 million ticket scalping scheme. The defense is seeking probation.

More...

Comment

Working...
                                X