Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for fun, I read some stuff on M football at the various sites I (used to) follow regularly.

M's 2021 recruiting is pathetic. I think Hargaugh doesn't care and maybe never did or has resigned himself to Michigan being a second rate football entity. JH seems to be entirely happy with spring practices in exotic places, something other than winning the BTE or CCG as long as his teams "play hard" and going through the motions of playing in 2nd tier bowls and winning those doesn't matter anymore.

I'm not sure the NCAA has done much of anything regarding contingency planning for fall sports. They have taken reactionary steps such as extending the eligibility of student athletes affected by COVID-19. I did read an article from Bleacher report last week that indicated ADs and presidents are thinking about contingency plans for the 2021 football season but have heard nothing about the other sports. Seems the most talked about is spreading the football season over the late fall (mid-late Octobe) and winter terms either in a full or 9 game season and playing the bowls and the CFP in May, June.

Works for me. I don't think there is any chance that football games will be played in August - Zero chance, IMO. I also read in that same article that ADs and presidents are uniformly against having players come back to play in empty stadiums - not going to happen. Good. That would suck.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• With the epicenter of this outbreak being in the 4-5 county area around Detroit, (Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw and Livingston) I don't see how there can be a football season for Michigan at Michigan Stadium as long as any Covid-19 threat exists. There's no way 110K fans are going to gather in a stadium, shoulder to shoulder, to watch a FB game if Covid is still around, even in small amounts.

I have no clue as to when college sports, or any sports, for that matter, may resume.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• HARBAUGH!!!! will not lose to Ohio State this year. Unfortunately.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Well, the CFB season certainly isn't going to start in August. That's for sure. Possibly mid-October with a 9 game season stretching into January and bowl games/CFP after that ..... maybe ..... a big maybe.

Wuhan is the process of lifting travel restrictions and allowing businesses to reopen. According to reports from the "man on the street," residents remain fearful. Confidence has been shattered. Reminders of requirements for social distancing remain everywhere.

I expect a similar response in the US if and when state and local governments start to loosen EOs. That's going to extend to fan willingness to risk exposure in a cramped stadium environment.

If there is a CFB season at all, I'll most likely be watching on TV.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Well, by July 1, we'll have 3 more months of real data, which is roughly 3X what we have now. As you've correctly noted, nobody REALLY knows, so what we think today could very easily change in a week or month or two months.

But, yes, I lost all optimist about 10 days ago. I have next to no hope that CFB will get played in 2020. Justin Fields last pass as a Buckeye will the interception he threw when Olave wrongly broke off his route.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• If the 2020 season is cancelled, I think the NCAA would do the same thing they did with Spring 2020, and allow another year of eligibility to anyone who wants it. Some may choose to enter the NFL anyway.

It would be interesting to see how an abbreviated CFB season like Jeff is speaking about would be handled. No OOC games, maybe? Only conference games? Fan number restrictions? And would the players have to give up Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks to stay on campus to play games? Lots of questions to be answered.

As I noted in my previous post, the epicenter for the outbreak in Michigan is where I'd guess 70% of the fans come from, that fill Michigan stadium each week. I can't see those folks showing up if Covid is any kind of threat at all. Even if they threw open the gates and made the games free.

Comment

• Going to be a weird fall without football.

Hope you and your family are well liney.
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Yeah, it would be strange without CFB. I think I'd even miss the NFL somewhat.

We are all well. Staying hunkered down in our double-wide, and only going out for groceries and occasional take-out. My grass is turning green in the yard. I may have to get the lawn tractor out in a few weeks.

You and yours stay well too, Wiz. That goes for all who post here. Stay inside, stay well. All of you.

Comment

• If there are sports happening any time soon, I would guess it will have to start out without fan attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                      If there are sports happening any time soon, I would guess it will have to start out without fan attendance.
                      Agree, and especially at places like New York, Detroit, Los Angeles, Seattle, et al. Places where Covid has had the most impact are not going to draw fans, even if the games were open to them. I can't see anyone in Michigan heading to Comerica Park (downtown Detroit) to see the Tigers, if there is even a remote chance of Covid infection.

I can't even see the players agreeing to play in those areas if any Covid threat exists.

Comment

• Maybe games could be played in the middle of a cornfield...if you build it...they will come...

...I'll bring my tractor...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I'm not sure any students will be going to college in the fall, but you have to take it week by week. I've never seen something at this scale where what you thought a week prior was rendered moot by the next week. Maybe in a month it will look better.

It feels like 3 years ago that the Spartans hired Mel Tucker.

Comment

• That's something I hadn't even considered. If any Covid threat still exists in August, I agree, I can't see them opening the campuses for students, especially the residence halls.

Yesterday, our county reported no new cases, and that 7 people who had Covid, have recovered. I'll take any kind of good news at the moment.

Comment

• In the computer biz we can come up with a new anti-virus in 24 hours for a new virus...I don't know why the medical field takes so long...ridiculous...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Our crappy recruiting class just picked up another low 3* linebacker recruit. Yay!

Comment

Working...
                                X