No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's why I wish they still played Toronto regularly. Those were the big games when I was growing up.

Comment

• Great win last night in Vancouver; another SO. 6-0 this year in shootouts! I remember as recently as last year where I'd dread seeing the Wings in a SO; seemed to always lose those.
      Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Yeah, it's great that they are picking up those extra points in the shootout. I could never understand why they sucked so bad at them before with all the offensive firepower they had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
          Apparently Tm Brady and Sidney Crosby are chums. It appears "Terrific Tom" dispatched his surgeons to come to the aid of his friend. Is there no limit to the benevolence of Michigan men?

Probably no more significant an effort than Brady's dispatch of his barber to Justin Bieber (another Canadian wuss) some while back. Thankfully, he's got superbowl rings that allow him to transcent such mindless triviality.

Comment

• Sam Gagner scores 8 points tying Gretzky's record as an Oiler. Only 13 players to ever score 8 pts in a game.

Most points scored in an NHL regular-season game

10 [6 goals - 4 assists] Darryl Sittler, Toronto, vs. Boston, Feb. 7, 1976.
            8 [5-3] Maurice Richard, Montreal, vs. Detroit, Dec. 28, 1944.
            8 [4-4] Bert Olmstead, Montreal, vs. Chicago, Jan. 9, 1954.
            8 [4-4] Tom Bladon, Philadelphia, vs. Cleveland, Dec. 11, 1977.
            8 [5-3] Bryan Trottier, N.Y. Islanders, vs. N.Y. Rangers, Dec. 23, 1978.
            8 [4-4] Peter Stastny, Quebec, at Washington, Feb. 22, 1981.
            8 [3-5] Anton Stastny, Quebec, at Washington, Feb. 22, 1981.
            8 [3-5] Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton, vs. New Jersey, Nov. 19, 1983.
            8 [4-4] Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton, vs. Minnesota, Jan. 4, 1984.
            8 [2-6] Paul Coffey, Edmonton, vs. Detroit, March 14, 1986.
            8 [2-6] Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh, vs. St. Louis, Oct. 15, 1988.
            8 [2-6] Bernie Nicholls, Los Angeles, vs. Toronto, Dec. 1, 1988.
            8 [5-3] Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh, vs. New Jersey, Dec. 31, 1988.
            8 [4-4] Sam Gagner, Edmonton, vs. Chicago, Feb. 2, 2012.
            Last edited by Optimus Prime; February 4, 2012, 12:31 PM.
            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I've been hearing about Gordie Howe a bit lately. Here's a good read. Sorry to hear about the dementia but glad to hear the work he's doing and the support he has from his sons.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Gordie-Howe-s-dementia-fight-personal-and-public-2942375.php#page-1

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisT View Post
                I've been hearing about Gordie Howe a bit lately. Here's a good read. Sorry to hear about the dementia but glad to hear the work he's doing and the support he has from his sons.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Gordie-Howe-s-dementia-fight-personal-and-public-2942375.php#page-1
                I hope Mr. Hockey is OK, as the dementia reports are being disputed, in interviews with family.

IMHO, there's never been a better Hockey Player than Gordie. Nobody has ever been the complete package that he's been, they talk in baseball about 5-tool players, if there were an equivilant in hockey he'd be a 6-tool player (the 6th tool being his elbows!) , as there was absolutely no weak spot in his game anywhere on the ice.

Gordie, to put it better, stood out as a giant among men, as the "Babe Ruth" of Hockey!
                Last edited by Rob F; February 4, 2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Back when he was playing in the early days he was referred to as the "bashful basher". Apparently he spoke softly but carried a big stick. (thank you TR)

Comment

• ...Big elbows.....;-)

Comment

• Sharp too.

Comment

• I've met dozens of celebrities/sports figures, and the two who were absolutely the most wonderful, polite and genuine were Ernie Harwell and Gordie Howe. We've (Detroit sports fans) have been every lucky with the class exhibited by most of our sports heroes. Alan Trammel, Steve Yzerman, Alex Delvecchio, Charlie Sanders all come to mind for me.....

Comment

• Al Kaline
                          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• but not Jack Morris or Denny McLain

Comment

• I did say "most".......;-)

Comment

• Or Gibson; what a dick
                                Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

Working...
                                X