No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need to know the relative strength of a conference to know the strength of two programs when ranking them. The perception that the SEC is FAR stronger helps them recruit better, helps them in the polls and thus, helps them on the field.

Comment

• Well yeah, that's the background you tell yourself to convince yourself than a tedious, boring argument is worthwhile. No other sport bothers themselves with such nonsense. Nobody chants AFC West at games
      Last edited by froot loops; January 2, 2016, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• That's what you get when college post season is based off rankings.
        There is also the factor that a lot of people have a connection through school, like me. So of course I like to be competitive by saying "Purdue > LSU" (at basketball) or any argument that makes the B10 better.

Professional sports, the only thing that matters is wins/losses to a greater extent. Objectively, no subjective thought in it.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• The AFC West and AFC South are part of the same entity. The SEC and Big10 aren't. Collegiate sports are structured differently than any pro sport. The comparable example would be Wisconsin fans chanting "Big10 West!" when playing Michigan, which obviously never happens.

Which is not to say the arguments aren't tedious

Comment

• I find any argument with Strangelove and his fellow Brown alumni tedious. About the only thing they're qualified to weigh in on is whether Friends or Seinfeld was a better 90s sitcom. And even then, after taking multiple classes on 1990s sitcoms, they'll choose Friends.

Speaking of conference pride, I think OSU just scored again against Cornell "hockey"!
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Sometimes you have an inexplicable game. OSU has all the hockey tradition of Alabama-Huntsville and is in the midst of a horrible season.

Let's compare this to the Nebraska-MSU game, just say "what the fuck?", and move on.

Comment

• It's comparable to the UNL-Sparty game if UNL beat Sparty 56-3. But, yes, I understand. I would have been remiss, however, if I didn't direct some sass your way for that showing. In fact, I'm sure that you, knowing full well it deserved sass, would have thought less of me if I failed in that regard. And I want you to continue to hold me in the highest possible esteem. Much as Alabam"Alum" does.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• If you find conference discussions tedious don't force me to upbraid you with some ECAC smack, brotha!

Also: Seinfeld. No contest. Fuck that Ross & Rachel shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    Well yeah, that's the background you tell yourself to convince yourself than a tedious, boring argument is worthwhile. No other sport bothers themselves with such nonsense. Nobody chants AFC West at games
                    I have always found the "SEC! SEC! SEC!" thing to be very odd. The notion of chanting "Big 12!" for instance would be a completely alien concept to me. By and large, I hoped for most of our conference members to lose. (BIG fans are more agreeable however)

Its a southern inferiority complex thing IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                      The SEC doesn't travel. In fact, every bowl game is like an away game for us. True story: only 7 Bama fans went to Dallas. Swear to god.

And one day the SEC will have tie-ins to bowls where we can face B1G teams. We just don't travel well enough for that, though. One day, maybe..
                      SEC doesn't have to travel because two thirds of the fricking bowl games are in SEC country. And yes, I'm counting Texas as SEC country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                        I have always found the "SEC! SEC! SEC!" thing to be very odd. The notion of chanting "Big 12!" for instance would be a completely alien concept to me. By and large, I hoped for most of our conference members to lose. (BIG fans are more agreeable however)

Its a southern inferiority complex thing IMO.
                        That, and College football is all they have.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I don't like the chants, either. And they're certainly not done by a majority (a vocal minority, at the very most), but it has nothing to do with inferiority. Many know that the SEC is hated. And this is a thumb in the eye.

And make ZERO mistake, chant or no, there are just as many B1G homers. You see them here, and accross social media, at games, and at local watering holes. People who loudly root for and support their conference brethren and take pride in their wins.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The SEC thing is just a regionally accepted version of frontrunning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• AA.. We all have bias in who we pull for or against when our teams are not involved. But the SEC is unlike any other conference. They are the outlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tslisher View Post
                                SEC doesn't have to travel because two thirds of the fricking bowl games are in SEC country. And yes, I'm counting Texas as SEC country.
                                Tuscaloosa is NOT close to Dallas. Is it closer to Dallas than EL is to Dallas? Okay. Does that mean a whole lot? Nope.

But yeah, there are a ton of bowls in the south and out west. Does that make it a bit easier for some alums and fans of SEC teams? Sure. Just like it made it easier on some Pac-12 fans than it does for the B1G fans going to the Rose Bowls all these years. Does that mean the Rose Bowl should be rotated between Pasadena and Des Moines? Probably not, but It really doesnt matter to me.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X