Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't know why Harbaugh is doing this unless he is trying to convince Nordin to forgo the PSU scholly in order to Walk-on or PWO at M --- we are already running low on schollies.

Comment

• With the two recent grad transfers maybe something is opening up for him. Kickers are important, like it or not. They are instrumental in field position battles

Comment

• M, like every other B10 team, can only sign 28. They currently have 24 commits and 18 or so available spots.

They need to cut another 8-10 players or shed some verbals or both.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• We just brought in one. I guess not only Kenny Allen beat him out but the future has too?

Comment

• Tuesday's football: Proposal would ban satellite camps

Detroit News wire services 3:07 a.m. EST January 13, 2016

Jim Harbaugh's "Summer Swarm Tour" would not be allowed if proposals by the ACC and SEC were to go through.(Photo: AJ Mast, Associated Press)

The Atlantic Coast And Southeastern Conferences have introduced proposals for the NCAA convention, set to begin Wednesday in San Antonio, which would abolish satellite camps, a concept Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh employed extensively last summer.
            The ACC proposal would forbid universities to use secondary sites for camps. Such camps would have to be held on campus or at facilities regularly used by the program. Harbaugh went on a “Summer Swarm” tour in 2015, holding camps in various locations.
            The SEC proposal would prohibit coaches from serving as guest coaches at another school’s camp. Harbaugh issued a blanket invitation for coaches to work at Michigan’s “Exposure U” camp last summer and Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald accepted

Comment

• Absolutely outrageous. So I decided to look up which colleges have the highest aptitude scores for incoming freshmen:

Of the top 100, there is not a single SEC school. Not one. Yet De'Shawn Hand would have us believe that he went to Alabama for a good education. Nonsense.

The "Summer Swarm" and "Exposure U" camps allowed potential college football players display their abilities and perhaps earn a scholarship. What could be more American than that? These were kids who could not afford to go on the "camp circuit", and most assuredly not go to IMG. The SEC in particular, and the ACC, want to keep these players down on the plantation.

We can expect the normal SEC response that the data on quality colleges is all wrong, and that "everybody does it". Other than a big payday, why would a player ever go to an SEC school when he can go most anywhere and get a better education?

I personally hope that the B10 and Pac-12 defeat this anti-black initiative, and that they call it exactly what it is.

Comment

• facilities regularly used by the program

Once a year is regular.

Comment

• I like the "limiting opportunity for minorities" angle as a counter to the SEC/ACC bullshit. Problem is, Power 5 football isn't about educational opportunities for minorities. It's about winning football games in order to justify multi-million dollar salaries for coaches, filling 100,000 seat stadiums at $80-$100 per ticket, building facilities that would make the British Royals blush, and negotiating multi-billion dollar TV contracts.

HARBAUGH!! understands this and southern football powers don't like it one bit that Michigan has finally figured it out. No more recruiting with one hand tied behind our back, as you say. Rather than innovate like HARBAUGH!! has, they prefer to cry to the NCAA. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!...
                  Last edited by Mike; January 13, 2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• I reiterate what I've said on many occasions -- when recruits talk academics it's almost always total bullshit. More broadly, when the NCAA or any of its conferences cites academic concerns, it's almost always bullshit.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                      Absolutely outrageous. So I decided to look up which colleges have the highest aptitude scores for incoming freshmen:

Of the top 100, there is not a single SEC school. Not one.
                      When did Vanderbilt leave the SEC?
                      Atlanta, GA

Comment

• I did miss Vanderbilt from the SEC. Great School. Totally out of place in the SEC, and their football "success" shows it. BTW Ohio, MSU and PSU do not make the top 100.

I'd just add that every player who was interviewed at the AA game said that the first thing he wanted was to get a great education. That is simply a lie. I agree, Mike, that Power 5 football is not about educational opportunities for minorities, but rather about money. On the other hand, educational opportunity and making money are not mutually exclusive. On the list, near the top, are Stanford, Northwestern, and Duke. I agree about the Power 5, but the Exposure U camp was set up in order for relatively poor kids to show their talents in order to get a scholarship to a Non-P5 college. In that sense, that camp was an educational opportunity.

I'm an old fart who marched in Civil Rights marches in the 60s. I have a visceral reaction to proposals that seek to limit opportunity for blacks. The South has a higher proportion of blacks than does the rest of the country. So, I believe, trying to stop northern schools from recruiting in the south is a restraint on black opportunity even though it is true that a small number of blacks get a big payday from unethical and power-hungry boosters. So we have colleges, mostly public colleges, petitioning the NCAA to stop UM or OSU or PSU from setting up camps in the South.

Comment

• When did Vanderbilt leave the SEC?
                          I was typing to correct myself when you posted.

Comment

• Make 'em a deal. No satellite camps when the SEC switches over from 1 year schollies to 5 year schollies.
                            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Reasonable.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Do all of the Big10 teams do 4-year scholarships exclusively now?
                                Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                                X