osu @ M - Game Day, In Game, Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
    Defense did what they were asked to do. Durkin put them in no position to be successful, he asked his LBs to contain option with no help behind them. A missed read or tackle is an easy 12 plus yard gain.
    It's on the LBs to not miss reads or tackles. That's kinda their job...

Comment

• Originally posted by JRB View Post
      I doubt it. Meyer and Dantonio aren't going anywhere, and Michigan still has a lot of work to do to catch up with them. Michigan has to break in a new QB next year, they've got to find new linebackers(that might be a good thing), and they're still short of game-changers on both sides of the ball.
      Playmaking isn't why they lost the games they did. It would have helped but wasn't the main reason by any stretch.

I'm fine with shoring up the defensive front seven and the O-line. Harbaugh's style of coaching can work without immediate help on offense.

Comment

• WM,

Unfortunately, they're the only LBs he has. Just curious, no sarcasm, how could OSU have been stopped today with our defensive personnel?
        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
          9-3 with this mediocre roster is pretty damn impressive for year 1. Looking forwrd to year 2 when we have more than just a handful of decent players.
          Yes. It's really unbalanced. We have two five-star tailbacks who haven't had a meaningful carry in close to two months. You've got to be trying pretty hard to recruit that position that poorly. On the other hand, all but Glasgow return to that DL, and we get Mone back. Could also have Gary. There's no immediate help at linebacker, which is frustrating.

Comment

• This team probably won't be a NC contender next season either. But I'm not going to let an ass kicking at the hands of a team comprised of future NFL guys dampen my enthusiasm for the future. Then talent gap between these two teams won't be this wide ever again.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRB View Post
              I doubt it. Meyer and Dantonio aren't going anywhere, and Michigan still has a lot of work to do to catch up with them. Michigan has to break in a new QB next year, the offensive line has to improve, they've got to find new linebackers(that might be a good thing), and they're still short of game-changers on both sides of the ball.
              Well there are very significant losses on both rosters. There's a lot of work to do. Let's not forget what a feast/famine experience special teams were this year either. But Harbaugh's a guy that's put out much, much better teams in Year 2 compared to Year 1 at every stop in his college career.

Comment

• Plenty of blame to go around for this one. The two biggest categories seem to be: need overall talent upgrade everywhere on the roster and the dc needs to find a better defensive system when facing this type of option running offense.

Comment

• You don't put RBs, QBs like OSU has vs Ms LBs in 40 1-on-1 situations in a game. When you make a mistake, it's of the critical variety.

Comment

• So what do you do? I have to think Durkin was limited by personnel.

Comment

• I thought there were some effort issues in the second half.

Comment

• I'll explain in depth later when i have time but the very short version is you MUST bring up safeties to help support the run vs read option. Durkin left a free safety 15 yards deep all game, playing 10 vs 11.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          I thought there were some effort issues in the second half.
                          Not surprising, given that you had high hopes and your rival is running through you like swiss cheese. No miracles today. OSU too good.

Comment

• Only post I'll make on this thread. Really impressed with Harbaugh for the season. Things are going to get much better for you guys. Also, Rudock was great today. Really thought he played fantastic. LoS was the disaster area, but that will change.

And as I noted, your meltdown against Sparty will, in the end, hose Ohio State.

I'll leave you to yourselves. Tough day, but good season.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• This was a combination of things.
                              First, credit to O-state --- they fixed their issues, played with fire, and brought their A game for maybe the second time this year.

Second, our LB play has been so-so all year and has largely been covered up by excellent D-line play. Loss of Ojemudia and especially Glasgow really de-stabilized the line.
                              We were completely exposed by Indiana, and O-state is a more talented-version of what IU does.

Third, Durkin has not figured out how to play an up tempo read option team. As Victor Viramontes redshirts next year, might be good to have him serve as the scout team QB to simulate this look.
                              As bad as this loss was, I do expect Harbaugh and Durkin to make some improvements in the offseason in this area.

Just hope recruits don't start fleeing after this performance.

Comment

• Congrats Talent, but oLIEo screwed themselves against MSU
                                Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                                X