X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Assuming they make the tourney...
    18 wins and counting, two of them over top-20 RPI teams. They'll make it.

Comment

• No bad losses. Need 3 more to lock it up, 2 + B1G tourney win should do it too.

Comment

• no, I think we need 3 + 1 B1GT win... 22 wins and coming out of the B1G will make it hard from NCAA to leave us out

Comment

• They don't need any more impressive wins. Just avoid any bad losses and they can punch their ticket.

Comment

• Honestly just avoiding the bad loss SHOULD be sufficient. 19 wins and two of them very good ones.

Comment

• Hmm -- Hallett at maizenbrew says 3 more wins too. I guess I wasn't quite looking at the conference record, and admittedly 9-9 is iffy for a 19-win team. 8 wins now. So I'll go with two more as well. We'll see if this team has any fight in it, but I think it's reasonable to expect them to win one of the Purdue or @OSU games. Limping into the tournament is not ideal, but it's also not uncommon for a Beilein team. Nor is coming alive in the tournament.

Anyhow, Hallett also points out that during the stretch for Minnesota their best 3 shooter on the floor was at 31%. And yet it was all dribble penetration for the Gophers. Hallet is polite enough not to finger Beilein, but c'mon already.
              Last edited by hack; February 12, 2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• How many times have Beilein teams "come alive" in the tournament? I mean, you have the Trey Burke/Bill Self/FT Fail win over Kansas. And then the Pittsnogle run to the E8 which was basically a win over Wake.

The loss to UK in the E8 was on par with M's seed (#2 losing in E8).

So, is it twice in 9 career tournament trips?

Anyway, this year's team certainly doesn't seem a likely candidate for a deep tourney run.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I would consider making the 16s as ``coming alive'' this year, if you want to be Pedantic Talent about it. It's not like '13 where in the back of my mind I knew the talent was there for a serious run. (Also, do you want to set a numerical expectation for ``not uncommon'' so you don't have to get upset like this?)

'14 is difficult to categorize. Outlier year in which they steamrolled the conference and were shaky in the tournament. Duke lost in the first round and was the #3 seed, so they got to the E8 playing great first halves and terrible second halves against Tennessee and Texas. (And still can't fucking inbound the ball when the other team really doesn't want them to). But you'll have to take my word for it that, that year, I did indeed see that ``oh great we're done with Big Ten teams'' bounce in their step. They wanted no part of the Big Ten tournament, that's for sure.

'11 was an interesting year. They massacred Tennessee and then were a Morris layup away from OT with Duke as a #1 seed. Mexed in conference. '12 saw conference success and a first-round upset.
                  Last edited by hack; February 12, 2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Oh, well, if outperforming their seed is the question, then sure.

Right now they're in the dreaded 8/9 range which makes that unlikely. They'd almost be better off dropping to a 10 or 11 or, I guess, bumping up to a 6 or 7. I think the former is more likely. Buy anyway, the path to the S16 is easier from an 11 than an 8/9, IMO.

Then again, there aren't any great teams this year, so the fear of a #1 isn't nearly as high. So, yeah.....I could be right or I could be wrong, but my analysis of my analysis as waffling nonsense is 100% correct. Suck it!
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think you are best off continuing to analyze your own analysis. Good role for you.

Yes, I agree that I'd much rather be a 10 or 11 at this point. I don't have the numbers but my guess is that it's hard to get those seeds as a Big Ten bubble team. They seem to be pegged as 8/9 teams. All I wanted from conference play was to set ourselves up to get to the second weekend without having to play a #1 seed. ``Depends on the matchups'' always applies, but, honestly, in this case, I think it applies a little extra. I would not be surprised, if they draw a 10 or 11, to see them take down a 2 or 3. Again, it's anecdotal so whatever, but I do think the first weekend of the tournament to them feels like showing up to class and learning the bully is home sick today.
                      Last edited by hack; February 12, 2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        How many times have Beilein teams "come alive" in the tournament? I mean, you have the Trey Burke/Bill Self/FT Fail win over Kansas. And then the Pittsnogle run to the E8 which was basically a win over Wake.

The loss to UK in the E8 was on par with M's seed (#2 losing in E8).

So, is it twice in 9 career tournament trips?

Anyway, this year's team certainly doesn't seem a likely candidate for a deep tourney run.
                        They have been really good in the tourney but they have rarely had a high enough seed to take advantage of it. e.g. in 2011 they assraped Tennessee off of the court in an 8/9 game and then came within a misssed 3-pointer of tying #1 seed Duke in the second game.

The 2013 run also included a 25 point win over 5 seed VCU and a 20 point win against Florida, which was a bigger blowout than the score indicates.

Comment

• Came within a missed D.Morris floater to tie Duke.

Comment

• The outcome of that Florida game was in question for about 5 minutes.

Comment

• Fucking fuck. Those days seem pretty damn far removed now. Nothing can be done about that goddamn Louisville game save for learn from it and start playing to the refs yourself (please adapt already Beilein), but shouldn't have put Morgan in with less than a minute to go in the first half of the UK E8 game. Clear he was gonna pick up a foul. If he'd had 4 to spend in the second half we would have won that game. Would have probably lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four, but would have been back to back final fours.

Comment

• LeVert is supposedly warming up with the team. Beilein said yesterday he wouldn't be ready. It would be awfully nice to have him today. Time's running out for him to make an impact and prove to NBA scouts he's healthy, and for the team to make the damn tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X