Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanni, why the shot glass 1/2 empty?

The series has been fantastic, Now Ovie pulls a Messier, guaranteeing victory in game 7 in Manhattan?

Lundqvist is 13-3 in elimination games, strongly advise dumping your purse on the Blueshirts.
    Last edited by Prime2; May 11, 2015, 12:31 PM.
    "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Can't wait for Game 7 tomorrow in NYC, couldn't resist had to snag a few tickets, it will be a battle.

NHL scoring down 0.019 goals a game, not sure how you meaningfully quantify that?

Interesting suggestion, removal of the redline may be the culprit and had unintended consequences. Chip-and-chase....

“There some people in hockey — be it general managers or coaches — that want to put the red line back in not so much for the slowing down of the game, but because they don't like the way the players post up at the far blue line. Hard pass from behind the net all the way up, the guy just tips it in, and the other players are coming in hard on the forecheck." Bob McKenzie

So armed with all of this, the NHL is probably do what the NHL does and overact to a trend. According to Damien Cox, that could include revisiting the rule that was designed to open up offense and kill the trap, but apparently has done neither.
      Last edited by Prime2; May 12, 2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Dumb.

I never thought that the red line made that much of a difference. As long as the NHL continues to reward defensive strategy, you can make all of the little spacing and line tweaks you want and it won't be noticable. How much of a difference did the slightly smaller nets make this year? Jack shit. The changes have to be drastic enough that teams become willing to base their strategy around offense. What was everyone talking about in the wake of Game 6 of Caps vs Rangers? It's how both teams need to get back to responsible defensive hockey. Meanwhile, what do you think the fans would want to see? Would you rather see Game 7 be like Game 6 or would you rather see a 3-1 grindfest where one of the goals is an empty-netter? There's no reason why games like 6 couldn't be the norm instead of the crazy outlier that only comes around once a series. But the NHL hasn't done anything to that effect largely because Gary Bettman is a piece of shit.

So enjoy Connor Macdavid's thrilling 80-point seasons, because that's all you're getting.
        Last edited by Hannibal; May 12, 2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• 1. Make the goalie pads smaller Look at what goalies were wearing in 1985 and tell me why we can't have that again. Make the net a few inches wider while you're at it. Goaltending is really fucking boring now. It's all about simply squaring yourself to the shooter and passively taking up space. Bring back the stand-up goaltenders making kick saves.
          2. Eliminate the goaltenders playing the puck behind the net.
          3. Reverse the rules for a hand pass in the offensive zone so that the offense can but the defense can't.
          4. Make the blue line thicker so that the offense can stay on-side easier
          5. START CALLING INTERFERENCE AND OBSTRUCTION AGAIN. Why did they stop doing this?

Comment

• You sir are the NHL's next commissioner.

Comment

• Anyone who argues for bringing back the two-line pass needs to be slapped in public. View exhibit A from Patrick Kane. Probably my favorite goal of these playoffs so far.

Last edited by Mike; May 12, 2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Its almost impossible to get rid of the defensive stances of these teams. Most teams want it that way. We were spoiled by the games in the 80's, they didn't play defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Anyone who argues for bringing back the two-line pass needs to be slapped in public. View exhibit A from Patrick Kane. Probably my favorite goal of these playoffs so far.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...14030232-525-h
                  Sweet goal, spring pass to one of the fastest guys in the League in a runaway series.

But, Exhibit B:

The Rangers had three of their best defensive players in position. It was 1-on-2 with Henrik Lundqvist waiting in net.

It didn’t matter.

Series now tied 3-3.

[youtube]h1EPQOli_2w[/youtube]
                  Last edited by Prime2; May 12, 2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• That Ovie goal is an all-timer.

Comment

• USA beat Slovakia 5-4 in OT to win Pool B at the Worlds and open against Switzerland in the QTRs in the playoffs. Canada beat the Pesky Austrians 10-1 to win Pool A and open against mighty Belarus.

Sweden and Russia had dropped a few in round-robin play and as a result now face each other in the QTRs.
                      Medal Round:

Canada v. Belarus
                      USA v. Switzerland
                      Sweden v. Russia
                      Czech Rep. V. Finland

NBC is carrying the US games, the match starts on Thursday 9:15 am ET.

Comment

• Thanks for the update. Enjoy the game tonight. I'm rooting for the Rangers.

Comment

• Habs v. Bolts tonight game 6, Rangers v. Caps game 7 actually goes on Wednesday.

Yes, I'm pulling for the Rangers too OT.

Comment

• Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Forgot they're taking two days off. What do they think this is, the NBA?

I'd like to see a Rangers-Blackhawks final. So get ready for Lightning-Ducks.
                            Last edited by Mike; May 12, 2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• The Ducks are the only interesting team left.

Comment

• Chicago is, too. That should be a fun series. Lots of firepower and Crawford is average enough to provide for additional goals.

Comment

Working...
                                X