This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    I'm a skeptic but I think your analysis is fair, for the most part.

I'd take exception to the similarity you offer b/t SF and M in a rebuilding mode regarding "badass lineman." Harbaugh had the luxury at SF of plugging in lineman from the draft that would be immediate contributors.

None of the recruits M is targeting or already has commitments from as linemen, defense or offense, won't be immediate contributors. So there is that.

Harbaugh had Frank Gore on the roster as well. M dos not have a comparable power back. It has power backs but no one on that level.

Morris or Ruddock, the likely starters, aren't Colin Kaepernick to start with.

Finally, Anquan Bolden. Does M have anybody even remorely close to that skill level on the WR roster. Nope.

So, Harbaugh is dealing with the M roster he has on offense. There's some talent but it is by no means equivalent to what he was working with when he hit the ground running at SF.
    So the only way JH is going to win at Michigan is to replicate a Super Bowl team? That's a pretty shitty coach.

Comment

• No. He has to go 4-8 first, and then 5-7. Only way.

Comment

• 1. 5-7
        2. Hire Harbaugh
        3. ?
        4. Championship and Profit
        Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          No. He has to go 4-8 first, and then 5-7. Only way.
          It's mind boggling to me the way people think sometimes. Because he started off at Stanford 1-10 or whatever the hell it was, he's going to struggle year one here? There's no connection and makes zero sense. Then once the narrative is created, it's just accepted.

First STARS matter. Hoke gets STARS. Hoke's a shitty coach. JH isn't, but then STARS don't matter.

Comment

• I think the thing to take away is people don't know anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              I think the thing to take away is people don't know anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                I think the thing to take away is people don't know anything.
                I know my name
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                  It's mind boggling to me the way people think sometimes. Because he started off at Stanford 1-10 or whatever the hell it was, he's going to struggle year one here? There's no connection and makes zero sense. Then once the narrative is created, it's just accepted.

First STARS matter. Hoke gets STARS. Hoke's a shitty coach. JH isn't, but then STARS don't matter.

When Rich Rodriguez came to Michigan and shit the bed in his first season we were reassured that his teams made dramatic turnarounds in year two. It didn't happen. Which proves your point that one experience doesn't necessarily follow another. I suppose the same logic could be used to predict a great first season considering he went 13-3 his first year in San Francisco. However, looking at Harbaugh's first year at Stanford indicates that his presence does not necessarily equal an instant turnaround because HARBAUGH! as some seem to believe. It took some time. I believe it will in Ann Arbor, too. I think he has inherited a mediocre roster. Whatever star rating these kids received from recruiting services doesn't matter at this point. They haven't accomplished anything on the field. I see improvements, but I also see huge hurdles. I even predicted a two win increase (7) from last season based solely on the coaching upgrade, not "1-10 or whatever the hell it was."
                  Last edited by Rocky Bleier; July 11, 2015, 07:38 PM.
                  I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Stanford definitely had no talent. We have people on here screaming stars. There's plenty of stars on this team. Everyone agrees hoke sucked. So why do stars not mean anything all the sudden?

I don't really care one way or another. Just some contradiction happening.

Comment

• Just the facts:
                      Harbaugh took an NFL roster from a fired coach, they had not made the playoffs in 10 years and suddenly appeared in the NFC title game at the end of his first season.

A Goddamn, f*ing miracle!

Michigan had some talent when the fatman was fired, expect JH to maximize it.
                      Last edited by Prime2; July 12, 2015, 04:42 AM.
                      "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                        Stanford definitely had no talent. We have people on here screaming stars. There's plenty of stars on this team. Everyone agrees hoke sucked. So why do stars not mean anything all the sudden?

I don't really care one way or another. Just some contradiction happening.
                        I think stars matter overall, but maybe Hoke's staff wasn't very good at recognizing talent. Dantonio has done more with less heralded players. Singletary's gone. Maybe that's why. I also agree that Hoke wasn't a good coach. His players/teams never seemed to progress.
                        Last edited by Rocky Bleier; July 11, 2015, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime2 View Post
                          Just the facts:
                          Harbaugh took an NFL roster from a fired coach, they had not made the playoffs in 10 years and suddenly appeared in the NFC title game at the end of his first season.

A Goddamn, fucking miracle!

Michigan had some talent when the fatman was fired, expect JH to maximize it.
                          Yes, he did, and I addressed that above. I just don't see it here because I've seen nothing from the kids on the current roster that says they're capable of a lot more. My biggest concern is at QB. Maybe I'm wrong. Urban went undefeated his first year at osu with a team that was 6-7 the year before under Fickell. Much as I hate to admit it.
                          Last edited by Rocky Bleier; July 11, 2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• That is because CFB compared to the Pros is an F*ing joke.

Harbaugh will win his games, he beat Pete Carroll, who was a 41 pt. favorite with a walk-on QB.

Carroll easily eclipses anything Meyer or Saban have done, given his NFL success.
                            Last edited by Prime2; July 12, 2015, 04:41 AM.
                            "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                              I think stars matter overall, but maybe Hoke's staff wasn't very good at recognizing talent. Dantonio has done more with less heralded players. Singletary's gone. Maybe that's why. I also agree that Hoke wasn't a good coach. His players/teams never seemed to progress.
                              No, it doesn't work that way. Singletary wasn't the one giving STARS out. It was the same recruiting services that people are whining about HARBAUGH! signing right now.

Comment

• Urban went undefeated his first year at osu with a team that was 6-7 the year before under Fickell. Much as I hate to admit it.
                                What has Harbaugh done since coming to Michigan that makes you feel he can't do the same?

There are plenty of kids on the current roster that are talented enough to win a lot of ballgames.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X