Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And, lets wrap up this discussion today.

I'm not insisting on the last word, but this conversation is heading toward a political discussion, and we don't do that in the Michigan forum.

One day amnesty, then lets move on.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• The comments above offering additional reasons for the decline of Detroit I completely agree with. Liney, I'll quit this topic now.

Comment

• Yup, I'll shut up too. Yesterday's WSJ had an article that confirmed what Froot was saying about the artistic community from Brooklyn and NYC moving to Detroit because it offers such cheap rents. And hodgkal, I too have had a good time in Detroit recently and I realize that there are safe places. I also happened to be in Ford Hospital (near the Fisher Bldg which was by the GM headquarters as I recall) during the riots of the 60's.
        I watched Detroit burn.

Please understand that there are literally hundreds of special laws in MI that apply only to "cities of more than one million population". West state money was happily taken to subsidize Detroit. Over on this side of the state, it is basically non-union. Detroit is all union, both the public and private sectors. It is not happenstance that MI became a right to work state when Detroit's population dropped under one million. And it is not happenstance that Detroit's fall has been so drastic. These special laws subsidized the criminality of Detroit's government.

I say again, In GR (a city that was the "furniture capital of the world" until they lost all that to NC) the rebirth has been mostly private money. MSU just announced they were going to locate their College of Medicine in GR because of the medical infrastructure that exists there, privately funded. Hey, God bless Dan Gilbert, Mr. Illich, and Mr. Davidson. But much of the money that Detroit wasted was taken at gunpoint from outstate folks.

I'll shut up.
        Last edited by Da Geezer; July 12, 2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Doc, Geezer, .. no offense intended toward you. I just want to steer us away from politics. I wish we could proceed because I enjoy reading your opinions.

But, we've tried that before, and it always ends bad. I hope everyone understands.

Comment

• The notion some of you have about Detroiters doesn't hold up to the facts. What Geezer thinks is confined to the east side of the state is easily observable on the west side of it. And in most other states as well, frankly. You guys speak as if you've never actually taken a look around to see what it's like elsewhere.

It's too late now, but I wouldn't mind a much more rigorous approach to the no-politics rule. And I guess that means Detroit is out of bounds, since some of you can't hear the word without tearing off on some nutter tangent that just makes you look sheltered and stupid. Geezer and Hannibal pretty regularly dump some hugely offensive bullshit here, and linesman sometimes does the same. I'd like to talk sports with you guys. I would much rather you keep your political thoughts to yourself.

Comment

• Point taken.

Comment

• It's too late now, but I wouldn't mind a much more rigorous approach to the no-politics rule. And I guess that means Detroit is out of bounds, since some of you can't hear the word without tearing off on some nutter tangent that just makes you look sheltered and stupid. Geezer and Hannibal pretty regularly dump some hugely offensive bullshit here, and linesman sometimes does the same. I'd like to talk sports with you guys. I would much rather you keep your political thoughts to yourself.
                And .. this is why.

Comment

• Speaking to Detroit, (not how it got the way it is or who's to blame) last month, I went to the Packard Plant with a photography class that I assist in. It's crazy to see the insides of those buildings. Sad but very cool. There was a lot of sand on the 2nd floor of one of the buildings and plant life on the 3rd or 4th floor of another building. I took some pictures for myself but I'm more into taking portraits these days, so I was a little bummed that I wasn't doing that kind of photography there.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                    And .. this is why.
                    Not my fault you cant enforce your own rules consistently and fairly. Let somebody else take the reigns here already.

Comment

• I'm spending a couple days in late July in downtown Detroit. I'm excited. I haven't really hung around there since I've moved away and I can't wait to see what's new.

Comment

• Let somebody else take the reigns here already.
                        Any volunteers?

How about you, Hack?

If you want the job just say the word.

In fact, I'll have Deborah make you a "super" mod, (her term, not mine), and I'll leave the forum permanently.

Then, you can move the forum in whatever direction you wish to go.

Let me know right away.
                        Last edited by lineygoblue; July 12, 2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• I don't see why the choice is you moderating the forum the way you do or you leaving the forum. No need for that extreme stuff. Like I said, I like you guys and would love to continue talking football with you, with a side of basketball and maybe a little Lions or Pistons or whatever. My preference would be for a vote. If you choose to no longer moderate I think the lot of us should vote on who we think should step in. We're a group and not a flock. No one person should run the show. We have other moderators currently, and I'd bet the forum would approve of them in the role.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                            Any volunteers?

How about you, Hack?

If you want the job just say the word.

In fact, I'll have Deborah make you a "super" mod, (her term, not mine), and I'll leave the forum permanently.

Then, you can move the forum in whatever direction you wish to go.

Let me know right away.
                            Liney if you go, I go and we will take as many of these sons of bitches with us as we can.

"Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Hack, the participants here have always had the ability to vote on any issue they like. If anyone wants to vote on this issue, I say go for it.

So what's the question? Do the participants want me to remain as the lead moderator, or do they want me to step aside?

If the vote is for me to step aside, then I will leave the forum completely, because I think that's the only fair thing to do. That way, everyone remaining can get with the moderators and decide how they want the forum run from then on.

I've been considering leaving for some time now, and it's no big deal if I go. I think it may be time.

Comment

• I'm Jewish so guilt trips work on me. Carry on as you will then. No vote on my account or blood on my hands. These semi-annual "my way completely or I off myself" episodes aren't my favorite tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X