No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not the only one who has noted the guys missing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
      +1 for anyone who clicked on OP's link!
      I sure as hell did! LOL

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by DennisT View Post
          I just read that the Leafs haven't even been to the finals since '67.

Who do they think they are, the Lions?
          Ha! The Lions have a 10-year head start on the Maple Leafs!

Comment

• Wings fans were lucky when we used to be able to listen to Strader, and Redmond all those years.
            Yes we were, I guess Strader wanted to go national at the time, he left the Wings for ESPN. It must have been 1996 b/c I remember they let him in the both as the Wings were celebrating wining the Cup (Bruce Martin also was let to do some play by play)

Turned out to be a bad decision as he ended up calling Florida Panther games. I think hes still calling Phoenix Coyotes games now along with NBC.

Comment

• Yeah.....he probably regrets going to a business that almsot completely ignores hockey now....except for rare Barry Melrose sightings.

Comment

• Now, wipe the Crosby jizz off your shirt.
                He licked it off
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                  Dave Strader called that Toronto game, he still one of the best.
                  Hellz yeah. And to think ESPN had him lower on the scale than Steve Levy.

Comment

• They guy the Wings hired to follow Dave Strader was horrible. I felt bad for Strader that we finally won the Cup the first season after he left. At least the Wings broomed that bum after one year and hired Ken Daniels. He and Redmond are my favorite broadcast team in any sport.

Comment

• In Detroit, we have been lucky with great announcers, and the crappy ones are almost always sent packing quickly. Shitty expansion markets put up with boring play-by-play guys and worthless and annoying color commentators, but the old school markets in the Midwest and Northeast typically don't. A shitty squeak toy like Darren Pang would be run out of a place like Detroit immediately. Mickey Redmond is a tell-it-like-it-is homer, the likes of which we will probably never seen again when he is gone though.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; May 14, 2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• It's a shame the Wings poached Mickey from HNIC.

Bob Cole of HNIC is simply the best in business, damn he's 79 years old too. Not as old as Madootra mind you.
                        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I grew up with Mickey and Dave on channel 50 in Detroit and Harry Neale and Bob Cole on CBC, channel 9, out of Windsor. I consider myself lucky.

Comment

• Bob Cole is the Keith Jackson of hockey. Unfortunately, like Keith, his time came and went.

Comment

• Harry Neale was always a joke out West. He coached Vancouver for 4 seasons and always used to say on Air, "That's another high hard one" which used to bust us up.

Interesting fact: In 1966, he replaced Glen Sonmor at Ohio State University. While at Ohio State, he was a physical fitness trainer for the Ohio State football team. He coached the Buckeyes for four seasons compiling a 49-48-3 record. He left Ohio State to coach junior hockey in Hamilton.
                              Last edited by Optimus Prime; May 14, 2013, 12:57 PM.
                              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I loved Harry Neale with Bob Cole. Neither of the guys that replaced them are quite as interesting to listen to.

Comment

Working...
                                X