No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Cherry has taken a lot of shit for it over the years, but there is some basis in reality for his anti-European attitudes. Specifically, with regard to how unreliable they are in the playoffs. I have gotten to the point where my default expectation for a European player is for him to completely disappear in the playoffs. Guys like Yashin, Pussa, the Sedin Sisters, Nyquist, etc. Some guys like Zetterberg (until now), Forsberg, Lidstrom, and Malkin have been exceptions to the rule. And some guys like Datsyuk and Fedorov eventually get it. But more often than not, it's the Northamerican guys like Teows, St. Louis, Shanahan, Crosby, Yzerman, Hull, Kariya, Sakic, Lemeiux, and Gretzky who pop right out of the oven and perform in the playoffs just like they do in the regular season. The European guys almost always need a bunch of seasoning, and some of them never reach a high level.
    Last edited by Hannibal; April 28, 2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Fedorov got it in the playoffs right away. The majority of his career with the Wings he led the team in scoring in the playoffs. He also led the team in criticism for not doing more.

Comment

• Fedorov wasn't the worst offender but his goal scoring crated in his first seven post seasons. Most of his points came from assists. He disappeared during that shitfest where they lost to San Jose, scoring only one goal in that series after scoring 56 in the regular season. He only had 19 goals in his first 68 playoff games but then he scored 18 goals the 42 playoff games where they won back-to-back Stanley Cups, which is especially impressive when you consider that those two years were during the early dead puck era and his more disappointing years came when offense was much more prevalent. The light bulb finally came on for him in that '97 run, where he had four game winners. His body language and intensity were noticably different that year. I'd argue that was the biggest factor in that win -- moreso than acquiring Shanahan or Vernon. I thought that he should have gotten the Conn Smythe.

Comment

• He always showed up defensively, the majority of the time he was shadowing the top player. People would talk about how good he was defensively but ignored it come playoffs and totally focused on him offensively.

Comment

• That's because scoring is ultimately what matters. You don't give Hart or Conn Smythe trophies or $7 million/year salaries to forwards who can't score. And if you are one of those guys, you aren't doing your job if you are only getting praised for your defense. Forwards who can play defense but can't score are a dime-a-dozen, which is why they are undrafted free agents who usually make close to the league minimum.
            Last edited by Hannibal; April 28, 2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Kronwall suspended for Game 7. The NHL just dares you to like their league.

Comment

• Take a look at this.

Ondrej Palat leaves his feet and makes direct contact hit on Luke Glendening head also in Game 6, one that went uncalled by the officials on the ice and no review by the NHL. Yeah and us Red Wing fans shoulnt complain?

[ame]https://youtu.be/2EkuSzlZ3Po[/ame]

Comment

• It's a goddamned joke.

Comment

• Bettman is my hero. The NHL is perfect under his reign. Should he ever retire, maybe Brandon can replace him.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Wow Tampa Bay almost scores on a play 3 feet off side! Mickey Redmond for real losing his temper at the officials. No score after one.

Comment

• Thanks for the update. I'm stuck in a Knoxville hotel this evening and the cable provider doesn't carry the game. Even the bar has some stupid basketball game on.
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Im in Memphis this evening Jon, arrived from New Orleans this am.

Download The Score mobile to your phone, track the game in detail, I use it often when I travel.
                          "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Thanks!!

Comment

• The Red Wings dominating after 2, but still no score

Comment

• Tampa's fans are so fucking lame and clueless.

Comment

Working...
                                X