No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Wings picked up Vanek for one year for $2.6 Million (!)

Comment

• He's a left winger. Does he shoot right or left handed?
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Oddly he shoots right but plays Left Wing.

90% of the world is right-handed but hockey players typically shoot and play the wing or D that is natural. However, some NHLers are ambidextrous when it comes to left or right, Gordie Howe could shoot equally well, either hand and would switch during the game. LOL

For example, I am left-handed, shoot left and play left wing, typically.

The Soviet Union, regarded as the greatest team ever assembled (Not because they were better man-for-man but played a team game as a single unit for years). Our NHLers usually were all-star teams assembled for a brief period.

1984 Canada Cup Team Soviet Union- entire team shot left!

(including KLM Line- Sergei Makarov, Igor Larionov and Vladimir Krutov) which struck fear with anyone that ever played the game.

Last edited by Prime2; July 8, 2016, 06:07 AM.
        "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Red Army Officers "Amateurs" , paid by the Soviet state, to play 50 weeks a year together as a single team.

All officers, they even trained in Eastern Time zone for months back in the Soviet Union while preparing for tournaments in North America.

[IMG][/IMG]
          Last edited by Prime2; July 8, 2016, 06:09 AM.

Comment

• I remember when I was a kid that I had Gretzky's 2nd full season O-Pee-Chee hockey card.

Thought it was golden at the time.

Gretzky's rookie card sold for $465,000.00 .

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/107...or-record-465k

Comment

• The"Next One" stands with the "Great One".

McDavid missed almost 1/2 of the regular rookie season with a broken clavicle. Vicious and illegal hit, double-team by Flyers D. Finished the season with 48 respectable points, had he been healthy, would have contended for the NHL scoring title.

That's 1.06 points per game, only Sidney Crosby scored more and at a greater rate over that time span.

Already at 18 years of age, many NHL adversaries say he is the fastest skating player in the League with the puck.

Last edited by Prime2; August 7, 2016, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• Sidney Crosby turned 29 years old today. Without a doubt, the greatest talent to hit the NHL in a decade, hard to believe he's been in the League for 11 years.

The older Sidney Crosby gets, the older you get. It's math. Or science. Both, maybe. The Pittsburgh Penguins superstar turned 29 on Sunday. Seriously. Now only a year shy of 30, there's no better time to reflect on what has so far been a storybook career. Here are 29 random thoughts and observations on No. 87 on his 29th birthday:1. No one is allowed to call him "Sid the Kid" anymore. It's over. He's a man. Accept it.2. Not only was Crosby born in 1987, he was born on Aug. 7. So, yeah, 08/07/1987. Symmetry.3. Have you ever met a hockey fan who said, "I don't like Sidney Crosby"? Sorry, but Philadelphia Flyers fans don't count. Let's face it, he's mostly perfect.4. Sports and fandom are irrational, so I suppose not everyone has to like Crosby. But this is for sure: you have to respect him.5. Crosby's birthday, during the quietest days of the offseason, is the perfect time to sit down quietly and look at the back of his hockey card (or visit his Hockey Reference page). And it's something, yeah. The 2015-16 season was his 11th in the NHL, somehow. They were right: the children do grow up so fast. Crosby's played in over 70 games in seven of those seasons, recording 100-or-more points in five of them.6. It's easy to forget, because it was so long ago, but Crosby had 220 points in his first 160 games in the NHL, as an 18- and 19-year-old. Ridiculous.7. It's crazy how dominant Crosby was before his concussion on New Year's Day at the 2011 Winter Classic. He played only one more game that season (2010-11), and finished with 32 goals and 34 assists in 41 games. His 0.78 goals per game and 1.61 points per game remain the highest marks of his career when playing at least 40 games.8. Concussions limited Crosby to only 22 games the following season, but he averaged a remarkable 1.68 points per game. 9. Crosby's 1.06 points-per-game average last season was the lowest mark of his career. And yet, it may go down as his most memorable campaign, as he raised the Stanley Cup and won his first Conn Smythe Trophy.10. He's actually trending in the wrong direction when it comes to production: Season GP Points Per Game 2012-13* 36 1.56 2013-14 80 1.30 2014-15 77 1.09 2015-16 80 1.06 * Lockout-shortened season11. More importantly, though, Crosby's been healthy. Hockey needs him on the ice as the face of the sport, not the face of concussions.12. Crosby ranks fifth all time in points per game, and he's played in an era that can only be described as the opposite of those whose company he keeps: Rank Player Points Per Game 1 Wayne Gretzky 1.921 2 Mario Lemieux 1.883 3 Mike Bossy 1.497 4 Bobby Orr 1.393 5 Crosby 1.327 13. Crosby's 1.105 points-per-game mark in the playoffs (137 points in 124 games) ranks 12th all time. 14. That two of the greatest hockey players to ever take the ice have played exclusively for Pittsburgh is insane. Hopefully Penguins supporters realize how lucky they are.15. Think about how special Crosby is. Now, look at those points-per-game numbers above and think about how dominant Lemieux and Gretzky were. 16. Ask yourself: what hasn't Crosby won?17. The answer: the World Cup of Hockey. And that likely changes in about eight weeks.18. Crosby's remarkable track record is all the more jarring when it's written down: 2 Stanley Cups 1 Conn Smythe Trophy 2 Winter Olympics gold medals 1 Golden Goal (on home soil, no less) 2 Hart and Art Ross trophies 3 Ted Lindsay Awards 1 Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy World Junior gold and silver World Championship gold 19. One thing is for certain: Crosby will never win the Memorial Cup. What a failure. 20. Somehow, Crosby's played in only one All-Star Game, missing four due to injury. Yeah, as many as John Scott.21. Also remarkable is how controversy-free Crosby's career has been off the ice. He's a model citizen. He lived with Mario for five years, after all. 22. Crosby's 62 regular-season points away from 1,000. That'll happen in February or March 2017. Fun!23. Among active players, Crosby's points-per-game averages in the regular season and playoffs (1.327 and 1.105, as noted) are tops. His teammate Evgeni Malkin ranks second on both lists (1.180 and 1.040). 24. Crosby's earned slightly under $87.5 million - of course - in cash so far in his career, according to Spotrac. 25. If you're Canadian, watching this video will never, ever get old:26. It had to be Crosby. Who else could it possibly have been?27. Take a minute to think about the sky-high expectations placed on Crosby when he came into the league, when the Penguins were flirting with bankruptcy. It's so hard for kids to live up to the hype - because they're kids - but Crosby has delivered, and more.28. He's won everything, his name is twice on the Stanley Cup, but this is the lasting image of his career so far, because it has to be. 29. Thanks, Sid. Here's to the second act.

Whether it's 5-on-5 even strength, up a goal or down, on the PP or SH, Crosby is hands down the greatest player in the game today. In fact, over the last decade.

Over the last 8 or even 5 years, his numbers excel all others....less, Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy and Orr.

Get ready for the CANADA CUP/WORLD CUP in Toronto this fall!
                Last edited by Prime2; August 7, 2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Carl Hagelin, off-season, Fagland, Sweden.

WTF?

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime2 View Post
                    I remember when I was a kid that I had Gretzky's 2nd full season O-Pee-Chee hockey card.

Thought it was golden at the time.

Gretzky's rookie card sold for $465,000.00 .

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/107...or-record-465k
                    I had to look that up to make sure it wasn't bs. How is that possible?
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• O-Pee-Chee says they only printed under 4000 of the card that year.

Growing up in Canada, I am almost certain I had one of them.

When you were a kid you took your hockey cards to school and gambled. Risking only doubles and rookies, kids would flip the card towards the wall, closest would win all the cards risked in that round.

Hard to imagine Gretzky's rookie didn't surface at some point.
                      Last edited by Prime2; August 8, 2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• I saw one at a card show but i didn't know what it was nor could I have afforded it back then. 400k for a card is insane.
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Scored my tickets today, 4, for World Cup 2016, Team Canada v.s Team USA always a grudge match.

Exhibition.

Team USA vs Team Canada World Cup of Hockey Pre-Tournament Game
                          Nationwide Arena - Columbus, OH. September 9th.

All Tournament games will be played at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

Benn, Giroux, Seguin are all healthy ready to go, Canada will be unstoppable again as they were in Sochi. Cutting Putin's heart out on Russian soil, priceless.

Crosby, Toews, Benn & Getzlaf down the middle, no nation on earth can match that depth.

All games broadcast in the US on ESPN.
                          Preliminary Round (round-robin)

Saturday, Sept. 17

Team Europe vs. Team USA, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2

Team Canada vs. Team Czech Republic, 8 p.m., ESPNEWS

Sunday, Sept. 18

Team Russia vs. Team Sweden, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team Finland vs. Team North America, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Monday, Sept. 19

Team Czech Republic vs. Team Europe, 3 p.m., ESPN2

Team North America vs. Team Russia, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Tuesday, Sept. 20

Team Finland vs. Team Sweden, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team Canada vs. Team USA, 8 p.m., ESPN

Wednesday, Sept. 21

Team North America vs. Team Sweden, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team Canada vs. Team Europe, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Thursday, Sept. 22

Team Finland vs. Team Russia, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team Czech Republic vs. Team USA, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Semifinals (single elimination)

Saturday, Sept. 24

A1 vs. B2, 7 p.m., ESPN2

Sunday, Sept. 25

B1 vs. A2, 1 p.m., ESPN

Final (best-of-three)

Tuesday, Sept. 27

Final Game 1, 8 p.m., ESPN

Thursday, Sept. 29

Final Game 2, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Saturday, Oct. 1

Final Game 3, 7 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Alan Eagleson's genius Canada Cup survives, only true hockey nations, best-on-best Tournament, Final 3 game series.

We won't have to endure the likes of Slovakia, Slovenia, Norway, Austria, Switzerland and Latvia as we did in the Winter Olympics.

Best part, The NHL Owners and Players split all the revenue, screw Ren? Fasel, the IIHF & Olympic corrupt Committee.
                          Last edited by Prime2; August 8, 2016, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Keep an eye on Russia, KHL game suspended after a player goes berserk.

Equally alarming, look at all the players he challenges and they turtle like pussies. Probert would have kicked the shit out of both teams, single-handedly.

[youtube]dZb1q6GNnVY[/youtube]

This is the best Camera angle.
                            [youtube]xIbk5cmgLgA[/youtube]

Fight starts at about the 14:00 minute mark.
                            [youtube]jbWUsq2TrAU[/youtube]

A massive brawl resulted in a KHL exhibition game being called Monday.

Damir Ryspayev got things started with a cheap shot on Tomas Marcinko, and then proceeded to go after any player on HC Kunlan Red Star, a Chinese club that joined the KHL this season.

Ryspayev attacked players on the Kunlan bench, too, and the referees were completely unable to control the situation.

Marcinko was sent to hospital, according to Szymon Szemberg, managing director of the Alliance of European Hockey Clubs.

Ryspayev has spent his career playing in Kazakhstan and the KHL, and has one professional goal to his name. The KHL announced his suspension for the remainder of the preseason, according to Aivis Kalnins
                            Last edited by Prime2; August 8, 2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Well, it's official.

Team IKEA names Hank Zetterberg as team Captain.

This will be the 36-year-old's 13th international competition and second time playing in the World Cup.

I guess Hank will split the 36-year old Sedin Sisters, Daniel & Henrik on their premier line?

How do you say "Huffing & Puffing Line" in Swedish?

Perhaps the extra playing time will help his back and increase his 13 NHL goals production in 2016. At 6.1M in an NHL season, that's just under 1/2 a million per goal!

Sadly Gordie Howe passed, each Wing should have to pick up their paycheck from Gordie personally.
                              Last edited by Prime2; August 11, 2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• Roy quits abruptly without even talking to Joe Sack-itch lol

The Roy-to-Montreal rumor is officially a go, this would really cap off the tire fire going on over in le Club de hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X