No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reshaping the Windsor Spitfires continued with Friday’s free-agent signing of Michigan’s Mr. Hockey, 16-year-old Ben Johnson.
    The native of Calumet, Mich., was introduced at a WFCU Centre press conference Friday.
    “Fans will be excited with the speed and tenacity he’ll bring to the lineup,” said Warren Rychel, the club’s vice-president and general manager. “He fits in with a Kenny Ryan work ethic.”

Ben had offers from Michigan, Michigan Tech and a few other universities. Spits came up short this year after winning back to back Memorial Cups, but farther than most people expected considering the age of that team. Another good addition to this club.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Windsor Star offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Comment

• Saskatoon native, "BoogeyMan" Derek Boogaard, 6' - 7", 260 lb One of the most feared fighters in the league found dead in his apartment, age 28. Wow, tragic although a league enforcer he was active in his community and well-liked. Little details are known at this time.

Rangers' Boogaard dead at 28

I guess next to Detroit's Kronwall, Boogaard was the most feared fighter in the post-lockout NHL.
      Last edited by Optimus Prime; May 14, 2011, 06:57 AM.
      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Man, lots of young athletes dying recently. Sad stuff.

Comment

• Way too early but you simply don't die at 28?

Suggests to me :

1.) Suicide
          2.) Brain damage (concussion problems)
          3.) Steroids
          4.) Heart attack
          or
          5.) Bad luck.
          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Barry Melrose picks Vancouver and Boston with Vancouver winning it all.

Comment

• So that means Lightning vs Sharks in the finals for sure, right?

Comment

• Correct. I have a feeling it's finally the Sharks' year. They're simply bigger, stronger, faster than everyone else.

Comment

• I don't know, I think Chicago taking Van to 7 games tested their mettle. Luongo is finally playing well, Livonia's Kesler is on fire, although Hank Sedin is banged up and easily pushed off the puck. When they know you are injured, they come after you.

Vancouver finished first out West 12 points ahead of SJ and beat them 3-1 in the regular season, only loss, 2-1 SO, home ice is a huge bump, plus six days rest can't hurt either while Detroit & SJ beat the crap out of each other. Sharks are a dismal 2-8 record in 10 all-time conference finals games.

If Luongo was going to choke as usual, it would of happened already against Chicago or Nashville, he should be good to go.

OP tip of the week -Vancouver.

Last edited by Optimus Prime; May 15, 2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• I might have agreed with you but there is no way Melrose can be right!

Comment

• I still can't figure out how Melrose lost with Gretzky still in his prime in LA?!? 1994 Cup was theirs?!? I have to agree, he's an annoying hillbilly from Saskatchewan.
                      Last edited by Optimus Prime; May 15, 2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Boogaard's brain has been donated for concussion damage study in Boston. He had been complaining of concussion and shoulder problems and missed 52 games with the Rangers this season.

Mike Russo reported yesterday that Derek’s family plans on donating his brain for research to the esteemed Boston University. Boston University researchers are part of a group of researchers collaborating information on a condition known as Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy also known as CTE. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a condition that is believed to develop from traumatic brain injuries that are repetitive in nature usually as a result of multiple concussions or repetitive hits to the head such as in boxing.

Comment

• Huge gag by Luongo. Thornton puts it in the empty net. 1-0 SJ.

Comment

• Big 3rd period for the Cannucks as they win 3-2.

Comment

• Luongo has to go up the boards with that and risk that it stays in play, forces Thornton to his backhand to make a play. Up the middle on his stick is insane, perhaps he didn't see him?

Comment

• for some reason I found myself pulling for the Cannucks
                                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X