Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talent gap in 2011 was nil, Ohio was really young (lots of sophomores) while M was a lot of juniors and a nice mix of seniors and sophomores. M graduated some good talent (Martin, Van Bergen, Molk, Hemingway, Koger, etc.) while Ohio lost very little. I'd give the talent advantage in '12 to Ohio but still close enough, M has a good shot in The Game...

Concur the talent gap between M, Ohio and the rest of the conference will see a divide. Ohio in the Tressel era has remained a level above everyone else, M should join OSU as a team that wins 10+ games annually and is a regular in BCS bowls...

Comment

• Supposedly its Auburn for Diamond.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
        Randy Rhoads? Red Robin? Can't think of any other RR that fits the bill.
        Ricky Raccoon? Ricky Ricardo?

Comment

• Supposedly its Auburn for Diamond
          Another win for the OSU "insider" if correct. Trooper/$$$$$$$$$.

There was a reason OSU didn't communicate with Diamond after his OV. At all.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Meyer and Hoke are both aggressive and good recruiters. I don't think Meyer will win every Ohio recruiting battle with Hoke, but he will win many. Overall, together, Meyer and Hoke will hurt the rest of B1G, and I suspect that the gap between the top and middle of the conference that had vanished will start to reemerge, and we will see frequent M and Ohio battles for the top until PSU and Neb can get their houses back in order. I think Dantonio and Bielema's recent outcries only support the fact that they see the writing on the wall as well.

In a way, order is finally being restored to the world.
            Quoted because I agree almost entirely with this. I'm not sure what the gap will be (if any) between M and OSU. But the rest of the B10 is in dire straits. For the league's sake, I hope Pellini and O'Brien step it up, but the if they don't it's over. Hokattison, right now, is the only coach that is going to compete with UFM on the recruiting trail. The rest better make it up in-game/player development. Good luck.

Comment

• From OSU insider who called Auburn:

if Diamond chooses Auburn I will laugh for a week....

how predictable was this...???
              Personally, I'm hoping he picks M. But I think he was bought.

Comment

• Regarding the overall recruiting "suckage" of the so-called bottom 10 of the B1G, all I can hope for is that this recently-finished signing day is an only a temporary slippage overall for the rest of the conference. Yeah, great that we recruit better than them all, but not THAT much better, I'd rather that the conference as a whole got stronger.

Comment

• The middle of the conference has to do much better to compare to other leagues like the SEC. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State and MSU I'm lookin' at you.
                  Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                    Talent gap in 2011 was nil, Ohio was really young (lots of sophomores) while M was a lot of juniors and a nice mix of seniors and sophomores.
                    I don't agree with this statement, because you are equating experience with talent. I would agree that the having more upperclassmen in important positions may have offset the lower level of talent, but the talent disparity was present.

I know we all acknowledge that recruiting "stars" are not the be all end all ... but go and average the star level for all players on the roster ... Ohio was more talented than the 2011 M team ... it is not nil.

Comment

• I guess Diamond can't tell time?
                      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• yeah, Diamond is a Tiger. Gets to wrestle against the 'Bama D-line.

Comment

• 11-2 M less talented than 7-6 Ohio? Skill is an important aspect of talent and M had significant advantages in skill due to their more experience.
                          Last edited by WM Wolverine; February 3, 2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• you missed my point. I never said that a less talented team couldn't win more. I am talking about talent according to recruiting services, which over a long term and with large numbers of players, is not a bad measure of talent.

Also, I believe Ohio was 6-7 last year... don't give them X-tra credit

Comment

• So, the guy that said Diamond will go to Auburn posted this (he refers to his various sources as "wismen" -- he's up to four...heh):

it all began innocently enough, with a phone call from the Third Wiseman a couple of days before Diamond's official visit.

"I just met G-Bone" he said. (Now you have to understand, that just hearing the Third Wiseman say the words "G-Bone" was comedy gold in and of itself)

"Who is G-Bone?", I asked.

"G-Bone is Diamond's "guy"---and he is here a couple days in advance to look around and check things out in Columbus".

Sounded good to me, as I know a lot of people have a preconceived notion about Columbus, and being "Columbus proud" this seemed like a good thing. "Let me know how he likes it" I told the Third Wiseman---who assured me that he would .

Fast forward to the weekend--and it was a big one for the Buckeyes---Dunn, Pittman, Dodson, Diamond etc etc etc a veritable all star cast of high school talent---and there was Jordan right in the middle telling anyone and everyone of his intention to be a Buckeye. Lots of people were hearing this---and buying what he was selling. But I was still curious about G-Bone---and wanted to know more about his thoughts about Columbus---so I lobbed a call into the Third Wiseman.

He didn't call me back until Monday but when he did his words were "forget about Diamond". I was like "whattttttt?" And the Third Wiseman said "he will end up at Auburn--mark it down".

Now at this point in time "Auburn" was on the radar, but a longshot at best. "Auburn---100%" he repeated.

I was stunned---and even more stunned when he said "I wouldn't be surprised if OSU stops recruiting this kid---and soon---watch Nevada"

By this time I was trying to think of questions so I went with "what about Michigan???".....

The Third Wiseman said "nope---I know you hate them, but they don't pay for guys or give moms jobs"

I was now really surprised. So all I could muster was "what about G-Bone?"

"We have to let the G-Bones of the world do their thing---but it can't be at Ohio State"--said the Wiseman----"G-Bone will take this program down, and we've already stared into the abyss"

"so G-Bone was a bad guy", I asked....

"yes, G-Bone was a bad guy", said the Wiseman---"but G-Bone will love Auburn, its perfect for him--remember I said that"

Now we come to today, and Diamond suddenly picks Auburn---and all that I have left is a mental picture of the Third Wiseman mouthing the words "G-Bone" at me----and I'm all right with that.....

Comment

• Also, I believe Ohio was 6-7 last year... don't give them X-tra credit
                                They're losers no matter how you slice it!

Comment

Working...
                                X