No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah Helm was the classic role player who brought his best game in the post season.

Better Helm than Franzen or Lidstrom, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      IMHO we should have gone after Webber this season.

The lack of a suspension is a joke. The NHL just sent a message that they don't care about headshots when the games actually count. if anything, the penalties in the post season should be stiffer, since it hurts to be out for 10 days in the playoffs a lot more than the regular season.

The victim being from Gary Bettman's least favorite team certainly didn't hurt matters any.

Ah I see Hanni, Czar Bettman started his reign in 1993, Kozlov and the Wings got away with Murder against Colorado in 1996 Playoffs...so the Wings were his former favorites? If anything, Canadians resent the short little prick for his clearly anti-Canadian agenda and for good reason. Notice how quiet he is after buying the Phoenix Coyotes with the NHL owners' money, now Glendale has demanded 20-30 M from the NHL to cover operation expenses.....Quebec City can't wait, much to the chagrin of Bettman, that obstinate midget.

I agree, we spoke of this last year about taking a run at Weber, I am certain many clubs did, he's probably asking 8-10 M a season, long-term. Wonder if Holland every had the conversation with Lidstrom?
      Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 13, 2012, 01:09 PM.
      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Bettman isn't just anti-Canadian. He is anti old school market, because he has been obsessed with repackaging the game for expansion markets since he took over and fucked up the sport. Detroit is the ultimate anti-Bettman market -- successful for a long time, small, poor economics, and old school. The only other team that gets fucked over as often as Detroit is Buffalo. Same basic dynamics at play (sans the 4 recent Cups)

I do believe that Detroit was on the "favored" list until 1997, because their popular captain and their 42 year Cupless drought made them a sentimental favorite. Now they are almost entirely European-dominated, smaller, poorer, and no longer looking to break a long Cup drought. Of all of the teams in the playoffs this year, none would be worse to win the Cup than Detroit. Second worst -- maybe New Jersey or Boston. Wet dream for Bettman -- Florida or Nashville.

I'm probably the only Red Wings fan in existence who wanted the Wings to go after Weber instead of keeping Lidstrom. Worked out okay for both teams and Lidstrom had a very good year, but the Wings left salary cap on the table and I think it's hurting them. If we end up trading out Lidstrom for Weber, that probably eats up $1.5-$2.0 Million of space. The collection of Weber, Kronwall, Stuart, and White makes up an excellent top 4 if we can keep Stuart, which I think we could probably do without a significant pay raise. I'm guessing we won't re-sign Quincey, which leaves some dough for another top 6 forward, which we need.

Comment

• I agree but unless Lidstrom can be talked in to returning another year, he is retiring and heading back to Sweden, the Wings got an excellent year from him but that's likely it.

Quebec City, Seattle & Kansas City (2nd time around) are logical relocation destinations when the "new perspective" buyers of the Phoenix Yotes demand to relocate.

Game #2 Wings v. Predators is gonna be a barn burner!
          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
            Quebec City can't wait, much to the chagrin of Bettman, that obstinate midget.
            It was absolutely hysterical to see hundreds of Nordique fans occupying the upper rows of the Joe last Saturday. Season finale, Original Six matchup, National TV broadcast- yet all of these 1970's "Igloo with stick" jerseys making a bunch of noise in the rafters. Must have driven Bettman batty.

Comment

• Great start for the Wings tonight. Picking up where they left off in Game 1 except now the puck is going in. 2-0 late first. Bertuzzi got things going by fighting Weber right off the bat then the Wings held on for dear life as Nashville narrowly missed several great chances.

Comment

• Now that's what I am talkin' 'bout! Stay out of box, don't give Graceland a powerplay.

Comment

• Another crazy game in Pittsburgh. Philly was down 3-1 and tied it with two short-handed goals. The Pens then scored 6 seconds later to take a 4-3 lead. Still in the second.

Comment

• Giroux is money!

Comment

• Those teams matching up in the first round is crazy. They're probably 2 of the top 5 teams in the NHL right now. Pittsburgh is the odds on favorite to win the Cup and their toughest series very well could be the first one.

Comment

• And the Flyers tie it with 3 seconds left in the 2nd period. Knotted at 4, headed to the 3rd. Sucks that this series is exactly opposite Detroit - Trashville.

Comment

• Pens defenders must stop trying to do Fluery's job and simply clear the puck. Otherwise this series is over.

Comment

• Make it 5-5 after 1:21 of the 3rd. It's getting a little ridiculous now!

Comment

• Neither team plays D, Boston will enjoy either team.

Comment

• New York will host the winner of this series. Ottawa is garbage. That said, it may be 5-5 and very exciting and all but it's 5-5 because of some really bad hockey at times.

Comment

Working...
                                X