Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    Eh. Not sure how I feel about divisional playoffs. If they are going to divisional playoffs, then I hope that they at least reduce the regular season meetings below six. People romanticize a lot of the old-school playoff battles, but man, was it ever tiresome watching the same teams meet every year. In a ten-year span from 1984 through 1993, the Red Wings played in 13 playoff series, and they faced only five different teams in those 13 series.
    Ain't that the truth, I 'd brake Jim Tressel's legs if it ushered in a return to the old # 1 plays # 16, # 2 plays # 15 etc. format.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; February 27, 2013, 03:37 PM.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• In a ten-year span from 1984 through 1993, the Red Wings played in 13 playoff series, and they faced only five different teams in those 13 series.
      But that was when we hated Toronto the most. The Blues too
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Columbus and Detroit will move from West to the East, leaving the West with only 14 teams. The NHL Players' Association confirmed that it has consented to a revised plan for realignment, effective for the 2013-14 season.

The top-three teams in each division would qualify for the playoffs while the top-two remaining teams in each conference would complete the playoff field, 8 out of 14 teams in the west and 8 out of 16 in the east.

Comment

• I absolutely love it. The Wings' division will be a lot of fun with Toronto and Buffalo so close by. At present, we certainly don't need to play Chicago 8 times a year either! Throw in Montreal, Boston and Ottawa and it will be the best collection of hockey fanbases in the NHL.

Comment

• Bad news...Red Wings' back-to-back losses to Columbus, WTF?

Good News....Sid the Kid leads the NHL and his Club in scoring, naturally. Seems he picked up where he left off, running away with the NHL scoring title when he was sidelined 1 1/2 years with a concussion. Welcome back Mr. Crosby.

Ovechkin ranks 50th on the list, how would you like to be paying that Russian 10 million a season to float? BTW, of course his Club is tied 2nd to last in the entire League.

NAME - Team- GP -G -A -PTS

C Sidney Crosby PIT 26 12 33 45
            C Steven Stamkos TB 25 19 18 37
            L Chris Kunitz PIT 26 17 19 36
            R Martin St Louis TB 25 6 27 33
            C Ryan Getzlaf ANA 24 10 21 31
            C Eric Staal CAR 24 12 18 30
            R Patrick Kane CHI 26 14 16 30
            L Thomas Vanek BUF 23 13 16 29
            C John Tavares NYI 26 16 13 29
            R Jakub Voracek PHI 27 12 17 29
            L James Neal PIT 26 17 11 28
            C Mike Ribeiro WSH 24 9 19 28
            Last edited by Optimus Prime; March 11, 2013, 01:24 PM.
            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I'm heading up to the Pond to watch the Ducks - Blackhawks game tonight. Best two records in the NHL head-to-head. Too bad they can't both lose.

Comment

• Agreed and not really. The truncated, Conference only mini-schedule, post lockout has the numbers screwed. Doubt either club carries the same with crossover play. Enjoy the game!

Comment

• Let's go Pens!
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The lockout robbed Chicago of a potentially record-setting season this year.

Comment

• Good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                        The lockout robbed Chicago of a potentially record-setting season this year.

Blackhawks are on fire, no doubt. Wonder what their numbers would have been provided they play a full 82-game schedule including Eastern Conference teams? The NHL will never know.

Hard not to see a Chicago v. Montreal/Boston/or Pens SCF, IMO.

It would be nice to see the NYR & Philly not make the playoffs!

Comment

• We'll see if Chicago can handle the pressure of being the overwhelming favorite and runaway President's trophy winner. Nobody besides the Red Wings has had that kind of pressure on them since the 1980s. We've seen numerous times how they have failed to live up to it.

Comment

• Red Wings put an end Anaheim's nonsense tonight 5-1 behind a hat-trick from Abdelkader and some nice goaltending from Howard. At least half the crowd went home happy from the Pond tonight. Rematch on Sunday.
                            Last edited by Mike; March 23, 2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Nice. Based on what I saw against the Nucks last week, Abdicator hat trick probably means Pavel bounced at least a couple in off him?

Comment

• Mike, was Perry in the lineup? Nice thumping!

GM Meetings, Sochi discussion 2014.

There’s no word yet on Canada’s coaching staff, although, as Bob McKenzie noted, Detroit’s Mike Babcock is expected to be named once the official Olympic commitment is made. Look for Ken Hitchcock, Joel Quenneville, Claude Julien and Paul MacLean to be in the mix for assistant spots.

After yesterday’s meetings, McKenzie suggested that Team USA was looking for a current NHL GM to guide the squad to Sochi, which would, presumably, preclude Brian Burke from retaining the position. Is it possible the Americans would walk away from the man who built a team that got within goal of gold? Sure it is, although I’m not sure I buy the read. If they do go in a different direction — say, Nashville’s David Poile — it would be due more to an appreciation of his expertise and years of service to the organization than his employment status.

Whoever gets the gig will face tougher roster decisions than any previous U.S. GM with players like Blake Wheeler, Brandon Saad and Nick Leddy working themselves into what’s become a very crowded pool of talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X