Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hack View Post
    I know very little about this but it's fair to give a nod to the major producers for their consistency. That must indeed be a costly trick, and many brewers worldwide lack the attention to detail required.
    Yes it is fair to give them a "nod" of some sort or another for their "consistency"---the ability to consistantly market successfully such a bland, tasteless product such as bud light and have it consistantly lack taste, batch-after-batch, can-after-can, keg-after-keg, etc., etc. Myself, I'd rather drink something that I can consistantly taste.

Enough of this for now, as I have a lawn in need of mowing, after which I intend to reward myself with a Founders Red's Rye P.A.

Grapefruit notes from the Amarillo dry hop balances four Belgian caramel malts. Crimson with a tan head. Rye malt lends a spicy, crisp finish.

Now THERE'S something I can taste and enjoy!

Comment

• Not that I'm gonna drink the stuff. I'm just saying that it is one reason to praise them. There probably is not two.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
        "Really, really, really hot chick exception applies"

Heh! When doesn't it?
        When you're at an osu tailgate. Because there aren't any.

Comment

• so hoss and I were talking about great individual performances and great moments in Nebraska's history and in CF. I've been thinking about it off and on since then and thought why not make it a board topic... I'll wait on performances, and instead talk about incredible moments for your team and then for the BIG. List the top 5 for each. what have you seen that you'd say was a great moment...? And for clarity, moments are plays, events, etc., not games.

Mine for UNL:

5) Kenny Walker's introduction on Senior Day. Kenny Walker was a deaf DL for Nebraska. During Senior day, players run across the field to applause and great their parents (typical for most schools). Well, when Kenny was announced, the crowd stopped clapping. Instead they raised their hands and shakes them, which sign language for hooray. Kenny started running onto the field and then realized what the 82,000 fans were doing... He stopped, did a 360, and stood there. As he teared up, he waved to the crowd and walked to his parents looking into the stands. It was one of those moments I'll never forget.

4. Crouch's TD catch vs OU in 2001. We were in a bar in Canton Michigan watching the game. ABC was playing the MSU/Minn game (I think it was minn or some other crap team), so we had to go to a sports bar to watch UNL/OU. The bar was full of Nebraska fans, a few OU fans and a handful of other fans who wanted to watch the game. Not only was that play the game changer and probably won Crouch the Heisman, but that bar erupted. Everyone was jumping up and down.. yelling.. it felt like a bar in Lincoln. Great play in a great atmosphere.

3. Johnny Rodgers punt return in the game of the century. Ok... so I'm not old enough to have seen it, but as a Nebraska fan, you have that run memorized as well as the "man, woman and child.. that put them in the aisles". Big game.. Big play.. created a legend.

2. Tommie Frazier's run vs Florida. The fun and gun not only was destroyed that day, but TF proved the Heisman went to the wrong guy. The run where the entire Florida defense is shed, was the highlight of a great career and represented Nebraska's dominance on that day.

1. Corey Schlesingers first TD vs Miami in the 1995 Orange bowl (1994 season). If you want to define nebraska football, a FB trap is a good start. Nebraska is a state that prides itself on handwork, overcoming the odds and tradition. That run was the signal that UNL was going to win.. that 25 yrs of waiting was over.. that run meant more to the state of Nebraska than any other play in our history. It beat everything that was bad in CF (in our eyes.. which was miami). It was simple.. no glamour.. no glitz.. but it was marvelous. It was proof that our pride and what we believed in still worked.

my BIG Ten moments.. in less details.. and I'll admit, until recently, i haven't followed the BIG as much as others. And I'll keep it to positive moments for the big... meaning no Appy State. But here we go:

5. MSU's fake fg vs ND
          4. Iowa's long pass vs LSU on the final play of the Capital One bowl game giving them the win
          3. Woodson's punt return vs OSU, giving him the Heisman
          2. Krenzel to Jenkins vs Purdue in 2002, giving OSU the win that allowed them to play for the NC
          1. MSU hail mary pass vs Wisc this past year.
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• For Nebraska, my top 5 memories (taking a bit of liberty with the rules you made at the end of the above post):

5) Eric Crouch following up his Heisman with a Hall Of Fame NFL, er, I mean, um, ahh...oh, never mind!

4) Lawrence Phillips being sent away for life, making life on the streets and homes of this country a bit safer

3) Nebraska's defense forgetting to leave the locker room for the 3rd quarter vs. Michigan in the '86 Fiesta Bowl

2) Nebraska 's defense forgetting to show up for most of the game vs. Michigan in 2011.

1) Coming up with one of the most inventive plays in all of CFB history to stay (sort of) undefeated in '97, kicking for a TD

:-)
            Last edited by Rob F; April 26, 2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Nice...

Comment

• My top OSU moments -- limited to games I actually attended. "Holy Buckeye" against Purdue is my all-time favorite moment. Smith to Gonzalez in Ann Arbor in 2005 would make the list, too.

5. Eddie George against Illinois in 1995 -- 60+ TD run. It was the definition of redemption. I was there in 1992 when he fumbled twice inside the 5 (one was returned for a TD and the other to set up a FG) leading to an 18-16 loss.

4. Troy Smith to TG2 TD at the end of the first half against Texas in 2006. #1 vs. #2, but even more, it was personal to me. The loss to The Vince the year before is in my top 3 all-time worse losses. To get revenge in Austin and to be there was really sweet.

3. Germaine to Boston to win the 1997 Rose Bowl. Unbelievably, Ohio State actually came up clutch under Cooper. I was nearly in tears 5 minutes before that when Plummer scrambled for the go-ahead TD.

2. Will Allen interception to end game against Michigan in 2002. That was the single-most intense football game I ever watched. The whole thing hung in the balance for the full 60 minutes. The release when it was finally over was incredible. A day I'll never forget.

1. Clarett TD against Miami to make it 14-7 in 2003 Fiesta Bowl. 3 straight forced TOs lead to 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes. It was completely out of control. That place was electric -- a total home game.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• great list

Comment

• My top Michigan moments:

5) Remember the Alamo. LMAO. Bill Callahan > Lllllllllloyd

4) Michigan needing extra time run off clock to beat a mediocre Cryin' Ryan Leaf

3) Appy State. Heh.

2) Michigan's whiny ass fans after learning they had to split title with a more deserving team...instead of counting their blessings of not having to get their ASSES kicked had they played. Unreal.

1) Kordell Stewart!!!! LMFGDAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• This thread was better when it was talking about alcohol.

Comment

• Just give Wiz a Budweiser and he'll be fine ....
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Budweiser might be too upscale

Comment

• Yeah, he's probably more of a Fallstaff guy ....
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Seeing that 4 of the first 48 draft picks in this year's NFL Draft played for the Illini last season, Illinois must have had one helluva team. Did I miss something---I don't remember them going up against 'Bama in the MNC game last season?

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                                Yeah, he's probably more of a Fallstaff guy ....
                                Don't knock good ol' FallFlat Beer---they had the best bottle caps in the beer business. Remember the picture puzzles under each cap?--- you got to test your alcohol-diminished brain cells against those of your friends to see who could solve the "Concentration" Game Show style picture. The more you and your buddies drank, the more challenging the clues...

Comment

Working...
                                X