Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane Morris was a very highly regarded QB when he committed, Morris committed early and his rankings dropped when he missed his senior season. At the time, M had to take Shane...

QB recruiting since has puzzled me with Borges having pretty much final evaluations on every QB M recruited (later Nussmeier) and M often targeted players ranked lower than some QB's who were very interested in M.

No clue how this group of QB's does in college but it's long been the position group I'm most concerned with in recruiting as the staffs evaluations don't match-up well with the recruiting service or mine which, I receive most all of my info from the recruiting services.

Comment

• The '12 recruiting class was very solid and deep. Hoke landed a large number of 4-stars or high 3-stars but nobody really in the top 150, game breaker types... Agree with Talent on the '13 class, it's really good and will be the reason M is or isn't successful in '15/'16...

Talent brought up the lack of game breakers at RB/WR as a negative of Hoke. Again, couldn't agree more. Who M targeted for WR's was generally as perplexing as M's QB recruiting under Hoke. Hoke & his staff targeted 6'4" types without speed and these WR's have yet to catch many passes yet in college. This from a position group that generally can make an impact early...

With Isaac's transfer, M did pretty well at RB in '13 with Ty saac, Derrick Green, DeVeon Smith along with Drake Johnson... This group should do very well if they have blockers (I felt the mostly rs-So line from last season took huge steps forward later in the season) AND have a QB who is a threat to beat you with his arm. Devin was a huge threat to beat himself so nobody respected his arm, linebackers and safeties could cheat the run with Gardner as long as you weren't covering Funchess.

Comment

• Who recruited Bellemy?

Comment

• "Besides, bantering with us (and losing $ 350/hr or so as a lawyer), indicates the high esteem in which he holds us. "

Talent lost his high paying $350 an hour job. He's now a mere "public service attorney" toiling away in the AG's office. I assume he didn't make the cut at his last job because he spends so much time on this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Do you think JH would have recruited Shane, Buchanan? Because I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever in my mind that he would have.

It may be that JH better understands the position. I reckon any competent coach understands more about football than Hoke. So, I'd definitely trust JH over Hoke if it came down to assessing a 3*. However, I think JH would have absolutely recruited Sugar Shane and been thrilled to get him.

I think Hoke's recruiting after Shane failed when he settled for Speight.

As for development, I think Ohio State offers an example of what competent coaching can do (compare 2011 to 2012-14).
            I don't know about you guys but I feel fortunate that we have Jim Harbaugh making these decisions and not our well-intentioned neighbors to the south.
            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Bellomy was a Plan D recruit, little was expected of him as M added him late and kept him from going to Purdue or a MAC caliber program.
              Last edited by WM Wolverine; February 16, 2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Stan:

Did you just say Talent works in the AG's office for the State of Ohio !! Holy Shit !!

Well, I have lots to say about that, but I'll start with

"He hath established a multitude of new offices and sent hither swarms of officers to harass our people and eat out their substance" That is the Declaration of Independence.

Talent is eating us out.

Comment

• Hoke's QB recruiting was terrible. Bellomy was understandable but after not getting a blue chipper in 2011, he didn't even take a single QB in 2012, banking the future of the program on one guy -- Shane Morris, who had a very unimpressive senior year. Then, when it was clear that Shane might not be The Man after all, he took Wilton Speight in 2014. And he didn't "settle" for Speight -- that was their man. In 2015, he sat on his fat ass and was slow getting out offers to blue chippers even though everyone under the sun knew that we desperately needed an elite QB in the 2015 class. Then he settled for a mediocre Malzone.

Comment

• In other areas, he aimed for the elites. Got Peppers. Almost Hand. Green was the best RB in his class, though not totally loved by scouts, but still. OL, etc.

QB on the other hand -- it supports the points made here.

Comment

• What criteria are we using for Malzone being mediocre?

Comment

• Rhymes with Calzone.
                        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Malzone might be my favorite of Hoke's four QB's.

Comment

• Some 247 Composite top 150 players of varying interest to M fans:

2. Rashan Gary (DT)
                            4. Jacob Eason (QB - Georgia Verbal)
                            30. Ben Bredeson (OT)
                            42. KJ Costello (QB)
                            69. Prince Sammons (DE)
                            76. Daelin Hayes (WR - USC Verbal)
                            102. Austin Robertson (DE)
                            104. Donnie Corley (WR)
                            130. Erik Swenson (OT - M Verbal)

Gary, Bredeson and Costello would be a nice core for the class!
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Eligibility update to 1st page along with recruiting needs for '16. I've had very different opinions on who did and didn't redshirt in '14...

M is very Jr. heavy both in talent and depth. Underclass talent is starting to look like its going to need an influx of talent very soon after subpar (or worse) recruiting in '14 & '15.

Comment

• Thanks for that, talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X