Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saban is 2-0 against Jeff Fisher, literally. How many Super Bowls has Osborne been to? ... not as many as Jeff Fisher.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
      Sure as shit isn't from hack's befroom.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
      You don't need an app to know it's a very long streak of shut-outs.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
        Wiz,

I know he lost badly to the Cornholers his first couple of years at MichState. What was that? 21-22 years ago? Surely, that's not what you're talking about, is it? Because that would be Marty-esque.
        STFU
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Osborne owns Saban....just sayin...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
            You don't need an app to know it's a very long streak of shut-outs.
            Heh. By the time you get to be our age, we're all batting from behind on the the count.

(Although I hear entropy likes batting from the front, if'n you get my meaning)

Comment

• disturbing
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• When I was 10-years-old my father, concerned about crime in the Greater New Orleans Area, moved us about 35 minutes north, across gigantic Lake Pontchartrain, to a sleepy town called Mandeville. It was nice. We lived in a country club called Beau Chene (bo shin). Dad played golf daily, there were numerous bike trails, good schools, mom was in a number of clubs and all was well. On the outskirts of the rows of nice houses surrounding the golf course was a swamp fed by the Tchefuncte (Cha-Funk-Tah) River where kids would go to play, unbeknownst to their parents. We swam in swampy ponds, learned to "call" alligators, and a million other things that most parents would have a heart attack if they knew of.

I was in the swamps with a group of my new friends. Bret, Tony, Pat, the other Bret, and a few others. One of them had a cheap bow and a quiver of arrows. Now, I had never shot a bow, but I had read about them and after watching my friends try to hit a snake we were too scared to get close to (and all were missing badly), one suggested, "Let the new guy try!"

Being with new friends in a new area is like being the new guy in a prison cell block. You can't appear weak or unknowledgeable about things. So, I confidently offered, "Yep," and took the bow. When one of the group noted that I had loaded the arrow on the wrong side of the bow, I chuckled and told the group that this was the forgotten way of the famous archers of Genghis Khan and his Mongol hordes as well as numerous other savage and adroitly skilled bowmen of the ages. I had read that somewhere, I think I did, anyway.

With the bow loaded incorrectly, I pulled back and let the arrow go. The snake was doing its best to get away from us and was moving quickly in that zig-zag pattern snakes make and now was at least 20-feet away. It was an impossible shot, but with pure blind luck I hit it, the arrow went through its body, and pinned it.

Wild cheering ensued. I was asked how I did it; how I hit the quickly moving snake from that distance, to which I calmy replied, "You must not aim where the prey is; you must aim where the prey will be." - a line I had stolen completely from some comic book. Maybe it was the Green Arrow. I can't really remember - but it worked. I was a genius. I was Daniel Boone or Grizzly Adams or some other rough-hewn woodsman superhero who could protect the group from non-venomous snakes trying desperately to get away from a group of hyperactive boys.

That fall, I started the 5th grade. Our PE coach was a no-nonsense Cajun named Bergeron. After dressing out for PE one day, we made our way to the west field. Usually played football, soccer, or field hockey there, but to my utter dismay, Coach Bergeron had set up archery targets. Compounding the kick-in-the-gut fear of embarrassment I had was that my exploits on the edge of the swamp that day had become well known. My friends had made sure that everyone in the 5th grade knew that my bowman skills were unparalleled. I was not someone to be trifled with.

So, as Coach Bergeron finished his safety and how-to speech, he asked the group if anyone was good with a bow and would help with a demo. The other Bret shouted and pointed at me, "Coach! He is a bow master!"

Coach offered a monotone, "Is that right? Well, come on up here, son," and handed me the bow and an arrow. With my hands shaking, I pulled back and let the arrow fly. Or tried to. The arrow's end apparently wasn't seated correctly on the bowstring and it dropped at my feet. Raucous laughter erupted. I picked the arrow up and tried again, this time the arrow did fly -hard left, like a bad duck hook in golf- while the bowstring took the first three layers of my skin from my left, inside forearm.

After the errant arrow finally landed, Coach only said, "Okay. Anyone else?" and I melted back into line amidst lingering chuckles.

To this day, close to 50 years later, many old friends from this area still call me "Bowman". It became so common that many think it is my real name. Anyway, I received an invitation today from one of these old friends (his daughter is getting re-married) and above my address was simply "Bowman" - which promted the letter carrier, who is a friend, to ask about the sobriquet. I unfolded the story just as I have for you and after scratching his chin for a few seconds said, "Yeah, fuck ups like that are hard to live down; they stick with you... Bowman."
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; September 9, 2017, 10:26 AM.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Alabowmanalum

Comment

• Some crap named UT Martin is up 16-7 over Ole Miss.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Great win for the Dawgs!

Too many penalties and a couple of missed opportunities made it closer than I would have liked. However, Fromm was steady and Smart took a page out of Alabama's recipe for success: Defense wins games.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson

Comment

• Always a good day when ND loses. And magnificent when osu loses! All these games on at the same time - DVRed have to watch this one later on!

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                          Always a good day when ND loses. And magnificent when osu loses! All these games on at the same time - DVRed have to watch this one later on!
                          Yeah, crazy day with all these huge games on at the same time.

I can't tell is Oklahoma is that good, or if OSU was simply overrated. (Then again, it is probably a little from column A and a little from column B.)

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson

Comment

• AA's SEC rankings:

1. Bama. Pedestrian effort. Always a bit of a let down on weeks after we play a big game and follow it up with a team of this caliber.

2. LSU. They suffocate everyone they play. They haven't played a good yeam, yet, though.

3. Georgia. Gritty win in South Bend. Georgia looks like the shoe-in for the East.

4. Auburn. played toe-to-toe at Clemson. The defense is 100% legit. Working on timing patterns and the like will apparently take some more time because the offense is hot garbage. Of course Clemson's D had a lot to do with that.

5. MissStake. Beat LaTech by 36.

6. South Cackalackey. Dismantled a historically bad Mizzou team.

7. Tennessee. Beat an awful FCS team. But still, undefeated after last week's miracle win vs GaTech.

9. Ole Miss. Started off very slow vs U-Tee Martin. Then worse them down. I mean wore them down.

10. Vandy. This rank might be low. They demolished a FCS team, but still, looked solid this week and last.

11. Kentucky. Struggled to beat Eastern Kentucky.

12. TAMU. Struggled to beat Nicholls.

13. Florida. No action, no change.

27. Mizzou. Just awful. Turrible.
                            Last edited by AlabamAlum; September 10, 2017, 08:19 AM.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Alabamafan, u should start brainstorming good Bama profile pics.
                              Still early, but I wasn't counting on this tossup to get to 8. They will prob be in the 5 to 7 win range.

South Carolina btw... looking at a 4-0 start with a couple not to bad games after that.
                              at A&M, vs Arkansas... 6-0 possibility??
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Lotta season left but I don't see Mizzou getting past 4 wins.

Comment

Working...
                                X