No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond ridiculous, return the Winter Olympics back to the amateurs.

We don’t know yet whether the NHL and NHLPA will send its players to the 2018 Olympics in PyeongChang, Korea, but we now know where nine of the 12 countries participating in the tournament will be grouped.

Group A: Canada, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Korea

Group B: Russia, USA, Slovakia, Qualifer 3

Group C: Sweden, Finland, Qualifier 1, Qualifier 2

Sorry, Korea.

The groups are based on the post-World Championship IIHF rankings, which feature Canada, Russia and Sweden as the top three nations. The final three qualifiers will be determined over three stages of qualification beginning in November.

After talk that they might need to go through qualification, Korea was granted automatic entry despite their No. 23 ranking. Pressure by the IIHF to improve the program was followed by a $20 million investment promise into development by the Korea Ice Hockey Association. They also hired former NHLer Jim Paek as head coach, showing that they were serious about improving.

IIHF president said during Worlds press conference in Prague that the NHL/PA has until Sept. 2016 to decide if they will send players. That deadline also coincides with the start of the revamped World Cup of Hockey.

- - - - - - -
    "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Howard for 5 years ? Please, ,,and Cherry Picking mullet scores for the Blackhawks 1-1

Comment

• Getzlaf answered his critics tonight with assists on both Anaheim goals.

Tough as nails, never find this grit in the NBA , MLB or even the PBA.

Next shift.
        Last edited by Prime2; May 21, 2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Thank you gentlemen. I stand corrected.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I don't disagree with your point. I'm not sure anyone outside of Doug Karsch wanted them to match it.

Comment

• It was a mutual parting of ways. It pretty much had to end up this way.

Comment

• That's just the way I like to see Getzlaf. It makes it more difficult for him to bitch and moan after every whistle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  It was a mutual parting of ways. It pretty much had to end up this way.
                  This was an extremely rare occurrence where I think everyone walks away happy. Unless a coach retires, he gets fired at some point 99% of the time. I don't ever recall a convergence of circumstances where an NHL coach was perhaps the most coveted free agent of the off-season at the same time a deep-pocketed team was desperate for legitmacy and if the coach didn't want to accept any offers from another club, he could stay with one of the best franchises in pro sports. There really was no way Babcock could lose and Holland and the Wings handled the whole thing with their customary class. Best wishes to Mike Babcock and thank you for 10 good years. Here's to the next phase of Red Wing hockey. Jeff Blashill come on down!

Comment

• LOL,.....and they all lived happily ever after. The End

Babcock wanted Detroit to show him the money, instead, Holland showed him his ass so Shanahan gladly took him to the Prom.

I like what the Oil just did, wiped away a decade of incompetence in one fell swoop.

1. Fired everyone.

2. Hired Bob Nicholson, CEO Hockey Canada guru that built many World Champion Monsters.

3. Hired Peter Chiarelli,who built the dominate Boston Cup winning & powerhouse machine. He and Yzerman built a couple of Team Canada Olympic Gold Medals, considered one of the sharpest minds in hockey.

4. Hired coach Todd McLellan, 3M a year over 5 years, top 3 coach in the NHL.

5. Draft #1 overall Connor McDavid this June doesn't hurt either....even Gretzky thinks he may be the next Gretzky!

Winnipeg Jets star Dale Hawerchuk who now coaches the Barrie Colts in the OHL says McDavid sees the ice like Gretzky, handles the puck like Lemieux and skates like Orr.

One 18-year old kid can do all that.
                    Last edited by Prime2; May 22, 2015, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• After 10 years with one coach a change is often needed just to freshen things up. The team is going through a rebuilding process. Might as well do it with a new coach.

Comment

• Your Edmonton example also works for Michigan. Once Mary Sue retired, the presidency was upgraded to Schlissel, who in turn whacked Brandon and hired Hackett, who in turn whacked Hoke and hired Harbaugh. A tremendous upgrade at all 3 key positions. Makes ya feel good.

Comment

• I can't wait to see Connor MacDavid score 75 points against Left Wing Lock and Neutral Zone Trap!

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime2 View Post
                            LOL,.....and they all lived happily ever after. The End

Babcock wanted Detroit to show him the money, instead, Holland showed him his ass so Shanahan gladly took him to the Prom.

I like what the Oil just did, wiped away a decade of incompetence in one fell swoop.

1. Fired everyone.

2. Hired Bob Nicholson, CEO Hockey Canada guru that built many World Champion Monsters.

3. Hired Peter Chiarelli,who built the dominate Boston Cup winning & powerhouse machine. He and Yzerman built a couple of Team Canada Olympic Gold Medals, considered one of the sharpest minds in hockey.

4. Hired coach Todd McLellan, 3M a year over 5 years, top 3 coach in the NHL.

5. Draft #1 overall Connor McDavid this June doesn't hurt either....even Gretzky thinks he may be the next Gretzky!

Winnipeg Jets star Dale Hawerchuk who now coaches the Barrie Colts in the OHL says McDavid sees the ice like Gretzky, handles the puck like Lemieux and skates like Orr.

One 18-year old kid can do all that.
                            The Oilers still won't be able to win. True maybe this is the first Gretzky/Crosby/Yzerman type #1 they have had. But they have had the I think the last 4 #1 picks. It's hard to believe just one more #1 is going to get them over the hump. Now firing everyone else in charge was a smart move. But on McDavid is going to be joining a team that has been complicit in their suckyness.

Edit: Sorry 4th time in last 6 years. With them having a top 10 pick in every season going back to 09.
                            Last edited by Topweasel; May 22, 2015, 04:03 PM.
                            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Your Edmonton example also works for Michigan. Once Mary Sue retired, the presidency was upgraded to Schlissel, who in turn whacked Brandon and hired Hackett, who in turn whacked Hoke and hired Harbaugh. A tremendous upgrade at all 3 key positions. Makes ya feel good.
                              I agree Mike and any of the other 29 coaches in the NHL, lucky enough to be in Babcock's shoes would of jumped at the cash too! Frankly Babcock should have a little greater playoff success but still two Cup finals in 10 years, most coaches never see that success ever.

This one is for you Packy, Probie the most feared man in hockey!

Comment

• Nice farewell from Babcock to Detroit media and fans:

Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said Friday what led him to leave the Detroit Red Wings after 10 seasons as coach was the need for a new challenge.

Last edited by Mike; May 23, 2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X