No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it puts the kibosh on the 9 game schedule.

But, given that the only decent teams ND plays are in the PAC-12 and the B1G (Stanford, USC, Michigan, State and Purdue) this should scare the crap out of them. I'd look for ND to join a league in the next 2 years.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Smart play if it's true. The value of the TV rights increases significantly with this agreement. I have long felt that probably the only way to get most teams to play a decent OOC schedule in the future is to have conference agreements like this. Nobody wants to lose home game revenue and when you schedule a tough opponent, you only get 1/12th of the TV benefit.

Comment

• But, given that the only decent teams ND plays are in the PAC-12 and the B1G (Stanford, USC, Michigan, State and Purdue) this should scare the crap out of them. I'd look for ND to join a league in the next 2 years.
        Yeah, it's a real bear of a move for ND. Good. F them.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Three things b/c of this agreement .....

ND will be forced to join a conference.

There will be a play-in for the MNC game in 2 years maybe sooner.

The play-in concept will expand to more teams as agreements between stake holders on how this is going to work are worked out.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• "According to Thamel - B1G is now no longer going to 9 game schedule in 2017. The PAC 12 game will essentially be the 9th conference game."

Comment

• Also of note:

"The football possibilities of the agreement are tantalizing in an era in which early-season nonconference schedules often feature traditional powers playing inferior opponents. The Pac-12-Big Ten games will be created to match up programs of similar strength, meaning that marquee games like Ohio State versus Southern California, Wisconsin versus Stanford and Michigan versus Oregon could soon be seen early in the season."

And....

"The collaboration could lead to the leagues creating bowl partnerships and postseason games that would be shown on their networks. Delany pointed out that ESPN and the NFL Network both run bowl games.
              While Delany and Scott said the idea of starting a bowl game shown on their networks had not been formally discussed, both said they were open to the idea.
              'I think it’s a conversation that anyone would see, and could see us having, and it wouldn’t be from out of left field,' Delany said."

Teams from the Pac-12 and Big Ten will soon begin to play one another extensively, essentially creating benefits of conference expansion without having to expand.
              Last edited by iam416; December 28, 2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• A b1g championship game followed by a b1g/PAC12 championship game is a great start to a playoff, if you are into that type of thing.

Comment

• If that's what's happening, will they have it at the Rose Bowl every year or alternate?

Comment

• I think these will be early season games, not a play-in, but I think we're going to have a plus-1 4 team playoff before 2017.
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Looks like Mich might actually be playing Rich Rod in the near future - assuming he lasts long enough

Comment

• I really like this agreement, if for nothing more than to do what nobody is talking about, and that is preserve the Rose Bowl as a B1G/Pac 12 staple. It also keeps the Rose Bowl in the two conferences back pocket, should any crap be done with the BCS. The two conferences will now be in a position to say, "stick your BCS .. we're keeping the Rose Bowl, and we'll play each other and have our own MNC", .. or words to that effect.

Overall, a great thing, IMO.

And Notre Dame is now on the clock to get into a conference, because they are about to lose anywhere from 3-5 of the big draws on their schedule. (Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Southern Cal and Stanford)
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                          And Notre Dame is now on the clock to get into a conference, because they are about to lose anywhere from 3-5 of the big draws on their schedule. (Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Southern Cal and Stanford)
                          Since we're no longer going to the 9-game conference schedule, I think we'll probably keep ND.

Comment

• 8 Conf games, 1 PAC12 game, Notre Dame and 2 home patsies is a pretty good schedule.

Non-Conference non-PAC12 regular seasons games will be few and far between for any of the B1G teams
                            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• I don't know Hanni. I think Brandon will try to schedule three patsies for the extra home game revenue.

Comment

• UM AD Brandon re: ND rivalry:
                                " We are committed for the next three years. What the long-term future of that rivalry is remains to be seen."
                                Sounds like it will be gonzo
                                Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                                X