No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• okay that makes sense. I would think that if you have a player(s) that just committed a violation and then you let the same player(s) get paid for fraudulent jobs, that's not a good monitoring job.

Can Athletic Directors get hit with Show Cause penalties ... the assclown Smith clearly about as deserving as one can get .... given how overpaid this guy is, it would actually save Ohio a bundle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
      Nonsense DSL , RR failed to win, plain and simple. If he kept the transition period respectable, he would have earned the support of those that mattered.
      Exactly. I think the Michigan fan base would have tolerated several 8-5 type seasons during the transition. However 8-5 was year THREE of the Rodriguez plan. 3-8 and 5-7 burned off any good will Rodriguez was going to get.

Sorry, you don't come into a place like Michigan and blow the program up just to do things "your way". Note how this year's coaching staff is adapting to what they have rather than ramming the square peg into the round hole. Having Steven Threet running the read-option was possibly the stupidest coaching decision I've ever seen a div 1-a coach make.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
        Still nothing solid but the thinking is that at least FtM is being considered as part of a second NOA.
        And we're not even close to being done yet. Posey wasn't even one of the players mentioned in the initial story about Dennis Talbot treating players to free rounds of golf. It has now been officially confirmed with Posey. I personally find this to be hilarious, since the entire Buckeye nation is on the record claiming that all of these allegations were 100% false. They were complete fabrications and everyone in the entire Buckeye nation -- past and present -- is perfectly 100% innocent except for the Tat Five incident. The Tat Five was one tiny isolated incident and Jim Tressel is a saint who never broke a single NCAA rule except for on that one occasion. Remember when Tatgate first broke, and lots of us predicted that a lot more stuff would come to light in the future? Buckeye fans like DSL laughed and then claimed vindication when the Ohio BMV determined that sales taxes were paid on the Buckeye vehicles that were "bought". It took less than a year and we already have numerous other confirmed violations, in addition to numerous other highly credible accusations. LMFAO. So much for that "vindication".

Lots more to go. There were rumors that the anonymous source for the SI article was going to testify after all, but I never heard confirmation of this. The official findings about whether Pryor and Gibson got illegal benefits from Talbot haven't been issued yet, but I'll bet just about anything that they will be confirmed in less than a year. Pryor is rumored to be the source that squealed about everything that has gotten OSU in the past few months. Best of all, we have the Tressel e-mails that OSU is desperately trying to keep out of the public light, in direct violation of the Freedom of Information Act. Buckeye fans like Talent have been saying that the only thing Tressel was guilty of was "not forwarding some e-mails". It's funny that even in a simplistic sense, this is false. Tressel did forward the Cicero e-mails. He forwarded them to Ted Sarniak -- Pryor's sugar daddy, and now OSU refuses to cough up those e-mails for some reason. The Buckeye nation better pray to God that ESPN doesn't win its lawsuit to make those e-mails public.

Oh, and we also haven't mentioned the recent interview with Troy Smith where he essentially confirms that there was rampant rule breaking by claiming to have been the fall guy for a lot of other people. Just like Maurice Clarett. Just like Ray Small. In the eyes of the Buckeye nation, Troy Smith probably just became a crazy degenerate, lying attention whore like those two guys.

People keep expressing amazement and wondering why all of these dumbass Buckeyes keep committing violations. There's a very simple answer. It's because that's what they've been doing for ten fucking years. DERRP. It's in the DNA at OSU now. It's like the old parable about the scorpion crossing the stream on the back of a frog. The scorpion stings the frog and they both drown. The frog asks "why did you do that?" The scorpion says "because it's in my nature".

What comes next? Will ESPN hit OSU with more FOIA requests? They should. Who knows how many other shady characters Tressel exchanged e-mails with. This DeGeronimo guy has been setting up guys with jobs for years, supposedly. The IRS could get involved someday -- I'll bet that Pryor doesn't report his OSU "earnings" on his income tax return. And then there are the numerous criminal probes into characters connected to the OSU nation (like Eddie Rife). Remember -- the criminal probe into Ed Martin is what ultimately caused the worst consequences for our basketball program.
        Last edited by Hannibal; October 9, 2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• This artilce is about troy smith and maurice clarett who play for the omaha nighthawks of the ufl. They talk about their experiences at o-lie-o and where they feel college football is heading. Both feel that saint jim was wronged and that people higher up are to blame for o-lie-o's predicament.

Published Wednesday October 5, 2011

Shatel: OSU's glory days? On Omaha roster

By Tom Shatel
          WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

? Sports

Related News

Advertisement

They'll be in Las Vegas on Saturday night. They'll be playing for the Omaha Nighthawks, for money, and there's all sorts of symbolism there.
          Troy Smith and Maurice Clarett won't be in Lincoln. Their Ohio State Buckeyes will be, but not the Bucks who the former heroes would recognize, not the Ohio State football team that anyone would know.
          It's a clash of former dynasties. Nebraska had its turn in the 1990s. Then it was Ohio State. From 2000 to 2010, OSU was 114-24 overall and 71-17 in the Big Ten. The Buckeyes won seven Big Ten championships, played in eight BCS bowls, won one national championship in three appearances in the title game.
          Less than a year after its last Sugar Bowl appearance, the mighty machine looks broken. Coach Jim Tressel resigned. Terrell Pryor, the star quarterback, left. There was a scandal involving players who sold or traded team memorabilia for tattoos. Some of those players then took money from a booster at a charity event — while under suspension. They won't play Saturday.
          Meanwhile, the NCAA is investigating the program. Some fear the hammer will land hard, Athletic Director Gene Smith is under fire for taking it all too lightly, and rumors swirl about Urban Meyer taking over when the dust settles.
          Nebraskans won't be seeing the Ohio State glory days on Saturday. They're getting the broken Buckeyes. How did it fall so fast?
          The OSU glory days reside in Omaha now. Smith won the Heisman Trophy and played for a national title. Clarett was the star who led OSU to a national title. The gap between those days and what Ohio State looks like now seems imminently farther than the 50 miles between Memorial Stadium and the Kroc Center in South Omaha.
          But talk to Smith and Clarett about Ohio State, and you get a view into how Camelot fell.
          Start with Smith, and ask the quarterback if he has any emotions about what's happened to his old school.
          "I've been suspended by the university and by the NCAA, so I'm kind of cold and coarse when it comes to showing feelings for anybody else," Smith said. "Because I've been the scapegoat. I've been put on the pedestal, with no control over that, and then been the guy you're not supposed to learn from."
          In December 2004, it was reported that Smith was suspended for the Alamo Bowl and the first game of the 2005 season for accepting cash and the promise of a job from an OSU booster. But Smith said that wasn't the case.
          "To tell you the truth, it had nothing to do with a $500 thing between myself and a booster," Smith said. "I took the rap for a lot of people so a lot of people wouldn't get in trouble. But that story can't be told unless I want to get back at a lot of people. I'm not that type of guy. Never will."
          Clarett's story is well documented. He looked well on the road to Heisman glory as a freshman running back in 2002. His career was derailed with one incident after another, starting with his suspension for the 2003 season after being accused of accepting thousands of dollars and benefits from a booster, and he eventually ended up in prison.
          These days, Clarett is staging a comeback, in Omaha, and beating the drum for compensating college football players. That's where he starts when you ask Clarett, an anti-hero in some Buckeye circles, about his former school.
          "It's just a sign of the times," Clarett said. "If you look anywhere long enough, you'll find a violation. It's a sign of the times that something needs to change.
          "I don't think guys should be in that position. The guys who drive the money to the university shouldn't be in that position in the first place. Nobody talks about how they rip off their jersey sales and their likeness, guys at the end of the year auction off their jerseys and raise money for the university.
          "I've said this: The UFL would actually be bigger if they scouted and signed high school players. And you get paid a real salary, then you go to Bellevue or UNO, a respected school in the city. Then the NCAA has to compete."
          Money. Boosters. Player entitlement. These are not issues that come up at Nebraska. Or many other schools. But when OSU players already suspended are caught taking more money, what does that say? When Smith, the athletic director, says it's the fault of the individuals, and not the school, what does that say?
          Are we naive? Is Ohio State the norm? Or is it the tip of an iceberg that could sink the structure of college sports as we know it?
          "It's growing,'' Clarett said. "Because of the Internet. On the Internet, you can talk to anybody or find out anything. And guys (athletes) talk and they all know what they're worth and what's going on. They have some value if they have some ability. They think there's nothing wrong with getting compensated for your ability."
          Troy Smith said Ohio State should take responsibility, though he added that there wasn't a lot the school could do.
          "The school shouldn't be so popular," Smith said. "The school shouldn't want to win as bad as it does. It comes along with the territory. Then you as a university, apply a different set of rules for these guys, because it's not going to stop. It's college football everywhere. You're going to tell a diehard Alabama fan that he can't be an Alabama fan all the way through? There's a difference between college and NFL fans. College fans are that way until they die.
          "To me, you would literally be taking away from your time in your job to police as many people as you have to police. There's hundreds of (boosters) at all times. Even if (athletes) got paid, they would still go after it. It's a catch 22. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. As much as people want to paint the picture that it's goody two shoes, it's not. My school is underneath the microscope right now. The best way to get them out is to tell the truth."
          Both Smith and Clarett felt that Tressel, the man who recruited them and the architect of the dynasty, had been done wrong. They both still talk to their coach. Clarett spoke to Tressel on Monday night and said he intends to coach again, probably on the pro level.
          "I don't believe he was trying to cover anything up," Clarett said. "This man goes into people's homes and understands where (recruits) come from, understand they don't have mothers and fathers. He's responsible for what happens to your sons. That transcends the NCAA, transcends the university. Gene Smith should have gone to him and they should have figured something out. But to act like he was trying to do something bad, that's wrong. He actually cared about the people. I believe Gene Smith knows the truth. And I can pretty much leave it at that."
          Troy Smith said: "There's no doubt he was wronged. I don't know how many college coaches would jump on the sword for somebody else's kids, like he did. Obviously, it wasn't just a recruiting tool when I came to Ohio State because he did it for hundreds of other kids. The only thing I feel emotions about is Coach Tressel. Without Jim Tressel, I wouldn't have had a chance to play quarterback in the Big Ten. As far as the other stuff, I don't get emotional about it. Ohio State will be here for a long time after I'm gone, know what I mean?
          "I want to tell the truth about what I think of my school, but the last time I spoke my mind, I got ripped for it."
          That said, Smith is excited about the matchup between his old school and the new place where he's hanging out until he gets another call from the NFL.
          "This place is very similar to Ohio State," Smith said. "I was driving around the other day and got lost and found a Cornhusker Lane or something. So I know it means something. We love football as much as you do. I don't think there's a lot different because everything here is so rich in tradition."
          Speaking of rich, the Nebraska-Ohio State rivalry has already begun in Omaha. Clarett said he has a $1,000 bet with Nighthawks quarterback Eric Crouch, the 2001 Heisman winner from NU, on the game. Straight up.
          "I'm not going to need any points,'' Clarett said.
          Last edited by geo weidl; October 9, 2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by geo weidl View Post
            Speaking of rich, the Nebraska-Ohio State rivalry has already begun in Omaha. Clarett said he has a $1,000 bet with Nighthawks quarterback Eric Crouch, the 2001 Heisman winner from NU, on the game. Straight up.
            "I'm not going to need any points,'' Clarett said.
            Whoops. Should have taken the points Maurice.

Comment

• Great. Now he's gonna have to go rob somebody.

Comment

• C'mon Mike, everyone robs, everyone kills.

Comment

• True dats. I forgots.

Comment

• Blah blah blah. Tell me again, Hannibal, how it's been proven that players were getting free cars. You guys ran with that one for quite a while. Hell, you still claim it's true even without any evidence and the BMV officially telling you you're full of crap.

Proud to see bnoth Clarett and Smith standing up for Tressel. While Tressel may be viewed as a horrible human being round these parts (which has more to do with beating Michigan routinely than most are willing to admit), the people who know him best know he is a good man. That includes Saint Carr and Saint Hoke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      Blah blah blah. Tell me again, Hannibal, how it's been proven that players were getting free cars. You guys ran with that one for quite a while. Hell, you still claim it's true even without any evidence and the BMV officially telling you you're full of crap.
                      LMAO. Um, no. The BMV did nothing of the sort.

Comment

• Hannibal: OSU PLAYERS GET FREE CARS OMG!!!

BMV: We find no irregularities with any of these purchases.

Hannibal: Uh..well I...CONSPIRACY TO GIVE OSU PLAYERS FREE CARS OMG!!!

Comment

• Proud to see bnoth Clarett and Smith standing up for Tressel.

Yea, your right about saint jim's players standing up for him, then there is always that "but" at the end of each story.

Comment

• All three were either accused, charged, suspended, resigned in disgrace and imprisoned, WTF is left?

"I'll take Nefarious Buckeyes for 800 Alex"

Tressel's FlagShip Crew.
                            Last edited by Optimus Prime; October 10, 2011, 08:28 AM.
                            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              BMV: We find no irregularities with any of these purchases.
                              You know, it really is hilarious that you are crowing about the Ohio BMV findings when they did nothing but find that no laws were broken. NCAA violations aren't illegal. If Thaddeus Gibson was handed a briefcase with $20,000 cash at the dealer's office, it wouldn't be inconsistent with any of the BMV findings or anything that Ray Small said. The BMV didn't even try to prove that money changed hands for the sales.

Do you mind telling me where it has been demonstrated that players bought all their cars with their own money that was legitimately earned or borrowed? I'm getting reminded now of why I stopped participating in this discussion. It's like trying to convince the citizens of Oceania that Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. What a waste of my time.

Just pray that those Tressel e-mails to Sarniak (and e-mails to other "friends of the program", if there are any) don't become public, my friend.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; October 10, 2011, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                You know, it really is hilarious that you are crowing about the Ohio BMV findings when they did nothing but find that no laws were broken. NCAA violations aren't illegal. If Thaddeus Gibson was handed a briefcase with $20,000 cash at the dealer's office, it wouldn't be inconsistent with any of the BMV findings or anything that Ray Small said. The BMV didn't even try to prove that money changed hands for the sales.

Do you mind telling me where it has been demonstrated that players bought all their cars with their own money that was legitimately earned or borrowed? I'm getting reminded now of why I stopped participating in this discussion. It's like trying to convince the citizens of Oceania that Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. What a waste of my time.

Pray that those Tressel e-mails don't become public, my friend.
                                You whine that this is a waste of time for you then demand that I prove that violations were not commited. Which is always the case. Myself or Talent or whomever are asked to prove that something DIDN'T happen. Which means you are starting from the position that of course these players got free cars and it's up to OSU and the players to prove their innocense.

This is the Michigan Man system of justice. Thank God we don't live in a country ruled by Michigan Men.

Comment

Working...
                                X