No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a OT, non stop scoring chances as the Blackhawks win. NBC dropping the ball showing Hossa skating into the bench? - Next shot is wide open Bryan Bickell in front of Smith, and the goal.

All road teams won tonight

Comment

• Nasty game in NY, interesting to see what penalty's Shanahan Gary Bettman will hand down.

Matt Carkner didn't play in Game 1 for the Ottawa Senators. When he was put in the lineup for Saturday's Game 2 against the New York Rangers, he knew his job was to make Brian Boyle answer for a few questionable hits that went unanswered in Game 1.

Just 2:15 into the game, Carkner made a bee line across the ice to Boyle.

Comment

• Somebody has to get a "third man in" penalty, don't they?
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• and they did. The reaction is good

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94r8eauXqkU"]Matt Carkner vs Brian Boyle Apr 14, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by Tony G; April 15, 2012, 06:25 AM.
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• That Ottawa/NY series is looking really good so far. That one and the Pittsburgh/Philly series have been the best.

Looks like we might be getting some big upsets here in round 1. We haven't had one of those wacky upset-filled years in a while.

Comment

• Ahead of the pending firestorm later today , FWIW I thought it would of benefit to include Kerry Frazer's review and explanation of Weber retaliation on Zetterberg. Frazer refereed over 1900 NHL games as well as 260 playoff games and is respected and considered an authority.

Excerpt: Globe & Mail

There were several decisions that I made on the ice during my 30 year NHL officiating career that, upon reflection I wish I had handled differently. The decision not to suspend Shea Weber for the next game in the playoffs versus imposing the maximum allowable fine of $2,500 under the NHL-NHLPA agreement is one that perhaps both Brendan Shanahan and I would like to reverse. As I said many times when I clicked on the microphone at ice level, "Upon Further Review..."

Whenever I judged an illegal act on the ice I attempted to properly quantify the severity of force exerted on an opponent and the resulting effect. Based on the varying degree of violence of the act and my perception of the players intent I could impose a minor, major (plus game misconduct where injury resulted) or a match penalty for a deliberate attempt to injure an opponent.

When major infractions and particularly match penalties were assessed there was often a gap in time from an initial confrontation between two players that could be deemed a reflex or continuation of a battle as opposed to the calculated delivery of a severe blow that took the infraction to the highest level on my penalty meter.

High on the penalty meter were dangerous and reckless decisions made by a player where sufficient space/distance and time occurred prior to contact on an opponent that was vulnerable. A few examples I might suggest that crossed the threshold for me would be Raffi Torres hit on Brent Seabrook in last years playoffs; from this season Tyler Myers hit from behind on Scott Gomez; Shane Doan elbow to the head of Jamie Benn; Duncan Keith's deliberate attempt to injure Daniel Sedin (all receiving a suspension from Shanny) and even the Milan Lucic open ice body check on Sabres goalie Ryan Miller. Many more specific plays could be cited but I hope you get the general picture as you attempt to apply your personal penalty meter.

My initial take on the Shea Weber incident did not cross the threshold due to the force that was exerted. I concurred with the initial assessment on the ice and the maximum fine levied by Brendan Shanahan. As I reflect on my initial lack of sound judgment on the play I must agree that Shea Weber went beyond a typical hockey response after being slashed in the knee and then bumped from behind by Henrik Zetterberg which caused Weber's head to contact the glass. His immediate hard glove punch that fortunately missed the mark and glanced off the top of Zetterberg's helmet causing Henrik to place his glove in front of his face to act as a cushion was a hockey response; albeit an illegal one.

The continuation of Weber's hostility toward Zetterberg cannot be construed as a hockey play once Shea cerebrally departed the ice and entered the ring by using an open palm on the back of Henrik's helmet to push the Detroit player's head, now cushioned by his hockey glove, into the glass. In this unprecedented turnbuckle reflex maneuver on the ice, Shea Weber did pull up on the force he could have exerted against his defenseless opponent. Putting force or lack thereof aside, what Shea Weber did was optically horrible and potentially dangerous.

"Upon further review" I stand corrected. While Brendan Shanahan and his Player Safety Committee have made many excellent decisions (some popular - some not) in an effort to rid deliberate contact to the head and dangerous hits from the game the lack of suspension in this incident sends the wrong message.

Like a missed call that many of us wish we had a "do over" in hindsight, I hope that you will cut Brendan Shanahan and his group some slack on this decision. Understand this is a work in progress. Not all calls are going to perfect. I attempted to learn something from everyone that I missed; no differently than this one!

Scott you asked me how I would handle situations such as this on the ice and from Brendan Shanahan's chair. Moving forward, if a player was to push an opponent's head into the glass or onto the ice with force such as this I would assess a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injury. This would result in an automatic suspension of the player until a full review and hearing was convened.

Given the current standard that has been established this season for supplementary discipline and dependent upon on the degree of violence and force exerted (in general terms) I would impose a minimum one game to a maximum five game suspension. (I say "general terms" because in extreme cases an open-ended suspension could be imposed).

Shea Weber would have received a one-game suspension in addition to the maximum allowable fine for his inappropriate reaction and potentially dangerous response to a hit by Henrik Zetterberg.
              Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 15, 2012, 09:35 AM.
              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• BUSY HEARING SCHEDULE AHEAD FOR SHANAHAN IN COMING DAYS

A fight-filled Saturday in the NHL has resulted in a busy schedule of hearings for NHL Vice-President of Player Safety Brendan Shanahan.

Many of the hearings come as a result of the cippy Game 2 between the Ottawa Senators and New York Rangers.

Senators defenceman Matt Carkner has a hearing scheduled for noon et Sunday for instigating a fight with a somewhat unsuspecting Brian Boyle of the Rangers Saturday night.

Rangers rookie forward Carl Hagelin has a 1:30pm et hearing Sunday for elbowing Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson in the head. Alfredsson left the game immediately after the hit and did not return.

The New York Rangers wanted the league to examine Chris Phillips' shoulder check to the head of their captain, Ryan Callahan, but no supplementary discipline is expected on the play.

Meanwhile, Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw is also expected to have a hearing for clipping Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith in the head with his shoulder. This hearing is believed to be scheduled for Monday, according to TSN.
                ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  That Ottawa/NY series is looking really good so far. That one and the Pittsburgh/Philly series have been the best.

Looks like we might be getting some big upsets here in round 1. We haven't had one of those wacky upset-filled years in a while.
                  It's shame. Ottawa has likely lost their Captain too for a elbow to the head of Daniel Alfredsson....doubt Ottawa wins the series now.

As for the Penguins v. Flyers 3pm start today, is a MUST see game.

Pens entire season hangs in the balance. FWIW, the Flyers have allowed the first goal in 12 of the last 14 games, and have trailed by multiple goals in nine of those games.
                  Normally a recipe for disaster.......
                  Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 15, 2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
                    I don't know Mike, the perfectly executed stretchpass followed by the brilliant "give-n-go" looked textbook to me and all of 200 feet.

The problem is Malkin's tank is dry after carrying Sid's load while the young captain sat injured over the regular season, not to mention every Pens defensive miscue ends up in their net.

[youtube]3fPZcZg5q2s[/youtube]
                    I think we know one person here that's very eager to carry Sid's load.....

Comment

• Tony G- Just a request. If you can post a video instead of a GIF, please do. Those things usually bog down my computer pretty badly.

Comment

• LET'S GO WINGS!!!!

Comment

• Refs start early with the horseshit calls. Miller shoved into Pricka and ends up getting the interference call.
                          Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• really weak hooking call on Kronwell

Comment

• Wings are getting worked.

Comment

• Now a 5-3 for the predifiles.

Comment

Working...
                                X