No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's what they get for being Buffalo.

Comment

• Babcock to TO is a huge boon.

Don’t think the Leafs made Babcock an offer he couldn’t refuse. He absolutely could have refused it - the money, the challenge, the pressure, the hassle of TO - and still set a record for coaching salaries and had a better chance to win. He played the market and used all his leverage. He chose to accept the offer and everything that came with it. People will doubt him. He might have some doubt himself. But this is a chance to push to the edge. While we can argue whether it’s a stupid risk or a calculated one, it’s the kind that will activate him. His goal will be to push himself beyond the limits of where he is to the next level, to where he wants to be. And he wants to be the best.

Once upon a time, Babcock was not a hot-shot free agent. From Mike's book:

In 1993, he was fired by the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League. He and his wife had a three-month-old at home. They had no money and few prospects. They started looking for teaching jobs. Nothing came of it. He ended up accepting a business consulting job – and then got an offer to coach at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta. The team had never made the playoffs and was in danger of folding. He took the coaching job and won a championship, and the rest is history.

“The consulting job offered a lot more money, greater stability and a clearer career path,” Babcock wrote in his book. “Ultimately, I chose to take a risk.”

The greater the risk, the greater the reward.

That’s why Babcock is where he is today.
      Last edited by Prime2; May 21, 2015, 12:05 PM.
      "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Rangers blow a 2 goal lead as Lundqvist gives up back-to-back 6 goal playoff losses?!?

Martin St. Louis, WTFAY? Looks like Yzerman won that trade too!

Comment

• Some really exciting NHL playoff hockey, I was really pissed off at that loser Ryan Getzlaf Tuesday night. Ducks need to rebound in Chicago tonight, in spite of Getzlaf disappearing when they need him most.

Comment

• I hate Getzlaf so anything bad that happens to him is a good thing. Tampa is certainly fun to watch. The Wings did a good job bottling them up except for two games. Montreal and NY have no answer.

Comment

• Packfan, you're taking this news rather well, thought you'd go off like a Roman Candle.

Get your Buds jersey yet?

Comment

• The Wings did the right thing allowing him to leave.

It wouldn't have been worth 50 Mil plus to keep him. I mean, .. somebody tell me how many times the Red Wings hoisted Stanley under his tenure?

For the Maple Leafs to pay a guy that much, who has never won the Cup, ... I gotta wonder what they're thinking. He ain't THAT good ...
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• How many did did the Leafs win without him. I get ragging on the last few year of struggle in the playoffs, but he did win us one, and a Stuart brainfart of winning another. He has been a great coach for us. Could another coach have done better? Maybe but I don't have the foggiest idea whom that would be.

Its easy now because we have wanted better out of the team for awhile and with him leaving he is an easy scapegoat. But let's not belittle his production here. Also remember the grass is always greener. Hopefully we won't be wishing we managed to keep him here in a year or two.
                  AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Psst, Mike Babcock has won a Cup.

Comment

• I'm not belittling his production in Detroit. He's been a fine coach, but he's never hoisted Stanley, and I don't think he's even gotten Detroit to the Finals.

My point is, I think its a wise move on Ken Holland and Mike Ilitch's part to not cough up 50-60 million dollars to keep him. That money can be spent in better ways, perhaps in shoring up areas of need on the team.

I wish him well except for when he goes up against the Red Wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        Psst, Mike Babcock has won a Cup.
                        But with the Red Wings?

Point is, would the Red Wings have been closer to winning the Cup again had they kept Babcock? Would it have been worth the 50+ million dollars they'd have to spend to keep him?

I say no. Use the money elsewhere.

They say this guy Blashill is a pretty decent up and coming coach. Maybe he's earned his shot in Detroit.

Comment

• Mike Babcock is accomplished - with the Stanley Cup in 2008 Detroit, two Olympic gold medals (World Championships) , Memorial Cup, World Jr. Gold, World Championship Gold and a tie for ninth in playoff wins with Toe Blake, despite only 12 years in the league - Babcock feels he has something to prove to the hockey world.

When he took the Wings job they were a good team and still are when he left.

Head-to-head most feared guy in League, knock .....never built a team always was surrounded by very good players. Toronto doesn't even have a new GM, Shanahan is gonna need all the help he can get.
                          Last edited by Prime2; May 21, 2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Liney, we won the Cup in 2008 and blew a 2-0 and 3-2 series lead to win it again in 2009.

I think Babcock is the best coach in hockey but he's not irreplaceable. I think Blashill will be a fine replacement as the team is getting younger and he coached most of the youth movement in Grand Rapids where he's been very successful. The Griffins won the Calder Cup two years ago and they always seem to be in the running - conference finals again this season.

Again, the Leafs basically had to buy his love. Quenville is the highest paid coach in the league this season at $2.75 mil and Babcock made $2 mil. His new deal will average $6.25 mil per season. This is like someone offering Nick Saban $18 mil/year to coach their football team. Hell, he'd coach Washington State for that.

Comment

• Packfan, you're taking this news rather well, thought you'd go off like a Roman Candle.
                              No way Prime2, posted this up there in the Lions part.

10 years and 1 Stanley Cup - knocked out of the first round 3 of the last 4 years and I believe 4 of the last 6. Haven't got past the second round since 2008. Canada has a hard on for Babcock because of the gold medals (which anybody breathing could have coached those team to win). I sincerely would have been shocked if he didn't go to Toronto, foregone conclusion if you ask me I don't care what anybody says. Good riddance!

Holland doubled Blashill salary this year, only if he agreed not to talk to any NHL teams. It's only a formality now after the Griffins season is over he will be hired as Red Wings HC. Only question now is can Ken Holland grow back a pair or still be neutered? (and offering stupid long term contracts)

Comment

• To get free agents you have to offer stupid long term contracts. That's the environment.

Comment

Working...
                                X