Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive class above looks like it'll be quite strong but would look even better with a game-breaker at WR...

I'm far more worried about the defensive side of the ball.

Comment

• Gotta work on Corley. No one recruit should be an indication of anything, but he's something of an indicator.

Comment

• M was working from too far behind on Donnie Corley WR and Khalid Kareem DE. Two in-state talents I really like, both top 5 guys in-state M is likely to lose to its rivals. For M to have a chance with them they'd need to decide late in the process AND M needs to impress on-the-field in 2015...

Both are replaceable as-is any recruit on my recruiting board not named Rashan Gary.

Comment

• Despite being committed elsewhere, I like M's chances in the near-term of landing Daelin Hayes LB & LaVert Hill CB. Two other top 5 in-state recruits.

Comment

• We need at least one of them. Preferably both, and there has been chatter about them being flippable.

Comment

• re: as far as barometer, I would say the # of the top 10 in-state players as a good starting point, not any one recruit...

Flipping Hayes or/and Hill would certainly help change M in the eyes of other in-state prospects like Corley & Kareem.

Comment

• Where have you seen any inkling on Hayes?

Comment

• Corley seems like a real longshot. I don't think M is even in his top 3. And he seems pretty set on #1.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I don't know what's its based on but some insiders think Hayes isn't near as solid to USC as he was.

Comment

• Both are replaceable as-is any recruit on my recruiting board not named Rashan Gary.
                      Ok, yeah. Your barometers make sense to me too.

Comment

• Some years, I would say only the top 4-5 in-state recruits but it's a real strong group in-state.

Comment

• Not a definitive list but a top ranking of in-state '16 prospects:

*1. Daelin Hayes LB 5*
                          *2. Khalid Kareem SDE 4*
                          *3. Donnie Corley WR 4*
                          *4. Lavert Hill CB 4*
                          *5. Michael Onwenu OG 4*
                          *6. Matt Falcon RB 4*
                          *7. Michael Jordan OT 4*
                          *8. Thiyo Lukusa OG 4*
                          *9. Desmond Fitzpatrick WR 3*
                          *10. Demetric Vance S 3*

Talent falls off a bit after 9/10 but still some M caliber players there like Martell Pettaway ATH/RB, Cameron Kolwich OG, David Reese LB/FB, Mikale Washington QB, Brandon Randle LB and Alaric Jackson OT.

M should do very well in the 5-9 range. Sparty should clean-up from the 10 - 20 range. The 'fight' will be over the top 4; Corley, Kareem, Hayes and Hill. A couple are a good bet to head out-of-state if M doesn't get their act together on-the-field.

Comment

• '17 class is every bit as strong as the '16 class, likely more so... It's too early for me to pay too close of attention but there is elite talent in there...

*1. Donovan Peoples-Jones WR 5*
                            *2-8: Josh Ross LB, Jaylen Kelly-Powell S, Corey Malone-Hatcher SDE, JayRamond Hall OT, KJ Hamler WR, Emani Mason OT & Ambry Thomas CB

Comment

• WM or Talent - I have a general question, for big lineman when do they start giving real grades? I know a lot of these lineman can't really play until the 9th grade because of weight restrictions. I remember when we played McDowell as a sophmore, Alabama was already on the case but I wonder if he was an outlier. Is it different for skill position players versus lineman?

Comment

• I'm not sure there's a huge difference b/t linemen and skill players. Post-sophomore season is when kids typically start to get noticed. The superstars -- maybe a year earlier. The way it would typically work is that the kids attends a summer camp in his home state after his soph year and gets noticed by that school. Then others notice.

McDowell is more of the exception. He was a stud for a long time.

Nick Bosa started for St. Thomas Aquinas in Ft Lauderdale as a freshman. That will get you noticed.

That said, I guess the kids that commit super early seem to be skill position players, so maybe they do want to wait and see a bit more on linemen before they'll accept a commitment. They're still recruiting them at the same age, but it's more of the dialogue/relationship building stuff than "commitable offer" stuff.

But that's just my total gut feeling on it.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X