X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like that means anything.

Comment

• Wouldn't have expected anything else
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

However, I do believe he's feeling the pressure from Michigan and Coach Beilein. Izzo is no longer the "big dog" in Michigan. Beilein is at least on equal footing with him right now, and could surpass him in a couple years.
        I can't put them on equal footing until Michigan has a deep tourney run. That's the final selling piece to recruits. I think he's very capable of bringing that home, though. I also think there is a chance of Michigan gaining the edge again. Izzo hasn't landed a commit for 2013 yet, while Michigan has ESPN's #12 class.

Comment

• I guess it depends on what you mean by equal footing. Izzo has a ring and multiple final four appearances. But if you're talking about ``just as likely to land big recruits these days'', well that spot may come in the near future.

Comment

• Does anyone feel it is strange that M's return to national prominence in college sports, beyond that which it achieves on sheer reputation and tradition alone, is occurring because of basketball?

Beilein has to deliver some modicum of sustainability before I think M can claim it's back. No doubt, he's delivered the basketball goods in a short time. But he's not in Knights, Smith's or Krzyzewski's league just yet ..... and has a long time to get there.

Frankly, I'd feel much better about the prospects of burying osu, ending their flagship bull shit and achieving national college sports prominence if it were accomplished in football.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• It's the mysterious Hoke effect. Ever since he was hired, man.

Comment

• My angle is that basketball success came because they made an apolitical hire of a good coach who wins without cheating. I love the idea that after all the fussing about football in this town, nobody's going to learn their lesson here -- stop fussing, hire good people, and get out of the way. I say get on board now with the chance to snicker at the buffoons who frustrate you.

Agreed, though -- it would be much more fun if the football program actually got to where we all think it is supposed to be, even from the perspective of a basketball-first person such as myself.

Comment

• I get your point, Hack. I'm also in general agreement with you regarding the tendency of the deciders within the UofM community involved in such things to put superfluous qualifications on the list of things coaching hires have to have before they will be granted access to the inner sanctum of the M athletic Department.

But, I'm not sure that we are all just to close to this and overemphasize the negative aspect of it. I think most college sports programs deal with this kind of stuff when it comes to coaching hires in the revenue sports.

I'm less concerned about this anymore, although I agree that at M it has historically had an undeniable impact, and, nowadays, more concerned about the impact of coaching salary inflation and the factors that are driving it. As well, the huge impact that the potential revenues to be derived from TV are having on college football and basketball are troubling.

Unless leaders grapple with these issues in a serious way, college sports fans are going to continue to see disturbing trends in the behavior of coaches and players.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• This is a great year for college hoops. No real dominant team, but lots of good ones. Personally, I like KU at this stage mostly because they can play inside. McGary is coming along -- and may get more of an opportunity (I haven't a clue about Morgan's injury) -- but he's not there yet. Self does a great job of coaching low post basketball and he has that infernal freshman who is really, really good. I've also seen enough of Louisville to know you they tend to go through a bit of funk and find their March legs. They defend like mad.

But, honestly, I see a ton of teams that wouldn't shock me if they won. I mean, even if you told me Izzo managed to finally win another, I wouldn't be surprised -- and they're the 3rd best team in the conference -- maybe.

A fun year for college hoops, which as I've mentioned before, I'm really glad I've rediscovered. And a great year for B10 hoops. And what's even better, is I can watch these games without anxiety and intensity of football. Yeah, M can go F itself, Bo Ryan and his look of incredulty after his thugs hammer someone can go F himself, Izzo and his contorted face pleaing to a higher power can go F himself and Crean's smirk of destruction can go F himself....but, still, a loss is just a loss.

Speaking of which, I have a shiny nickel that says 55 is enough to win tonight's OSU-Wisky game, which could make the horrific Wisky-MSU FF game/streetfight (53-41) look like the Lakers-Nuggets from the 80s.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Jeff you were there for the argument about the difference between The Process and OSU hiring Meyer...

Yeah. If Michigan doesn't win, it will be because it gets beat up inside and can't defend. Which would be an utter shame and hopefully some serious food for thought for Beilein, because he's got three quality bigs and could sacrifice just some of his so-precious offensive efficiency to man up and defend right. That's a far sturdier hook to hang one's hat on. As is McGary beating people up down low, getting to the line, drawing doubles and passing out to the three-point line. If McGary stays for next year, it's a crime if that's not the first option. One hopes, because Beilein's shown himself to be quite willing to adapt. It would be an absolute shame if this year has to be a learning year for him. McGary's now ready to get some reps. There's still time to go into the tourney with a more polished McGary on that end, and it would make a difference.

Fully agree with talent -- Big Ten basketball is a high-quality product, and you can afford a few losses without it ruining your season. The structure of this sport and its schedule and administration has some very serious advantages over football. It's sustainable.
                      Last edited by hack; January 29, 2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• That's a far sturdier hook to hang one's hat on.
                        Yep. See Louisville. And, for that matter, MSU.

I'm with you on McGary. It depends on the matchup, but I think M will need an inside presence to go far. Plumlee would really flummox them. KU would them them problems. I think Zeller will give them some problems, though he's been in a bit of a funk.

3-point shooting comes and goes. Defense and a post game are rocks. I'd bet on that over 4 games (as a #1 or #2, they're clear until the S16) more than a perimeter oriented team.

Speaking of which, goddamn do I miss Sullinger. Talk about opening up the court....and providing a dependable scoring option.

Comment

• Frustrating. I love everything about Beilein save for that he doesn't get that. Hopefully he's got the orgy of talent needed to win with his system. And if not, he damn well better learn from this. One thing is that against Plumlee or Zeller there is 15 legitimate fouls from Morgan, Horford and McGary. Horford's an excellent one-on-one defender. As long as McGary gets the minutes he'll work his way past being mistake prone. Even Beilfeldt can be asked to go use that thick trunk and root someone out of his position for a few minutes.

I hope Beilein has them ready for all this. Prancing around the perimeter isn't going to work all season.

Sullinger's a great example. Frankly he wasn't even all that good in the post. Just knew very well how to use his body and turn with that half hook. But what a difference that makes...

Zeller -- is it just a funk? I'm awfully unimpressed, frankly. That's not an NBA player. Great but not dominant college player.

Comment

• Sullinger had good touch and a good body for post play.

Beilein is no fool. The guys knows the game. I think he'll work McGary more and more. The problem he has is that McGary is, at best, the 4th best option. He's not a guy, yet, that's good for 2 or a foul on 60% of his post touches. So, I don't fault Beilein for the way the team plays. It plays as it should. I just think that personnel wise they're flawed -- minorly -- and that flaw could be hammered in the Tournament. I also think every team out there is flawed.

I expect that they'll use McGary differently next season when he's their 2nd or 3rd best option. Maybe even 1st, depending on who stays/goes.

Comment

• Does Michigan depend on the three more than an average Big Ten team this year?

Comment

• Of the top teams, they're far more dependent on the 3 than IU, MSU, OSU or Minnesota. Wisky is more dependent, which is of little surprise since they can't score inside at all.

M is 98th nationally in 3PA as a percentage of total attempts, and 77th in 3P FGs a percentage of overall point distribution.

In same categories:

IU: 211, 203
                                MSU: 306, 296
                                Minnesota: 283, 272
                                Ohio State: 191, 161
                                Wisky: 47, 36

Others:

Duke: 206, 112
                                Kansas: 274, 269
                                Louisville: 224, 247

Obviously, you want the 2nd number lower than the first -- indicates better shooting. Duke's numbers are hugely impressive. As you might expect with those rankings, Duke is 4th overall in 3P FG%.

Comment

Working...
                                X