No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no doubt that every program bends the rules...just like damn near every driver speeds...but to say EVERY program cheats to the degree they would be shut down if there were a whistleblower is pure poppycock.
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Jim Carrey as Penn State....the cop as the NCAA...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65s01jmf5NI&feature=player_embedded"]Liar Liar Pulled over - YouTube[/ame]
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• but to say EVERY program cheats to the degree they would be shut down if there were a whistleblower is pure poppycock
        watch that harsh language sir .... .
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
          According to ESPN, the NCAA had an administrative budget of $30.6 million in 2010-11. We clearly are not getting our money's worth from that group.

For that kind of scratch they should easily be able to afford a a small investigative staff assigned to each FBS conference, full-time. Hire quality financial investigators paid at what the market rate is for commensurate individuals for auditing goverment and corporations, subject to thorough annual personal audits themselves. (Especially those in SEC territory) Keep them together and working in each conference region so they can learn the "lay of the land" and have authority to drop in on any school, any time, and see any records they wish. Every year their work is reviewed by by the office of a group assigned to another office, and none are assigned to conferences in which their alma mater is affiliated.

Pipe dream, but that is a rough sketch of what I'd do if it were up to me.
          I agree, right down to the comment at the end of being likely only a "pipe dream", as it all makes so much sense as being simple yet effective. Watch Dog, enforcer, deterrent, and then some, all rolled into one.

The only things I would add to your idea would be as follows: give some REAL penalties out to violators, penalties that would shake rogue schools to the core by shutting off their supply of talent. As has been pointed out, USC looks to be weathering their penalties much better than anyone expected, because kids still want to go there, not only kids from SoCal, but from all over the country.

But take away bowls for twice as long and take away TV broadcast of games for a meaningful length of time, and kids will think a lot longer about signing those LOI's to the USC's and Auburns and Miamis and the SECs of CFB. Tell kids they can come to USC and have a great opportunity to get a world-class education, and some kids will get it and still go. But tell kids that we won't be on the tube (mom and pop and family and friends won't get to see you play unless they travel to follow the team), and add to that that they will never (or at least have to wait a few years to do so) experience a major Bowl Trip or two or three, and how many of those 4-and 5-* kids will still be interested? I'd say very few, maybe even none. Choke off effectively the pipelines of talent, and the "bad actor" schools will have little choice but to stop the blatant crap they knowingly allow to go on.

Case in point: Penn State's new coach, O'Brien. Did you all read what he lobbied for to his own bosses, once it became more and more apparent that PSU was gonna get hammered hard for that sleazy, festering Sandusky mess? He wanted to make sure, above all, that Penn State games would still be televised. He knows how important it is to keep at least that much to offer to prospective recruits during the duration of the punishment. I'd bet my last dollar that, if he hadn't won on that point, he'd already would have resigned.

Comment

• I think you hit the nail on the head, Rob. Punishments need to include more banning from television. That's where the real money is. Bowl appearances bring in money, but the money from bowl games is not in the live gate. The money from bowl games comes from television rights.

Combine that with regular season television revenues, and that's where you can put the hurt on a program.

Comment

• I heard what'shisname the PSU coach using the fact his kids will still be on TV as a selling point
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I'd like to see programs banned from signing kids from certain high schools if there is improper recruiting involved. Ban SC from signing kids from Bishop Amat for four years for example...that will leave an impression. Nobody wants to see their carefully-crafted "pipelines" from the best high schools disrupted, and open the door for somebody else to build their own.

Comment

• but to say EVERY program cheats to the degree they would be shut down if there were a whistleblower is pure poppycock.
                  I agree. Who on earth said that?

And "everybody cheats" is the sad song of the cheater.
                  At least you acknowledged your loser paradigm. I, for course, am more than happy to recognize degrees/shades of gray. But you're in fucking fantasy land if you think any major program doesn't break NCAA rules, i.e, CHEAT. Fuck your sacred program is or was on probation after a half-assed investigation by a shitass local newspaper. Degree? Sure. I think I made that fucking expressly clear in my Arizona/LSU example.
                  Last edited by iam416; July 27, 2012, 07:54 PM.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I feel the fear ...

Comment

• Talent: "More importantly, every major program, and I mean every one, has players or boosters who could easily say enough to sink the program."

Talent: "I agree. Who the fuck said that?

Ummm...you did.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Fuck the SEC
                        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Ummm...you did.
                          LOL. I missed the hilarity of the Wizard. Well, not really.

"Sink the program" = "shut the program down"? Jesus. Read a little.

"Sink the program"=NCAA sanctions on schollies and/or bowl ban.

Yeah, I agree, not every program has people who get it the fucking death penalty. Jesus.

Comment

• Usually sinking is an irretrievable act, unless you are talking about a submarine.

I'm not involved in the rest of the banter. I'm just making a comment on word use here.
                            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                              Usually sinking is an irretrievable act, unless you are talking about a submarine.

I'm not involved in the rest of the banter. I'm just making a comment on word use here.
                              as in: "Talent sinks to new depths with his posts quite often on this forum."

Comment

• Rob, you wound me. Deeply.

Can we be friends?

XOXOXXXXOX

Comment

Working...
                                X