Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope he terrorizes opposing backfields.

Comment

• #250 in the 24/7 composite. Sounds solid.

Comment

• This popped up at mgoboard and I found it interesting if not entirely predictable:

Josh Helmholdt (Rivals) has reported that Amauri will not sign his LOI. Amauri is from Overland Park, KS and is a 3 star athlete per Rivals. He was recently told by the staff that they are parting ways. Michigan intends to pursue DE and DT grad transfers instead. Michigan feels like that is in the best interest of the program. The DL could use some depth in 2019 and I am sure most of you will agree with the staff's decision.

First off, this is roster management - a new reality with the advent of the early signing period and HS recruits offered who don't sign.

The grad transfer DE/DT M is in pursuit of is the Rice DT, Zach Abercrumbia. I would not doubt this means there is positive news about him forthcoming ...... and yes, M needs help with the DT position in Brown's scheme.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• That makes sense for Michigan. Does anyone know why Amauri did not sign his LOI back in December? He just lost a big opportunity.
          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Quinten Johnson passes the eye test. Looks underrated. He looks like a thumper and was around a ton of turnovers.
            Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• Looks like a dude, plays like a dude but not rated like a dude. Lots of others from M's class got final evaluation bumps so no complaints overall.

Class doesn't have many top 200 type players but alot of guys in the 200-400 range, bit similar to Hokes first class that developed a ton of starters but could've used a few difference makers.

Comment

• Quick read and review of the 2019 class ..... #8 Nationally, #1 BT. NSD is not what it used to be. M had one signee yesterday, Quenton Johnson.

I think the early signing period helped programs and took away some of the games that HS recruits play.

Amauri Pesek-Hickson ended up at Les Miles coached Kansas. This was a weird situation and as it has been portrayed in the press with him and his dad as sources, it's not good optics for Harbabugh. I don't know the numbers well enough to say if this was a roster management situation or not. Apparently he had the grades to sign with M but was told face to face by Harbaugh to go to prep school and opt for the 2020 class. He declined to do that - at least that's how the story goes.

I know there are several guys in the transfer portal that M is reportedly in on. Again, don't know the numbers well enough to see if M can take any of them.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                  Quick read and review of the 2019 class ..... #8 Nationally, #1 BT. NSD is not what it used to be. M had one signee yesterday, Quenton Johnson.

I think the early signing period helped programs and took away some of the games that HS recruits play.

Amauri Pesek-Hickson ended up at Les Miles coached Kansas. This was a weird situation and as it has been portrayed in the press with him and his dad as sources, it's not good optics for Harbabugh. I don't know the numbers well enough to say if this was a roster management situation or not. Apparently he had the grades to sign with M but was told face to face by Harbaugh to go to prep school and opt for the 2020 class. He declined to do that - at least that's how the story goes.

I know there are several guys in the transfer portal that M is reportedly in on. Again, don't know the numbers well enough to see if M can take any of them.

http://michiganjournal.org/2019/02/0...ruiting-class/
                  any defensive linemen?

Comment

• I thought you were dead

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

any defensive linemen?
                      Did you read the link? No? ...... I know you're a busy man so:

Chris Hinton 5* DE Top 50
                      Mazi Smith 4* DT Top 150
                      Trent Jones 4* OT/DT Top 150
                      David Ojabo 4* DE
                      Mike Morris 4* DE
                      Gabe Newburg Unranked DE

Quite a nice DL haul. My guess is that Chris Hinton will get playing time burning his RS in the process. The rest maybe to no.

Overall, from my sports site reads, this is a very good class and fills some crucial holes on defense with S, Daxton Hill and both DE, Chris Hinton and DT Mazi Smith. On offense with the apparent absence of Chris Evans (he still may return for the fall if his grades improve), 4* RB Zach Charbonnet , an early enrollee is going to get carries this fall. It will be interesting to see who emerges as the starter. It should be Christian Turner if Evans is held up coming back.

Harbaugh may have his best performing OL since he became HC. The addition of Warriner, experience and good depth bodes well for that unit. I don't think 2019 additions Rumler and Trent Jones will contribute. OT depth still a bit thin but serviceable. Inside is fine. RBs ok, not great and now thin at that position but, we may see a more pass-centric offense. Fingers crossed.

The biggest relief going into the 2019 season for me though (and seriously, both my son Sean and I were ready to give it all up after the osu loss) is signs that the offense will take advantage of the enormous skill set they have in the receiver unit to build an offense that is way more pass-centric than JH has been in his entire coaching career. The addition of Josh Gattis to the offensive coaching staff and the departure of Pep Hamilton, moving Josh McDaniels to coach QBs and Gattis likely as the receivers coach, is a very positive turn of events. After sulking for a couple of months, this news gets me interested again.

While interviews of Harbaugh and Gattis indicate Gattis will be calling the plays, we still don't know the in-game process for that task. That has to be overhauled completely if M is going to be able to go up-tempo on offense as the situation might demand. We won't know if that has happened until we actually see it, and I will be pissed if M opens the OOC schedule and just runs the ball at lesser opponents because they can win that way. M's offense and the coaches have to practice an up-tempo pass-centric offense live with all the components and distractions associated with live games.

If Gattis succeeds in changing Harbaugh's approach to M's offense since he's been HC, I'll actually be surprised. If the play book just expands with some RPOs thrown in but Harbaguh's run-centric approach to the game remains, I'll be disappointed. I don't see M football improving to the point where they can beat elite teams and win championships without substantial change in teh way M plays offense in 2019. We've been waiting a long time for that. This season is probably it for me if we don't see the kind of changes on offense that winning college football games requires.
                      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; February 7, 2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• On the Pesek-Hickson thing. Per Brain at mgo:

So Signing Day is in December nowis less so:

This tells me while observers might think that the optics may be bad for Harbaugh ...... well, not really. Looks like JH did his due diligence with the young man but he and his dad just didn't like what he had to say. Whatever. Mountain, meet mole hill.

Comment

• So, M grayshirts? Hmmmmmm....
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Lots of recruits at the basketball game yesterday. Here's a write-up about one of them:
                            [jwplayer W0nmociD] Baltimore (Md.) St. Frances Academy 2020 four-star cornerback Luke Hill had “high standards” entering his Feb. 16-17 visit to Michigan. And Hill walked away from the…

Comment

• More: https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/...sketball-game/

Comment

• For those that may not have seen this diary post at mgo it's an interesting explanation of how the NCAA Transfer Portal works. Good read.

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about the transfer portal. Some of the questions centered on how many student athletes were in the portal and other discussions focused on the mechanics of the process. On Feb 1, 2019 there were 1,789 athletes in the portal that spanned all Division 1 sports. Just for a reference point, less than 600 of those transfers are football players. After football, one of the biggest transfer portal surprises has been D-1 Soccer. They have the largest percentage of transfers followed by Lacrosse and women's basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X