Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And which elite coach who is waiting in the wings would you hire?
    I've asked that question many times in here, Rocky.

For me, a single, solitary Michigan fan whose opinion means squat ... I'd dump Hoke and see who shows interest. I don't think I'd set my sights on any one guy. John Harbaugh is worth a go, if he's truly interested. I also like the guy at Oklahoma State. (I'm a man!!! I'm 40!!!) Also, whomever is the OC at Stanford might be worth a look. He obviously understands Harbaugh-ball.

Jim Harbaugh ain't coming, no matter what the circumstances or money.

Neither is Les Miles. Don't want him anyway.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Regards Peppers and perhaps other potential recruits… Wondering what Peppers might tweet if, in the near future, Brandon issues a strong statement to the effect that Hoke will be M's coach next year regardless... Would Peppers then tweet that taking "visits" is off the table or would he continue on with looking at other schools? If the former, then I would think that Hoke is a significant factor not only in Peppers' commitment but perhaps in the commitment, resolve, or interest of other potential recruits. If the latter, then I think that the "Hoke is my coach position" is just a sham and Peppers as well as others might just be looking for an excuse to abandon a sinking ship--perhaps like D. Hand and the Alabama engineering school statement.

I guess another question I would have is at what point does M make a definitive statement as to what coaching changes, if any, are to be made but particularly in reference to Hoke. I mean if we are looking at perhaps saving a recruitng class than announcments after signing day would seem optimal but Peppers' "visit" statement perhaps makes that a moot point. But, if M waits too long to announce any changes are we hurting our chances to field good options for any potential new coaches (even at the risk of losing some recruits). Is there a balance or tipping point in the coaching changes vs recruiting dilemma?

Does anyone here think that, at the current time, M may be sending out feelers to other potential coaching targets?

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        That John Harbaugh shit didn't come out of nowhere. Somebody wanted a trial balloon floated. No matter the origin, you start by offering him the highest salary in CFB. You justify it at the press conference with a bit of haughty Michigan Man bullshit -- ``standards are higher here at this primarily academic institution...''

If that doesn't work you look at who to poach from Stanford to replace Funkorges.
        the extension JH signed put him at 7 million per. is um wiling to offer up at least that much while buying out his contract from the Ravens? If so then no doubt you go out and grab him. I have a hard time seeing this happening given the reluctance of Michigan to spend.
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• If Michigan were to dump Hoke, and IMMEDIATELY get John Harbaugh on board, I think Peppers threat to "take visits" would go away. Harbaugh would very likely keep Greg Mattison, (good friends) and Mattison is who'd be Peppers position coach anyway.

Shoot, Harbaugh might still try to find a place for Brady Hoke, if Hoke were willing to stay on. Maybe as a DL coach, and recruiting coordinator?

Comment

• Dream on.

I know. There's only hope left.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• ::: sigh :::

Comment

That John Harbaugh shit didn't come out of nowhere. Somebody wanted a trial balloon floated. ........ If that doesn't work you look at who to poach from Stanford to replace Funkorges.
                I think it did (come out of nowhere). These sports rags, nowadays, are famous for throwing some wild shit out there and hope it sticks. If it does, you just got a huge promotion for getting the early scoop. You know this.

As for poaching someone from Stanford? That just isn't going to happen.

IF, Brandon and Hoke are actually looking (a BIG if), my guess would be they're looking at lower level assistants in the NFL ..... like this guy:

Picture from someplace that won't post up, sorry

Remember him? Former M OL coach and later OC, Terry Malone. he actually brought a decent TE and WR passing game to Lloyd's play book. Perfect.

I'd offer him a bag full of cash, an Asst. HC hat and a path to M's HC position which I'm pretty sure Mattison does not want any part of so, he wouldn't be hurt at all by that sort of thing.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Mackenzie View Post
                  ......I guess another question I would have is at what point does M make a definitive statement as to what coaching changes, if any, are to be made but particularly in reference to Hoke. I mean if we are looking at perhaps saving a recruitng class than announcments after signing day would seem optimal but Peppers' "visit" statement perhaps makes that a moot point. But, if M waits too long to announce any changes are we hurting our chances to field good options for any potential new coaches (even at the risk of losing some recruits). Is there a balance or tipping point in the coaching changes vs recruiting dilemma?

Does anyone here think that, at the current time, M may be sending out feelers to other potential coaching targets?
                  I think the Peppers tweets are just distracting. Its in the weeds sort of stuff. While Peppers would be a huge loss for Hoke and his recruiting halo, its a symptom of a larger problem that Brandon and Hoke have to be thinking about.

But you're later question is a good one.

Yes, I think someone within the M football program is looking around. How can you not. The offense sucks in so many objectively identifiable ways. Borges is to Hoke as GERG was to Rodriguez. I have a problem understanding how anyone with a brain cannot be considering options for OC ..... well, then there is Dave. But despite Brandon's ponderous list of stupid shit going down on his watch ..... our people are talking to their people is the way I'd see it right now.
                  Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 27, 2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                    Dream on.

I know. There's only hope left.
                    Hope is lost in the woods and my give-a-shit is out looking for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                      I think it did (come out of nowhere). These sports rags, nowadays, are famous for throwing some wild shit out there and hope it sticks. If it does, you just got a huge promotion for getting the early scoop. You know this.
                      I don't think it means out-and-out fabrication though.

Comment

• Neither is Les Miles. Don't want him anyway.

I'm sure that ship has sailed (lol) but at this point no way would I thumb my nose at the idea.

Comment

• Some folks just want to hear that name.
                          Atlanta, GA

Comment

Neither is Les Miles. Don't want him anyway.

I'm sure that ship has sailed (lol) but at this point no way would I thumb my nose at the idea.
                            Miles is probably a little too old to take on a reclamation project like Michigan. At any rate, I don't think these big name coaches that have been thrown around would want any part of UM. Our famous arrogance makes us believe that anyone we offer "would walk to Ann Arbor!" to take the job. IMO, potential candidates probably view the culture in AA like it's some elderly relatives that have plastic on their furniture.

One thing about the RR fiasco that is never discussed is how it may have changed the perception among coaches about the UM program. Nobody comes off looking good in Three and Out. I would think a lot of coaches and their agents were very interested in what happened to Rich Rod. All of a sudden we look like a hot psycho chick. Really appealing on the outside but comes with a ton of baggage and bullshit you don't need.
                            Last edited by Mike; November 27, 2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Short of striking gold, if Miles wants it we've got to give it to him. Even if it's not a long-term solution.

Agreed -- I wouldn't want any part of that bullshit either.

Comment

• I'd be happy to give Miles the keys to the Ferrari.

Comment

Working...
                                X