Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Agree for the large part. But they are looking at tv sets
    Agree that is the thinking, but I don?t know how valid it is. What the BTN gets paid for those TV sets stems directly from how many of them research indicates will be tuned into the BTN...as Jamie suggests, I don?t think it would be that many.

Setting aside Notre Dame as the obvious brass ring, I think a good case could be made for Missouri and Pitt. I know, we already have Penn State...but the Nielsen?s indicate that there is a good-sized market for Pitt football as well. They get good ratings, which are currently going elsewhere. Missouri is a good-sized state, and has established rivalries with Nebraska and Illinois.

Geographically and culturally, these programs make sense. As there are really no realistic potential additions left (Outside of the Irish) who would add significant value, those criteria would seem high on the list for any future expansion IMO. Maybe instead of Pitt you go with Kansas, for the basketball, IDK. Ties to Missou and Nebraska.

Personally, I don?t see any future expansion without Notre Dame as being plausible; as I said above, there?s really nobody left who adds anything of great value unless you get radical and look at Texas or Oklahoma, or somebody like that. If Notre Dame finally caves then you add one more for symmetry, otherwise just stand pat IMO.

Comment

• I'm a supporter of Pitt because I think it'd be a good regional rival for OSU and Penn State. They'd be my preferred addition to balance putting ND in the west.

Comment

I'm a supporter of Pitt because I think it'd be a good regional rival for OSU and Penn State. They'd be my preferred addition to balance putting ND in the west.
        Agree...I think that sometimes the desire for TV sets receives too much import. We could add Florida State and USC, reaping wild television revenue, but what does it do for the fans? How many Ohio State fans could make a trip to Tallahassee? A shitload less than could attend a game at Pitt, that?s for damned sure.

Travel isn?t going to get cheaper in the coming decades, so IMO there is something to be said for adding programs in or near your existing footprint.

Comment

• I agree.

Also, people forget that those TV sets are already being paid for in some other conference's contract. So in order for expansion to be worthwhile, those same TV sets have to produce more revenue in conference A than in conference B. I have argued that the economic benefit for expansion has been badly oversold for a long time now. It's the same basic principle as a corporate merger. If you don't have synergy or eliminate efficiency, the merger doesn't make money. But mergers are often oversold by people who either:

A. Make money on the merger itself (investment bankers)
          B. Stand to gain from owning a bigger empire (i.e. the corporate officers)

In this case, B is Jim Delaney, the BTN, and everyone else who benefits from a bigger pie, regardless of how many ways it is split.

Comment

• There will be a few problems if we add Notre Dame schedule-wise because you've got three schools that are used to playing them every year and geographically they are all in the "east". But I'm thinking maybe:

Nebraska
            Iowa
            Wisconsin
            Minnesota
            Northwestern
            Purdue
            Notre Dame

Michigan
            MSU
            Ohio State
            Penn State
            Pitt
            Illinois
            Indiana

Comment

• I like that setup

It establishes conference games that are huge rivalries, and sets up a hum-dinger of a CCG.

And Michigan and ohio only have to play once. There's no need for gerry-mandering to try and make them meet twice. That's stupid.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

There will be a few problems if we add Notre Dame schedule-wise because you've got three schools that are used to playing them every year and geographically they are all in the "east". But I'm thinking maybe:

Nebraska
                Iowa
                Wisconsin
                Minnesota
                Northwestern
                Purdue
                Notre Dame

Michigan
                MSU
                Ohio State
                Penn State
                Pitt
                Illinois
                Indiana
                I like that set up as well. I think it would make for some great games

One question I have is does Basketball count. I know this past round it was football football football... but does a school like KU that has national basketball following add value? Do you balance the football schedule by emphasizing another popular sport? KU does make money.

I'm also not sure on Missouri. Bigger state and they should be a much bigger draw, but they don't have the impressive TV ratings and their fans are fickel. Pitt has better ratings AND I believe could consistantly fill their stadium in the right conference.
                Last edited by entropy; June 2, 2011, 10:48 AM.
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I'd rather have Pitt than Missouri. I'd rather have Maryland too only I don't know if they'd realistically say yes while I'm 90% sure Pitt would. I don't think PSU will be happy if all future teams are added from the western frontier rather than the east.

Kansas might be okay except I don't think you can get them without having KSU shoved down your throat too. But I have zero interest in KU football. I'd get more excited about having Cincinnati join at that point.

Comment

• I'd rather have KU than Missouri... Missouri would not fit in the BigTen. Pitt would be fine by me.

Comment

• Other than basketball what does KU bring to the table?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamie H View Post
                        Other than basketball what does KU bring to the table?

...cute co-eds..?

but really nothing else. Baseball is decent. Fans do show up and travel well

Comment

• I just don't see the Big Ten adding someone like Kansas at this point.

Comment

• Jamie.. I don't either honestly. I just tossed it out there as more of a question around the importance of Basketball to the BigTen. MU would bring more to the table.

That said, and I am biased, KU>>>>MU.

Comment

• Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says it hurts the Big Ten to have its two marquee programs -- Michigan and Ohio State -- sullied by controversy the past two years.

More...

Comment

• "You don't want somebody to get their legs knocked out from under them and look to that to give you an opportunity. It shouldn't have to be that way," Alvarez said. "We won the league championship without all those things happening, I don't want that to happen to our league. I don't want to sit there and lick my chops and say, 'Wow, that opens the door for us.' I don't think that's right."

BS .....that's exactly what he wants.

F*** Alvarez ...... he is two bit shill, who, behind closed doors, is plotting the rise of the Badgers at the expense of Michigan and osu.

He is a master at figuring out how to advance his program on the back of the misfortunes of other B10 programs .... especially M's and osu's.

Did he neg recruit M when Carr' medical issues became public or when Rodriguez was dangling in limbo? You bet. He'll do the same with osu.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X