No announcement yet.

B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite Youth Basketball League I think.

Comment

• So, what exactly is the crime, here? I'm still not entirely clear on the theory.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Am I the only one who gives a shit about the rules?
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          So, what exactly is the crime, here? I'm still not entirely clear on the theory.
          Government employees (college coaches) took and solicited bribes. 3rd parties bribed said government employees and conspired with them to commit wire fraud.

Comment

• What is the fraud? Who is the injured party? Who was defrauded?

Shoe companies paid coaches and players in a normal business relationship for services and decisions. Now, if true this contravenes a number of league by-laws, but criminal?

Comment

• My guess is the FBI just had some spare time to begin wire tapping a subpeonaeing docs a few years ago and wanted to begin making arrests.

Good thing Im not a lawyer that needs to worry about the why, just attempt to clean up the shit hole basketball recruiting, which this is a step in the right direction.

Comment

• Tax evasion has to be part of it I would think.

Comment

• Tax evasion is the main one I've seen.

Comment

• In limited reading on the subject, I think the Feds are arguing that the players are one of the injured parties. Probably a hard argument to make when they are taking the money, but perhaps easier to make when coaches are taking the money and steering the players to an agent or an apparel company without the player knowing about it.

Comment

• Tax evasion is what got my good buddy Al Capone in trouble too...

fuckin' tax evasion
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        What is the fraud? Who is the injured party? Who was defrauded?........
                        I get the drift of what you're putting out here.

I've not done the research I should do on this before posting a comment. However, it seems to me there is some trolling going on by the FBI. Arrests may be nothing more than that.

I do have a hard time believing that arrest warrants were given, though, without the FBI showing they had probable cause for such arrests to the Judge/Court who issued the four warrants we know about. Isn't this in the public record? I'm assuming if it is, we could certainly learn about it. Maybe not.

Oracle has the right idea though and it supports my notion that the FBI is doing a bit of trolling. Basketball recruiting, from the little I do know about it and from only casual interest in it, is dirty. No wrong in working to clean it up.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Ok, fine, tax evasion. Still, where's the fraud?
                          In limited reading on the subject, I think the Feds are arguing that the players are one of the injured parties. Probably a hard argument to make when they are taking the money, but perhaps easier to make when coaches are taking the money and steering the players to an agent or an apparel company without the player knowing about it.
                          Yeah, that doesn't make any sense to me. In any way. And that's assuming -- one mighty ass big assumption -- that the players don't "know about it."

This is garden variety marketing. I can't, for the life of me, find the fraud.

Comment

• Talent,

Read these 32 pages and give us a synopsis. Thanks in advance.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Oracle has the right idea though and it supports my notion that the FBI is doing a bit of trolling. Basketball recruiting, from the little I do know about it and from only casual interest in it, is dirty. No wrong in working to clean it up.
                              This may be the case. I mean, there's certainly an argument to made that "high profile" shit is good for careers.

That said, (1) I don't think the FBI ought to involve itself in enforcing NCAA amateurism rules; and (2) CBB is "dirty" almost exclusively relative to said NCAA amateurism rules and nothing else.

So, I guess that's what I'm getting at -- I know they're shitting on NCAA rules left and right. But the way they're shitting on them is this: Hey, I'll give you $50,000 if you can help get your kid to go [the proper shoe-school; clothier; agent] and your kid is going to get $50,000 for doing that with an understanding that he'll sign with us and get gads more when it's "above board."

Ok. Pay your taxes. Fine. Where's the fraud?

Comment

• Tax evasion fits under the fraud definition.

Comment

Working...
                                X