This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    No doubt, just the point is the star system is not the end all be all. You guys have gotten a lot of 4 star recruits and 5 star recruits the last 10 years and they haven't done much.
    We have also had our share of 3 star and 2 star guys, and most of them have sucked.

Comment

• The thing Michigan has that no NFL program does is giving Harbaugh a chance to help select the new AD. The Raiders might offer full control, but he's still working for Al Davis' kid. He'll never take the Redskins job if that kind of control is important to him. Michigan allows him to control his own destiny in a way that no other place can. He can exploit Michigan's dysfunction in a way to insulate himself from it, which he can't do win an NFL team.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        The thing Michigan has that no NFL program does is giving Harbaugh a chance to help select the new AD. The Raiders might offer full control, but he's still working for Al Davis' kid. He'll never take the Redskins job if that kind of control is important to him. Michigan allows him to control his own destiny in a way that no other place can. He can exploit Michigan's dysfunction in a way to insulate himself from it, which he can't do win an NFL team.
        I'd really like to think that is a huge positive, Hack. But it probably isn't. Why?

To me, and obviously to you, this is a no brainer. JH is going to own M football and that is going to be part of the deal if Hackett has his head in the right place.

I'm supposing now but suppose Hackett and Harbaugh have meet and the offer is on the table. Jim's response is, "I want to consider all the options before I make a decision." This is Harbaugh 2010. My response to the that, if I'm Hackett, is fine ..... You have until X to make up your mind (and, I'm assuming that is not later than the end of December if Hackett wants to get somebody aboard on a schedule that matters).

If, Harbaugh had any heart for M, if he had anything else in mind other than what is best for Jim, he would have already signed, if not surreptitiously and with SF's blessing (and a couple million in York's pocket from Steven Ross), with an announcement to come at the end of the SF season. That might have happened but I highly doubt it or we would not be hearing all the chatter about someone else. This would be the best kept secret since Enigma. Impossible.

So, my conclusion is that he is going to string Hackett along as long as he can and then take the best deal FOR JIM HARBAUGH ...... And that isn't going to be Michigan for all the reasons I've already posted.

I would love to be wrong.
        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 9, 2014, 03:03 PM.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Dunno what you mean. What you posted doesn't seem to address what I said. My thought is that he shouldn't come here because he loves Michigan, or, at best, that shouldn't be a major reason. That's just gravy. He should come here because he thinks its a place where he can thrive -- that's the meat and potatoes. I'm just saying that one of the arguments that can and should be made to him is that he won't have any one York/Davis/Snyder-type asshole that can decide his future or interfere with what he wants to do, and furthermore the one person who formally has the power to can him would be an AD he can help hire. Harbaugh knows that as long as he does it clean, he should have more power here than anywhere else in the NFL.

Comment

• There are a lot of advantages to coaching in the NFL, too. No recruiting is the biggest one. You have to work year round in college, and you get scrutinized whenever one of you players gets in trouble. He's YOUR kid, whereas he's a grown man in the NFL.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• If Harbaugh had signed in season with Michigan while coaching San Francisco, I believe he'd be dangerously close to weasel coach territory. Like TMQ says about such creatures:

TMQ?s immutable Law of Weasels holds: When you hire a coach who?s only in it for himself, you get a coach who?s only in it for himself.

That is where the old Michigan Man name from.

Comment

• LOL. I haven't read that guy in years. He's right, but, that said, he has a ton of ``immutable laws''. I bet he has an immutable law for what's for dinner on Thursdays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                  There are a lot of advantages to coaching in the NFL, too. No recruiting is the biggest one. You have to work year round in college, and you get scrutinized whenever one of you players gets in trouble. He's YOUR kid, whereas he's a grown man in the NFL.
                  I agree. More money, the ultimate prize, etc. Frankly I never would have thought that Michigan had a shot at Harbaugh before he won a SB, and if he comes I suspect he'll leave again for a shot at one. Here, I'm just thinking about the arguments Michigan needs to make.

(Cause we all know Hackett wakes up daily and wonders what we all think here on the forum...)

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                    Dunno what you mean. What you posted doesn't seem to address what I said. My thought is that he shouldn't come here because he loves Michigan, or, at best, that shouldn't be a major reason. That's just gravy. He should come here because he thinks its a place where he can thrive -- that's the meat and potatoes. I'm just saying that one of the arguments that can and should be made to him is that he won't have any one York/Davis/Snyder-type asshole that can decide his future or interfere with what he wants to do, and furthermore the one person who formally has the power to can him would be an AD he can help hire. Harbaugh knows that as long as he does it clean, he should have more power here than anywhere else in the NFL.
                    Got it ........ I agree with you on that level.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Interesting factoid about Gregg Easterbrook. his brother is a very influential Federal Appeals Court judge
                      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• He's also one of less than 10 people that DIDN'T walk out on The New Republic last week. Smart guy, but odd duck.

Comment

• Who is Gregg Easterbrooke? Who is his brother? What is The New Republic? WTF did I miss?

Comment

• SOME EXTREMELY IMPORTANT SHIT OMFG WTF YOU DIDN'T KNOW

Comment

• Mike Weber officially commits to Ohio State

Comment

• Of course at the University of Diminished Expectations it is more important to coddle a coach that was paid 3M to leave so that he may continue to party with his players.

Instead of focusing 100% on the future, stop the bleeding immediately and secure Weber.
                                Last edited by Optimus Prime; December 11, 2014, 05:37 PM.
                                ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

Working...
                                X