No announcement yet.

B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still -- making a shot you'd rather not take is not efficient.
    Yeah, I don't think it's a measure of simply shot selection. It measures scoring efficiency which is, in part, talent-dependent. Contest shots on the block are highly efficient for UK. Wide open 3s...not so much. Last year's M team would have a different profile.

Over the course of 38 games I think it provides a fairly good measure of your offensive effectiveness. If Trey Burke is there to bail you out that's part of your overall efficiency. If he shoots 50% on bail out 3s why wouldn't you want that shot?
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• ASAPSports FastScripts, a system using state-of-the-art technology created to produce verbatim FastScripts of press conferences and player/team interviews at sporting events around the globe.

Look at the answer to the last question in this interview...
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• My thoughts exactly. I'm glad he said it. CBB reminds me a lot of the NHL from the mid 90s through the lockout in 2005. Almost painful to watch. That's what was so refreshing about Michigan the last couple years. They were the Red Wings to MSU's (and most everyone else's) New Jersey Devils. The tournament is still compelling because of the one-and-done format and the finality of it all. Even atrocious games can be interesting for that reason. The first round Purdue-Cincinnati game was one of the worst games of any kind I've ever seen in my life and that is a game that went to overtime on a buzzer-beater and saw Cincy win by a single point. In the final minute of OT Purdue air balled a 3, missed a dunk, missed both FTs in the double bonus, then clanked a game-winning jumper at the horn and the worst part was that that shit had been going on for 2 hours. Purdue shot something like 3-24 from 3-point range and lost in OT by a single point. That's where the game is at today. Louisville played some of the most brain dead basketball I've ever seen on Sunday and went to OT in a regional final. Other than if Michigan is good or it's the NCAA tourney, I'd never watch this crap.
        Last edited by Mike; April 1, 2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• I'm throwing a flag on that post. Izzo emphasizes tough defense and rebounding, but he's also always emphasized fast breaks. None of that walk it up nonsense you see Wisconsin do. In fact the secret of Izzo's success in the tournament is his team gets away from the grind it out Big Ten and they're free!

There's no better example of this than the 2000 National Championship run. They had some great games and in the Final Four they ran into Wisconsin, the slowest, most unappealing game you'll ever see. When they faced Florida, a lot of people thought Florida would run them off the floor with their press and fast break game. It was exactly the opposite.

Comment

• People thought the #6 seed would run the ovdrall #1 off the floor? Really? Besides, that was 15 years ago. Point remains, the ability to score with any regularity is nearly extinct in today's game.

Comment

• Yeah because Florida was killing everyone with their press in that tournament. And that Wisconsin game was an affront to common decency.

You may have a point about college basketball in general but don't slander MSU with falsehoods.

Comment

• Froot I think you're more-or-less right about MSU. They'll run. But I don't necessarily agree with this:

In fact the secret of Izzo's success in the tournament is his team gets away from the grind it out Big Ten and they're free!

I think teams can and do run away from MSU in the tournament. I think that when MSU succeeds it's largely because the other team can't deal with what some Big Ten rivals are used to dealing with. But that statement is Michigan '13 to a tee. Beat up and emasculated in the conference, then escaped and got to play a bunch of teams less physical and that they matched up well with. I think in fact it was pretty easy to see coming, and Beilein has alluded to it as well -- the idea that the Big Ten toughens you up, and then when you get to play teams that don't know you so well, it's great.

Comment

• Teams that are much better talent wise in the tournament do run with the Spartans and generally beat them. It normally happens in the final four. My statement wasn't meant to be all emcompassing, their style can't make up for going against lottery picks. In the early rounds and against similar matched teams it helps. Over the years Izzo's have been able to run in the tournament where they haven't all year in Big Ten.

Comment

• I haven't noticed a difference in fast-break points from conference to tournament play, but sure. Makes sense.

Comment

• Izzo's more recent teams are a far cry from his national title team. Frankly, this year's Wisconsin team isn't anything close to that abomination of team coached by an entirely different coach. Further, Wisconsin is VASTLY outscoring MSU in the NCAA. In fact, Wisky has scored at least 70 in it's last 9 games. MSU has done it 3 times. So, umm, yeah, kudos on pushing the pace and scoring less. Genius.

But, whatever...Paul Westhead RULZ!
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• None of it's an abomination. They play hard on both ends of the floor and there's more than one way to skin a cat. College basketball benefits from the diversity.

Comment

• Who gives a shit about pace? The original point is that today's players can't hit water if they fell out of a boat. Doesn't make any difference if they miss a layup off a fast break or a set play. Scoring is at historic lows and I find that unappealing. Most of these games have been as exciting as women's softball.

Comment

• that's not an ncaa problem. nba too. NBA players do shit I was cut from my HS team at age 15 for doing. Like being unable to use off hand on a layup consistently. Or know how to run a fast break. Billups used to drive me nuts on that one. There's a massive drop in skills. But the game has changed. As long as it's contested at both ends I'm happy. I love Michigan's offense but hate the passive defense, for example.

Comment

• THANK YOU, WISCONSIN! THE NATION IS WITH YOU!

Comment

• Yeah, I'll buy that.

On Wisconsin.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X